Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jackson Hole (JAC) Delta Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
i fly AA to JAC a couple times a year, so anecdotal, but never had an issue.
Most of the time there are not issues. The 757-200 is the king when it comes to short runways. There are a ton of variables in why there could be a weight issue one day but not most days. They include aircraft MEL’s, surface wind, temp, ISA temp at cruise alt, weather at destination ect, winds at altitude ect..Weather at destination is probably the big variable. If you have a forecast for bad thunderstorms in ATL it might be prudent to put on 10,000lbs more fuel. That comes right out of payload. Add in bad flight winds and maybe you need 15,000 more lbs!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jk88usa
ETA: There is a vid on YouTube of a 752 departing JAC in what looks to be the summertime and the guy doesn’t even begin to rotate until there’s ~1500 feet of runway left and the wheels are finally off with probably 800 left... definitely not a ton of room to spare
I took that video! Even at full thrust, it took over 5000ft until liftoff.
wrp96 and jk88usa like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I’ve been flying into JAC every winter for years. A few years back it was always a CRJ700 from SLC, but last year it was all 319’s. During weekends in winter, DL has direct flights from a lot of destinations, but it’s mostly mainline and the E175.

Saturdays at JAC we’re crazy last winter with all of the mainline aircraft from UA, DL and AA. Flights I’ve been on are always full.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Was this a hot day takeoff issue?

If so it could be more than a type of aircraft issue but also consider time-on-wing for one of the engines
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Saturdays at JAC we’re crazy last winter with all of the mainline aircraft from UA, DL and AA. Flights I’ve been on are always full.
Summer too! This Saturday's flight schedule has 1x 752, 4x 320, 10x 319, 7x E175, 1x CR7. Not bad for a town of 10,000!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Hahaha Oh this is good. The 757 is the most capable aircraft in Delta's fleet. Whatever problem you are facing on the 757 would only be exacerbated on another aircraft.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:46 pm
Suspended

That’s also why nobody flies the 739 into DCA for example...
Say what? The hatred of the 739 on this board is getting ridiculous. It handles some of the longest domestic flights without issue. United will even be running the 737-9M on IAH-ANC. The 739 can handle DCA just fine.

Boeing 737-990/ER - Alaska Airlines | Aviation Photo #4389489 | Airliners.net
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Say what? The hatred of the 739 on this board is getting ridiculous. It handles some of the longest domestic flights without issue. United will even be running the 737-9M on IAH-ANC. The 739 can handle DCA just fine.

Boeing 737-990/ER - Alaska Airlines Aviation Photo #4389489 Airliners.net
739 and 739M are very different aircrafts. Both are pigs when it comes to runway performance. IAH and ANC both have long runways so no issues their but DCAs main Runway 1/19 is only 7,100ft long and a fully loaded 739 flying a MidCon or Transcons from there would be cutting it close. The 739 probably would have no issue flying DCA-ATL, but it still probably would take up more than half the runway.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
739 and 739M are very different aircrafts. Both are pigs when it comes to runway performance. IAH and ANC both have long runways so no issues their but DCAs main Runway 1/19 is only 7,100ft long and a fully loaded 739 flying a MidCon or Transcons from there would be cutting it close. The 739 probably would have no issue flying DCA-ATL, but it still probably would take up more than half the runway.
Alaska has been flying the 739 between DCA and west coast for some time now. If it was that bad I doubt they would use it. I'm not saying it's the best performer but it isn't the pig some people make it out to be. And I'm betting the times it eats up the most runway is during a derated takeoff. Unless you are privileged to the takeoff data (sometimes the crew will print you off a copy) it's hard to say how well it performed on a particular flight.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
... DCAs main Runway 1/19 is only 7,100ft long and a fully loaded 739 flying a MidCon or Transcons from there would be cutting it close.
when AS first applied for DCA-SEA (~2001) they intended to use the 739; iirc they actually completed the first few days of operation in early Sep with the -900, but the sharp drop in demand meant the -700 was a much better fit
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
I am flying JAC-ATL tomorrow morning on a 757.....I will report back on issues!
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Alaska has been flying the 739 between DCA and west coast for some time now. If it was that bad I doubt they would use it. I'm not saying it's the best performer but it isn't the pig some people make it out to be. And I'm betting the times it eats up the most runway is during a derated takeoff. Unless you are privileged to the takeoff data (sometimes the crew will print you off a copy) it's hard to say how well it performed on a particular flight.
The 739 can operate at DCA, but as I said above it would be cutting it close. AS has never ran the 739 into DCA on a regular basis as if they did, there would probably be quite a few days it would have to take a payload cut.

Originally Posted by jrl767

when AS first applied for DCA-SEA (~2001) they intended to use the 739; iirc they actually completed the first few days of operation in early Sep with the -900, but the sharp drop in demand meant the -700 was a much better fit
Didn't DCA have a restriction of aircraft larger than 156 seats for a year or two after 9/11 in addition to the no standing up 30 mins prior/after landing/departure rule IIRC?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:32 pm

AS only flies the 739 in very rarely, and afaik they’re the only ones willing to do it. Everything else at DCA is pretty much an -800, UAs 700 to IAH or ORD, or WNs -700s. I was almost certain they stopped the 739 into DCA entirely a couple summers ago after a few flights took a payload hit.

interestingly the 321s do just fine... tons of them daily

Looking back through FlightAware for AS flights out of DCA, it’s -800s as far as the eye can see
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:32 am

Both the A321 and 737-900 are pigs and will not provide a reliable trans con flight off 7000 foot runways. It can be done but you will have load restrictions and or flag stops. The 757 on the other hand can takeoff from SNA with a 5700’ runway and go to ATL nonstop with alternate fuel and a full load of passengers.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
interestingly the 321s do just fine... tons of them daily
"tons" = TWO long-haul (AS nee VX to SFO, AA to PHX)
Originally Posted by Jeff767
Both the A321 and 737-900 are pigs and will not provide a reliable trans con flight off 7000 foot runways. It can be done but you will have load restrictions and or flag stops. The 757 on the other hand can takeoff from SNA with a 5700’ runway and go to ATL nonstop with alternate fuel and a full load of passengers.
extremely minor point in terms of fuel, but SNA-ATL is 60 miles shorter than DCA-PHX

ok, sorry I got pedantic about DCA; let's get the thread back on the topic of JAC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.