Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering strike at SLC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
So it sounds like there's no "strike" at all, someone screwed up the contract and they just made up this story to cover?
In the strictest sense, no. However the current employees have basically stopped working knowing their jobs are gone. Plus if they get hired by new company itll be at lower wages.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
To PVN it might not be a legitimate “strike” but there is an obvious vendor issue that’s been going on for a while and Delta can’t seem to step in and fix it.
I assume that Delta's contract with the outgoing vendor contains stiff failure-to-perform penalties that Delta is enforcing. What else do you think Delta could/should do?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I flew SLC-PIT last night and all was normal. Probably was not double catered since the plane came from JAC.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by amanuensis

I assume that Delta's contract with the outgoing vendor contains stiff failure-to-perform penalties that Delta is enforcing. What else do you think Delta could/should do?
when a commonly used LAX catering kitchen had listeria last year Delta was somehow able to manage that kitchen being shut down with near normal catering......I guess SLC just has fewer options as a back up?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Delta really dropped the ball. How hard would it have been to load on a few pallets of drinks and snacks on flights going in to SLC? Just a couple of years ago they would order pizza for delayed flights. Why not do that in SLC during this mess? Allowing your passengers to go without is shameful.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM
Still going

SLC-SAT tonight, the flight leader very apologetically offered us a choice of a literal ham sandwich or a chicken caesar wrap from Cat Cora. The price tag was still on both, and a bag of chips was also on the tray. I never thought I’d miss the dancing deer cookie so much. Flight leader gave each of us 2500 miles as an apology.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Ordhater

SLC-SAT tonight, the flight leader very apologetically offered us a choice of a literal ham sandwich or a chicken caesar wrap from Cat Cora. The price tag was still on both, and a bag of chips was also on the tray. I never thought I’d miss the dancing deer cookie so much. Flight leader gave each of us 2500 miles as an apology.
pathetic
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

pathetic
You know what, though, I commend the creativity. At least someone recognized the problem, grabbed the corporate card, and went off to go fix it. Sure beats throwing up your hands and just telling passengers who might not have had a chance to eat before the flight to pound sand once aloft. (And of the grab and go establishments in SLC, Cat Cora's is about the quality pinnacle.)
crank1225 and lupine like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BenA
You know what, though, I commend the creativity. At least someone recognized the problem, grabbed the corporate card, and went off to go fix it. Sure beats throwing up your hands and just telling passengers who might not have had a chance to eat before the flight to pound sand once aloft. (And of the grab and go establishments in SLC, Cat Cora's is about the quality pinnacle.)
sure but there are plenty of reports of planes not being catered basically at all which is inexcusable considering Delta was able to fix this at LAX less than a year ago.....and they did it very quickly with little impact to customer experience
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium

sure but there are plenty of reports of planes not being catered basically at all which is inexcusable considering Delta was able to fix this at LAX less than a year ago.....and they did it very quickly with little impact to customer experience
DL doesn't give a flying F about its core fortress hubs (DTW, MSP, SLC). What are people going to do? Fly another airline?

The state of the MSP and SLC SCs tell us as much. At DCA DL actually has to compete for customers, and it shows.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:33 pm

To be honest, I’d much rather have those sandwiches from CatCora than what Delta usually serves. The main problem with the SLC SC is overcrowding at any time. The airport is undergoing a major expansion and I hope/expect the SC will also be enlarged and improved. For the degree of overcrowding, the staff does a good job keeping up. ​​​​​ I doubt that Delta is ignoring the catering problem. It’s not just SLC captives that are affected. This is a hub,after all.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

This is likely the solution. Complain when they don't load a meal, they figure out a fix, still complain. There's no one else to turn to, and they only need a solution for a few weeks. Not like they can build a new catering line, hire employees and have catering start all within one day.

BTW the wrap looks much more substantial then a regular DL entree.
pvn, Fly_Delta_Jets and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I would take that wrap over the gack sandwiches Delta normally serves.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:49 pm

For cost, NW moved beverages and meals from its MSP kitchens to DTW, initially via widebody aircraft but later truck. Seems like DL could do the same...
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerslc
To be honest, I’d much rather have those sandwiches from CatCora than what Delta usually serves. The main problem with the SLC SC is overcrowding at any time. The airport is undergoing a major expansion and I hope/expect the SC will also be enlarged and improved. For the degree of overcrowding, the staff does a good job keeping up. ​​​​​ I doubt that Delta is ignoring the catering problem. It’s not just SLC captives that are affected. This is a hub,after all.
I hope SLC has an ironclad lease with Delta. If the economy tanks again and they have to choose between LAX, SLC, or SEA I think it will be obvious which gets cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.