Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering strike at SLC?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
This nonsense is still going on in SLC: I’m currently onboard another flight that was completely uncatered. Anyone know when the new caterer comes online and it’ll be safe and reliable to book through this dump again?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond National EE
This explains why only Cheerios (cold) breakfast available two consecutive weeks out of SLC. It's completely a 1st world problem, but I had plenty of time before both SLC flights to eat something substantial.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by slcdc
Just found this article. Looks like Delta is replacing LSG Sky Chef
with a new company, Newrest. First RDU then SLC in September.

Delta Air Lines : A French company now prepares meals for Delta flights from RDU 4-Traders
I enjoyed the note that the launch party was NOT catered by Newrest
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Had a long conversation with the FA on a recent SLC-LAS flight. We were not catered. She was aggravated and embarrassed to admit the situation. Just before takeoff, a ground service person came on board with a bag of 12 small bottles of water for those of us lucky enough to be in FC. That was it. Turns out that was the 5th turn for that plane through SLC with zero catering. Our conversation also included the fact that international flights not being catered with anywhere near enough meals. Totally unacceptable.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:40 am

I wish that the local media would look into this. If flyerCo's post 9 is correct, and it's a staffing shortage, then it is not clear to me that merely changing to Newrest will solve the problem. Surely Newrest is not planning on paying much more than the existing caterer does, because Newrest is probably getting paid less by Delta than the old caterer was.

As I noted in my previous post, my flight to PIT was not provided anywhere near enough buy-on-board meals. But at the time, I assumed it was due to Delta not ordering enough.

Last edited by amanuensis; Aug 17, 2018 at 7:45 am
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
Had a long conversation with the FA on a recent SLC-LAS flight. We were not catered. She was aggravated and embarrassed to admit the situation. Just before takeoff, a ground service person came on board with a bag of 12 small bottles of water for those of us lucky enough to be in FC. That was it. Turns out that was the 5th turn for that plane through SLC with zero catering. Our conversation also included the fact that international flights not being catered with anywhere near enough meals. Totally unacceptable.
My flight was also non-catered with the same experience, but thankfully only a flight to SEA. Someone dropped off three garbage bags full of drinks and an FA carried them to the rear galley and they were obviously quite heavy. Apparently it was her first flight through SLC recently, because "she had never seen this before." The other FA said non-catered flights have been going on for a while out for SLC. To say they were embarrassed and pissed is an understatement.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: DL
A couple of questions:
-Is there anyway ahead of time to know if your flight will be properly stocked?
-If not, has anyone tried buying a meal to carry on board to eat up front, and then submitted the meal receipt for reimbursement?
Would seem fair, if a first class ticket purchase is to include a meal.

edit-Why the red flag to alert a moderator about this post?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hiho silver
A couple of questions:
-Is there anyway ahead of time to know if your flight will be properly stocked?
-If not, has anyone tried buying a meal to carry on board to eat up front, and then submitted the meal receipt for reimbursement?
Would seem fair, if a first class ticket purchase is to include a meal.
I doubt there's any way to know for sure, but if your flight is supposed to be a meal flight and turns out not to be I imagine DL would be forthcoming with some number of miles as a customer service gesture.

Originally Posted by hiho silver
edit-Why the red flag to alert a moderator about this post?
that button appears on every FT post. They don't know in advance which ones people might consider reportable
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Im considering SDC on a SLC Connection because of this
hope they get it together soon, its kind of embarrassing
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:27 pm

Short flight out of SLC today. No vodka. 1 beer. No bourbon. Plenty of gin and scotch. FA told me the new catering contract has not begun and the old caterers are not working so they have limited ability to stock anything. Said it will change on the 20th. That did have the usual snack basket.
On the bright side, NYT, USA Today, WSJ and the local paper all in the SC and told they were back to stay by popular demand.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I wonder what they are doing for meals on the flights that are supposed to offer them. The 20th is a long way from now...and will make for a LOT of disgruntled passengers between lack of meals (or enough meals), water and booze.

I received a call last week re my complaint about the lack of catering. It was basically a waste of my time. Nothing more than a perfunctory apology. No explanation (even though I already knew the reason—you’d think they would give at least some bare bones excuse).
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:30 pm

I’d like to get more info on this. It just seems odd that a major corporation can’t fix a minor logistical issue at one of its major hubs. For a month.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I requested a routing change for my SLC connections in mid-September. Twitter team was 'not aware of any issues' and the phone rep downplayed the problem- waived change fee was the only option I was given
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerslc
I’d like to get more info on this. It just seems odd that a major corporation can’t fix a minor logistical issue at one of its major hubs. For a month.
Ask the UA guys how long the Denver catering issue was going on. It's a short list of qualified vendors.

DEN first class catering issues
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I requested a routing change for my SLC connections in mid-September. Twitter team was 'not aware of any issues' and the phone rep downplayed the problem- waived change fee was the only option I was given
I tried the same today for a flight next week...not only did they say they knew of no issues, they went on to say "SLC has some of the best catering in the system" LOL
Needless to say when MY SDC day comes around I'm still changing my connection to avoid SLC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.