Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there a good way to handle accidentally hanging up on the service desk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

i was just rnow on hold witdh the Damond Medlalion line while an agent was working with their service desk to apply a GUC to a ticket on KLM stock. After about fifteen minutes of wait time (with some check-ins interspersed throughout) she started talking to me I and accidentally hung up on her! I called back right away and got a new agent, told her what had happened, and she put me on hold to work with the international ticketing desk. After about 18 minutes (with check-ins every 6-7 minutes; is that some standard they have while putting you on hold?) she said she was still on hold with the international desk and arranged to call me back if there were any issues, so hopefully it will work out fine.

But I feel bad for hanging up the first time (I wouldn’t be surprised if that factored into agent ratings somehow), am surprised there didn’t seem to be any obvious interest in figuring out how to reconnect with the people who had been working on this before, and had to wait through a lot of hold time again. Is there something else one can do in that situation?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I doubt it affected the first agent's rating. I'm guessing the first agent recovered from the disappointment very quickly. In a very large call center, trying to reconnect you to the first agent (who has already moved on to another call) is not practical.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I doubt it affected the first agent's rating. I'm guessing the first agent recovered from the disappointment very quickly. In a very large call center, trying to reconnect you to the first agent (who has already moved on to another call) is not practical.
May not even be same center. Also could be an at home agent.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I feel like there have been times where when I get into a particularly complex situation, the phone agent asks me for a callback number specifically in case we get disconnected.

But I've had some wine so I could definitely be mixing up DL with some other company.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
I feel like there have been times where when I get into a particularly complex situation, the phone agent asks me for a callback number specifically in case we get disconnected.

But I've had some wine so I could definitely be mixing up DL with some other company.
I've had them do that. Ive even had them take my number and offer to call back once finished.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by gooselee

I knew there was a reason I liked you. ;-)

Wine-O’s of the world, UNITE!
gooselee and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:17 pm

If would be great if Delta called me back.

One reason I absoluely love Expedia is they always call back if we disconnect. I often change tickets / hotels when I am on the road in a foreign country with poor reception or expensive tarrifs. Hang ups happen all the time! Sometime I just ask Expedia agent to call me back when he/she is done. Never missed a call back from them. I am not sure if it's because I am gold+ expedia customer with dedicated agents or it's for everyone.

Delta can definitely implement a similar callback feature at least for elite lines.

It's looks like when line disconnects, DL agent can get another call right away so he/she can not keep working on your ticket if lines are busy.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AntonS
It's looks like when line disconnects, DL agent can get another call right away so he/she can not keep working on your ticket if lines are busy.
FWIW, when I've had the DM line working on a complex ticket change (e.g. involving ticketing support, where the agent ends up on hold too), and they know it's going to take a while, most agents have said that they're fine with me hanging up, that they'll e-mail me the reissued ticket, and that they'll call me if any problems arise. I haven't had any agents proactively offer that, but when I've asked, nobody has ever really seemed to mind (assuming they don't need me in case it's likely an issue will come up).
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: Delta PM
I try not to call, but when I do, i give the agent my number to call me back, should we get cut off.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by AntonS
While DL isn't one of them, I've worked at several call centers in the past and every single one has had a function where I somehow tell the system that I'm ready to accept a new call. This is a critical function because there are almost always CRM notes, wrap up, etc than need to be done after the customer-facing call ends.

The better call centers have ways of knowing if you're delaying the next call because you're working on something vs. just taking a break (and obviously one hurts your call metrics more than the other).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.