Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PVG to SGN, China Southern A320, dare I?

Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles

Flight is 4hrs long, I'm assuming minimal comfort. Anyone have experience with these China Southern A320s?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
J or Y? Makes big difference .
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Y

If I were willing to pay for J, I'd hop over to Vietnam's A350 and fly Y with them.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyerCO
J or Y? Makes big difference .
Both are tolerable IMO, but I'd go with VN on that route if you catch the 350 (their 321s are no better than CZ or MU).
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by mindspin_311
Flight is 4hrs long, I'm assuming minimal comfort. Anyone have experience with these China Southern A320s?
If you can book VN's A350 for a similar price (within $100 USD one way or so), I would do that. That flight departs quite a bit later than the CZ direct flight though if memory serves so it may not necessarily work with your schedule. I typically leave PVG fairly early in the morning if I can. If it is much more than $100 USD one way to do VN instead of CZ/MU, I'd just suck it up and fly CZ. It won't be great, it won't be totally miserable, you'll get to Vietnam nice and early in the day which is never a bad thing.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:05 am
Original Poster

I think schedule-wise, we're just going to suck it up on this one. The 350 would be nice, but it kills the day. With the China Southern flight, I can be on the beach of Phu Quoc by the time the VN flight takes off from PVG.
RumPatrol likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
No clue if you're originating or ocnnecting but when I went to SGN I connected in ICN with KE. They fly A330's ICN-SGN and one would think the two seats in Y would be comfortable. Little less than 5 hour flight and ICN was a breeze to connect in.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: NH/AV CX/AA DL
Why would you say so? Do you mean you're scared of CZ or A320? l'd say there's nothing special about this flight. Although CZ is just average in Chinese airlines, it's not going to be miserable. Just imagine you're on a 4-hour DL A320 flight, the only difference may be the FAs not speaking very good English. In the most recent Skytrax Top 100 airlines voted by customers, CZ ranks 14th and receives the honor of world's most improved airline. I've not flown CZ for several years, but I'd expect they perform better than before based on Skytrax.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've clown CZ in J, and it was fine. Y seat pitch is a bit tight, but it didn't look to be anything to be afraid of.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cino
Why would you say so? Do you mean you're scared of CZ or A320? l'd say there's nothing special about this flight. Although CZ is just average in Chinese airlines, it's not going to be miserable. Just imagine you're on a 4-hour DL A320 flight, the only difference may be the FAs not speaking very good English. In the most recent Skytrax Top 100 airlines voted by customers, CZ ranks 14th and receives the honor of world's most improved airline. I've not flown CZ for several years, but I'd expect they perform better than before based on Skytrax.
Purely a comfort thing.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77
No clue if you're originating or ocnnecting but when I went to SGN I connected in ICN with KE. They fly A330's ICN-SGN and one would think the two seats in Y would be comfortable. Little less than 5 hour flight and ICN was a breeze to connect in.
Originating in PVG, I am living here for the summer.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mindspin_311
Originating in PVG, I am living here for the summer.
How was your flight? I'm flying China Southern from PVG to SGN tomorrow
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Can't complain. Wasn't that full, so my wife and I were able to move to a row of our own. Otherwise pretty uneventful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.