Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are infants under 2 permitted their own seat in Delta One?

Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

I'm just trying to weigh up the pros & cons of our 18-month old as an infant-in-arms vs him having his own seat (in Delta One). This would be a mileage redemption via VS miles, so the cash cost difference is minimal.

Are under-twos even permitted their own seat in Delta One?

In case it makes a difference, we're planning on LAX-HND.

Thank you for your help!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: Delta PM
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../children.html

Infant & Child Seating

We want you and your children to have the safest, most comfortable flight possible. For kids under the age of two, we recommend you purchase a seat on the aircraft and use an approved child safety seat.

If you decide to use a child safety seat aboard the airplane, there are a few restrictions and guidelines you'll need to follow.

Aboard the Aircraft

Where to Sit with a Child Restraint

The window seat is the preferred location for an approved child restraint system (car seat). Other locations may be acceptable provided the child restraint system (car seat) is not installed between other passengers and the aisle. An accompanying adult must sit next to the child. More than one child restraint system (car seat) may be in use in the same row and section of seats. When using a child safety seat, don’t select seats in the following areas:
  • Aisle seats
  • Emergency exit rows
  • Any seat one row forward or one row back from an emergency exit row
  • Bulkhead seats when the safety seat is a combination car seat and stroller
  • Flat bed seats in the Delta One® area of the following aircraft: Airbus A330-200 or A330-300; Boeing 777, 767 or 747 aircraft*
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that. Sorry, I should have clarified my question: if we don't want to use a car seat, is it possible? I appreciate this is against DL's recommendation.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Thanks for that. Sorry, I should have clarified my question: if we don't want to use a car seat, is it possible? I appreciate this is against DL's recommendation.
That is a question I can't answer but am sure someone can!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by newyorklondon
Yes
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrkmsp

Yes
Thank you!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:17 am

If you don't use a car seat, your child will basically not be restrained. Why would you want that? ( even if allowed and I don't know)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awayIgo
If you don't use a car seat, your child will basically not be restrained. Why would you want that? ( even if allowed and I don't know)
There's no reason the child can't be "restrained" as a lap child during takeoff/landing and any turbulence, although I wonder if even just the regular lap belt would be better than mommy's arms. But then having the extra space to lay the child down would probably be appreciated by the parents. It's obviously less ideal from a safety perspective than a car seat, but probably better than a lap child.

OP should be aware that all of DL's business class seats are somewhat separated from one another. The "closest" are probably the middle pair on the 767s but there's still a fairly wide shelf between the seats.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
There's no reason the child can't be "restrained" as a lap child during takeoff/landing and any turbulence, although I wonder if even just the regular lap belt would be better than mommy's arms. But then having the extra space to lay the child down would probably be appreciated by the parents. It's obviously less ideal from a safety perspective than a car seat, but probably better than a lap child.

OP should be aware that all of DL's business class seats are somewhat separated from one another. The "closest" are probably the middle pair on the 767s but there's still a fairly wide shelf between the seats.
That's very helpful, thank you. Our plan was basically to do just as you suggested, and we may still do so on another trip coming up. I've flown Delta One solo quite a bit, but I've never really looked around the cabin with my parent hat on!

For this particular trip, in the end I managed to snag some nice NH F seats (777) via a VS mileage redemption.

For anyone interested in a comparison with DL's policy on under-twos, NH categorically bans infants under two from having their own seat in F, across all aircraft. But, I very much doubt that policy is to do with safety issues!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:07 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Also note that most (all?) of Delta's D1 seats contain an airbag built within the seat belt. I am not sure how they work or are regulated for children.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
We've done this before for our youngest when she was 6 months old to avoid the lap child fee - my wife or I held her most of the time, but she had her own seat for meals and sleeping and most of the time it was in lie flat mode so she could do little baby things.
newyorklondon and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I wouldn't bring my child on a flight and get Delta One seats for not only myself, but also for an 18 month old... It's like throwing money into a fire pit. There's no need to waste $1,000+ so a child can sit in their own seat in Delta One.

Better off just getting two comfort plus tickets.
BRAISKI likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TTT
Also note that most (all?) of Delta's D1 seats contain an airbag built within the seat belt. I am not sure how they work or are regulated for children.
They are easily turned off. I'm fact by default they're off unless buckled. There's a magnet in the buckle portion that causes it to activate. If use an extension, there's no such magnet and it doesn't activate.

As for most D1 seats not allowing car seats, it's due to the fact they're angled. Not sure of reason on 767.
wrp96 and newyorklondon like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They are easily turned off. I'm fact by default they're off unless buckled. There's a magnet in the buckle portion that causes it to activate. If use an extension, there's no such magnet and it doesn't activate.

As for most D1 seats not allowing car seats, it's due to the fact they're angled. Not sure of reason on 767.
They seem to be allowed on the 777 and those seats are angled, although in the other direction (away from windows and toward the aisle).
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO

As for most D1 seats not allowing car seats, it's due to the fact they're angled.
In the words of first-gen Deltalina, use of car seats in aircraft seats angled more than 18 degrees off centerline is not allowed. Finger wag mandatory.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia.../InFO15011.pdf

To the OP's question, I've interpreted Delta's requirements that use of a car seat or a CARES restraint is mandatory for children under two in their own seat.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jul 19, 2018 at 9:42 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.