Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are infants under 2 permitted their own seat in Delta One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are infants under 2 permitted their own seat in Delta One?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I wouldn't bring my child on a flight and get Delta One seats for not only myself, but also for an 18 month old... It's like throwing money into a fire pit. There's no need to waste $1,000+ so a child can sit in their own seat in Delta One.

Better off just getting two comfort plus tickets.
That's a subjective choice people make. You may feel that way. But, OP wants to fly in D1 and does not want to deal with a lap child, other than for limtied periods of time.

Your view could be the case for all ancillary products above BE.
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

There's no need to waste $1,000+ so a child can sit in their own seat in Delta One.
Thanks! As I said in my original post:

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
This would be a mileage redemption via VS miles, so the cash cost difference is minimal.
All we're really talking about is whether I want to spend 10k VS miles (infant-in-arms) or 120k VS miles (own seat) on our son. The cash difference is very small. Luckily we have a lot of VS miles to burn, and using them on DL is often great value.

Not in this instance, but adding an extra seat for an infant using miles can be significantly less expensive than an infant-in-arms fee, which is sometimes calculated at 10% of the cash adult fare.

Last edited by newyorklondon; Jul 19, 2018 at 9:45 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sorro
We've done this before for our youngest when she was 6 months old to avoid the lap child fee - my wife or I held her most of the time, but she had her own seat for meals and sleeping and most of the time it was in lie flat mode so she could do little baby things.
That's great to know, and sort of what we had in mind. Thank you!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:13 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They are easily turned off. I'm fact by default they're off unless buckled. There's a magnet in the buckle portion that causes it to activate. If use an extension, there's no such magnet and it doesn't activate.

As for most D1 seats not allowing car seats, it's due to the fact they're angled. Not sure of reason on 767.
Ah, good to know - thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
All we're really talking about is whether I want to spend 10k VS miles (infant-in-arms) or 120k VS miles (own seat) on our son. The cash difference is very small. Luckily we have a lot of VS miles to burn, and using them on DL is often great value.

Not in this instance, but adding an extra seat for an infant using miles can be significantly less expensive than an infant-in-arms fee, which is sometimes calculated at 10% of the cash adult fare.
If you really want to burn your currency, go ahead and get two seats then. I think it'd be rather uncomfortable constantly sitting with your 18 month old on a 12 hour flight, but everyone is different.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

They are easily turned off. I'm fact by default they're off unless buckled. There's a magnet in the buckle portion that causes it to activate. If use an extension, there's no such magnet and it doesn't activate.

As for most D1 seats not allowing car seats, it's due to the fact they're angled. Not sure of reason on 767.
I'm sure you're right, but this is the official line from DL, which confuses things somewhat (I've added the asterisked reasoning missing from the quote up-thread):

When using a child safety seat, don’t select seats in the following areas: Flat bed seats in the Delta One® area of the following aircraft: Airbus A330-200 or A330-300; Boeing 777, 767 or 747 aircraft*

*Child Safety Seats are not permitted in this area since the airbag seat belt cannot be deactivated.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../children.html
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

If you really want to burn your currency, go ahead and get two seats then. I think it'd be rather uncomfortable constantly sitting with your 18 month old on a 12 hour flight, but everyone is different.
Will do, thanks! ^
emrdoc and Webogirl like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'm sure you're right, but this is the official line from DL, which confuses things somewhat (I've added the asterisked reasoning missing from the quote up-thread):

When using a child safety seat, don’t select seats in the following areas: Flat bed seats in the Delta One® area of the following aircraft: Airbus A330-200 or A330-300; Boeing 777, 767 or 747 aircraft*

*Child Safety Seats are not permitted in this area since the airbag seat belt cannot be deactivated.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../children.html
They're not allowed due to angle. Also not sure if the extension belt is certified to allow car seat use.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

They're not allowed due to angle. Also not sure if the extension belt is certified to allow car seat use.
Top tip, thank you!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by dcadwell
  • Flat bed seats in the Delta One® area of the following aircraft: Airbus A330-200 or A330-300; Boeing 777, 767 or 747 aircraft*
Sooo A350 then?? Delta should also probably remove the 747 from that list.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They’ll be fine with the extra seat. @:-)
Especially if they spend lots of time in the lounge before the flight with the child.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Sooo A350 then?? Delta should also probably remove the 747 from that list.
A350 are forward facing seats. Unless there's a belt issue it's ok.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other issues aside, configs with isolated flatbed will leave a small kid unsupervised and kid tend to try and wiggle out of seatbelts just as you accelerate on takeoff or break on landing
CX and some other international airlines require you to hold a small child on takeoffs even if they have own seat and provide a loop attachment for your belt. Many if not all US based airlines do not allow those attachments however for most practical purposes you are much better off holding your kid rather than leaving him/her unsupervised on takeoff/landing.
IME lapchild arrangement is more practical as you don't get that much value out of that second seat at that age.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
Other issues aside, configs with isolated flatbed will leave a small kid unsupervised and kid tend to try and wiggle out of seatbelts just as you accelerate on takeoff or break on landing
CX and some other international airlines require you to hold a small child on takeoffs even if they have own seat and provide a loop attachment for your belt. Many if not all US based airlines do not allow those attachments however for most practical purposes you are much better off holding your kid rather than leaving him/her unsupervised on takeoff/landing.
IME lapchild arrangement is more practical as you don't get that much value out of that second seat at that age.
My assumption was our son would be required to be in our arms for take-off, taxiing, turbulence, and landing. The flatbed would be just for sleeping.

In a sense, I've had a freebie version of this when an F or J cabin has not been full. Cabin crew have made up an adjacent lie-flat seat as a bed for our son when he was on a lap-seat booking.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:58 pm

Can't speak for Delta specifics, but we have happily had our youngest settled in American's business 77w reverse herringbone (similar to the delta a330 seats etc) and BA's first seats with no problems. We have done exactly as described above of having him in arms for takeoff/landings and settling him on flat seat for sleep during the flight.

FAs have been happy on all occasions, this was at 6-10 month period so he was less mobile than an 18 month year old but I would still highly recommend - it's great for the whole family to get some rest.
wrp96 and newyorklondon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.