Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I've gone a little crazy with my award tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion

Because I know I can redeposit, I have almost all of my 500,000 SkyMiles invested in future award tix. I end up taking maybe 1/3 of the trips, but am always looking for low-mileage award opportunities.

I guess the only downside is if I had a stroke or something, and no one else knew how to cancel the tickets.

How many of your miles do you keep unused, and what percentage do you commit to potential future travel?

I know I should cancel something, but they're all such good deals (48,000 to South America, 160,000 DeltaOne to EZE, 21,000 mile tickets to Canada, etc.) that I have trouble making myself cancel them!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
That's really nice of you, thanks for making it harder for the rest of us to find inventory!

Accounts like yours will be the reason they take away the free redeposit in the future.

I hope at least you cancel them with some reasonable amount of time before the flight.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Diamond, PriorityClub - Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
That's really nice of you, thanks for making it harder for the rest of us to find inventory!

Accounts like yours will be the reason they take away the free redeposit in the future.

I hope at least you cancel them with some reasonable amount of time before the flight.
I couldn't agree more!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Point taken. Yes, typically 45-60 days out.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:19 am

As long as he cancels them by T-72 and there are no conflicting flights that DL can unilaterally cancel there is no risk in doing this unfortunately.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Jul 19, 2018 at 7:40 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:32 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by BostonGuy
Because I know I can redeposit, I have almost all of my 500,000 SkyMiles invested in future award tix. I end up taking maybe 1/3 of the trips, but am always looking for low-mileage award opportunities.

I guess the only downside is if I had a stroke or something, and no one else knew how to cancel the tickets.

How many of your miles do you keep unused, and what percentage do you commit to potential future travel?

I know I should cancel something, but they're all such good deals (48,000 to South America, 160,000 DeltaOne to EZE, 21,000 mile tickets to Canada, etc.) that I have trouble making myself cancel them!
Good for you on finding deals....I have some tickets on hold as well.
noahnoahsmith likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by SSF556
Good for you on finding deals....I have some tickets on hold as well.
I agree with this as well. In today's world, you're crazy not to book so far in advance to capture deals. This is not about "leaving space" for others because everyone should be planning. Maybe I'm old-school, but I get furious every time I see a 300k+ J award to Europe..disgusting.
TheHorta, jaimemayo and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:56 am

Smoke it if you got it. If it fits your lifestyle, and you like tracking things and being detailed oriented, why not?

I lost DL Gold sadly (not that I could do what you're doing with that, anyways), but I still have UA Gold and AA Plat. AA is $$$ for redeposit at Plat so no thanks. But UA Gold is $25 for a redeposit if you do it more than 60 days before the flight, which is nice for some gambling if you think you have a good shot at doing the flight. Within 60 days is $75, but at least that still blows away Delta / American.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
People do this with cruises all the time. I get why folks are upset with it (especially if you're reserving prime seats and all), but it is nice, and thus that's why it's a perk for Plat / Diamonds.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:02 am

I do agree with this part. These need to be flights we have a legit shot at taking. And yes, if you know you are pretty sure to not be taking it, cancel the frikin' thing.

Reminds me of the guy who wrote into Lucky at OMAAT for getting a warning email from SPG. This fool canceled 90% of the reservations he made. He is lucky ALL he got was a warning. Almost as gross as this guy, was that Lucky basically said the guy was pushing things a bit, but did not call him out for the absurdity. I actually like Lucky quite a bit, but I must say I lost some respect for him after that article.
sdadept likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
The OP makes an excellent point for changing rules to give PM/DM only a limited amount of free redeposits...
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by thesaints
The OP makes an excellent point for changing rules to give PM/DM only a limited amount of free redeposits...
Maybe for the benefit of other PM/DM's, but doesn't really change things from DL's perspective, and plenty of people will be up-in-arms about that being a "devaluation". DL was OK with that ticketing being redeemed at the sale price. If OP uses the ticket then DL had a passenger fly a mileage redemption at a price they wanted to sell the ticket for. If OP cancels then DL has the opportunity to turn that ticket into a revenue ticket or claim a higher mileage redemption from someone else. Either way Delta breaks even with what they expected or ends up ahead.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
If this is common practice to any extent it must really mess with Delta’s SkyMiles liability calculations, which I suspect isn’t a welcome variable.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by TheHorta
If this is common practice to any extent it must really mess with Delta’s SkyMiles liability calculations, which I suspect isn’t a welcome variable.
why would it mess with that? They shouldn't consider the miles consumed until the flight is actually flown.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Maybe for the benefit of other PM/DM's, but doesn't really change things from DL's perspective, and plenty of people will be up-in-arms about that being a "devaluation". DL was OK with that ticketing being redeemed at the sale price. If OP uses the ticket then DL had a passenger fly a mileage redemption at a price they wanted to sell the ticket for. If OP cancels then DL has the opportunity to turn that ticket into a revenue ticket or claim a higher mileage redemption from someone else. Either way Delta breaks even with what they expected or ends up ahead.
DL will sell a ticket for certain $. It doesn't mean they're ok with you booking flights you most likely never would take. DL could close OP account for booking flights with zero intention of flying them. It effects both mileage tickets and case tickets.
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.