FCM - Can one SDC to another F seat?

Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
FCM - Can one SDC to another F seat?

Due to weather in the Northeast today I’ve had more flight cancellations and spoken to more DM agents in 1 day than ever before. I had a ticket where I purchased a FCM fare and was told several times these “upsells” were non-transferable. I pushed back telling them I wasn’t voluntarily changing my flights and was trying to rebook due to my original flights being cancelled.

What is is the actual rule here. Are these treated like any G/A/P/F fares in terms of being able to SDC into another premium cabin seat or is there another rule that governs these. I’ve tried searching for answers and couldn’t find anything. Appreciate any help.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Due to weather in the Northeast today Ive had more flight cancellations and spoken to more DM agents in 1 day than ever before. I had a ticket where I purchased a FCM fare and was told several times these upsells were non-transferable. I pushed back telling them I wasnt voluntarily changing my flights and was trying to rebook due to my original flights being cancelled.

What is is the actual rule here. Are these treated like any G/A/P/F fares in terms of being able to SDC into another premium cabin seat or is there another rule that governs these. Ive tried searching for answers and couldnt find anything. Appreciate any help.
As long as the ticket was re-ticketed into a FC fare (which they do as long as it wasnt at OLCI) than FC SDC rules apply. I would try and push for a supervisor. (you technically arent SDC due to IROPS)
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Yes, as long as there are seats available in the F cabin I have never had a problem doing an SDC.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

As long as the ticket was re-ticketed into a FC fare (which they do as long as it wasn’t at OLCI) than FC SDC rules apply. I would try and push for a supervisor. (you technically aren’t SDC due to IROPS)
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes, as long as there are seats available in the F cabin I have never had a problem doing an SDC.
Thanks for both of your prompt replies. The first call resulted in a Suprrvisor being needed to reissue the ticket and both the DM agent and the Supervisor would not budge. They held strong on the “this buy-up does not transfer.” I pushed back several times to the DM agent as I never actually spoke with the Supervisor, she was just mysteriously reissuing my ticket In the background as the DM kept putting me on hold to work with them. I just wanted on the flight so I finally gave up.

It didn’t feel right what the first agent said so I called back and was connected to a DM agent who listened to my situation, apologized and immediately fixed it and put me in F. Unfortunately, about an hour later that flight also cancelled, so time for round three.

The next DM agent was very nice, though also required a supervisor to rebook the new flight. While initially the DM agent was in ageement it should be rebooked in F, his Supervisor pushed back and explained no, it shouldn’t. The agent was very transparent he was on my side and said “I’m going to put you on hold and go back to my Supervisor and ask one more time.” Mysteriously that worked.

This was my first time on a FCM fare and it was quite the day to test these out so to speak. I can only imagine DL’s call centers were overloaded due to all the weather on the east coast and I get that. I just want to make sure should weather or IRROPS strike again I understand what I’m entitled to with these. Thanks so much for all the help!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, just to be clear, did you buy up to first at check-in (which would not re-issue as an F fare), or prior to that (which should)?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Is this a whole trip upgrade or one of the upgrades on one segment? As long as whole trip upgrade and done before OLCI, then you have an F ticket. If done during OLCI then ticket isn't reissued and thus not a F ticket.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What fare class was listed on your ticket after FCM but before rebooking?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've done the FCM buy-up multiple times and also used SDC and haven't had a problem with it. They do have to re-issue the ticket however.
Part of the problem is that the original fare basis remains on the ticket, but then there is a separate document number attached to it for the upgrade. On one occasion I had to let an agent know I bought up online to first class because they only looked at the original fare basis and didn't see the linked document.

I'm not aware of any change/difference in policy here. Its a buy up to first class, but the system doesn't reissue the ticket when you do it. It should be treated as a first class ticket. Where you might loose the buy-up is if you cancel the ticket or make a voluntary change outside of the sdc window.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
So, just to be clear, did you buy up to first at check-in (which would not re-issue as an F fare), or prior to that (which should)?
This was a buy-up weeks before check-in and flight.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is this a whole trip upgrade or one of the upgrades on one segment? As long as whole trip upgrade and done before OLCI, then you have an F ticket. If done during OLCI then ticket isn't reissued and thus not a F ticket.
This was a one-way JFK-BOS flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.