Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Crediting DL flight to FlyingBlue to avoid expiration of miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:41 am
Moderator: National Car
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM

I am faced with a looming end of year deadline where a bunch of miles I transferred into FlyingBlue will expire - had to cancel a trip last summer and there are a good chunk of miles sitting there, so I'd prefer not to lose them. I was hoping to simply credit an upcoming short-haul domestic Delta flight to my FlyingBlue account to keep the FB miles alive until I can use them at some point in the future. When I called, the DL Gold desk agent I spoke with was not familiar with how to do such a credit. While this did not seem overly complicated to me, maybe I am missing something. Anyone have any suggestions (including call back and try again)?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
If I'm understanding your end goal properly, just remove your DL FF number from your upcoming reservation and then add your FlyingBlue one.
dwbf11 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @FlyerWx. If I were to go that route, I'd lose the Precheck and other information that's tied to my DL profile though, right? And is that something the Gold desk should be able to do, or would I do that on my own on the Delta website? I don't care if I don't earn the miles/MQMs but I would like to still have those other benefits available.

Last edited by dwbf11; Jul 17, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Thanks @FlyerWx. If I were to go that route, I'd lose the Precheck and other information that's tied to my DL profile though, right? And is that something the Gold desk should be able to do, or would I do that on my own on the Delta website? I don't care if I don't earn the miles/MQMs but I would like to still have those other benefits available.
No, your FF# is different from your known traveller number. All that information auto populates from your Delta profile, but you can remove the FF# and add a different one in to credit to a different program. Just ensure your KTN is still on the record and you should be eligible for PreCheck selection..

Edit: You should be able to adjust your FF# your self. Go to your reservation. Under "Passenger Information" look for your name in all capitals. Underneath that is your Skymiles# and there should be an option saying "Remove". Choose that. You should then be able to add your flying blue number. If that doesn't work just call the Gold Line and tell them you need to update your FF# to credit another program.
dwbf11 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks [MENTION=833178] I don't care if I don't earn the miles/MQMs but I would like to still have those other benefits available.
If you want benefits associated with SkyMiles you need to credit to SkyMiles.

Delta has had a long-standing practice of using one FF# per itinerary. Don't plan on changing one segment to FlyingBlue, flying it, and then changing back to Delta. That may not work.
dwbf11 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies! And yes, from my research on this question I also read that switching mid-itinerary may be problematic, so I'll run the whole trip through on the FB FF#. As it's a short-haul trip having the SM benefits is of little import here. Much better for me to slum it for an hour than to lose the miles
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks all for the replies! And yes, from my research on this question I also read that switching mid-itinerary may be problematic, so I'll run the whole trip through on the FB FF#. As it's a short-haul trip having the SM benefits is of little import here. Much better for me to slum it for an hour than to lose the miles
Exactly. DL won't let you change a FF number on an itinerary after the first flight has been flown (or maybe the rule is checked in, boarded, etc., but you get the picture. It's all or nothing.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm also looking at doing this because FB looks like a better value for crediting the occasional cheaper paid C+ domestic ticket. Would I still get my AmEx free bag benefit if I'm crediting elsewhere?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I'm also looking at doing this because FB looks like a better value for crediting the occasional cheaper paid C+ domestic ticket. Would I still get my AmEx free bag benefit if I'm crediting elsewhere?
Officially, no. But in reality, yes. At check-in, just show your card and ask if you can still get it for free. I've done this several times and not had an issue.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Can OP still get Sky Team Elite+ benefits? I imagine not because those benefits would be connected to OP's DL status, right? It would be nice if you could somehow keep STE benefits in a scenario like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.