Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Did DL clear all Delta One Upgrades (AMS-SEA)?!?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Just came back from a long flight in crappy C+ on AMS-SEA.

I suspect that DL screwed up clearing upgrades on this flight, not only for me but perhaps for everyone.

Situation as follows:
1) At boarding time, my app shows 7 open Delta One seats.
2) I'm doing a Mileage Upgrade Award. I AM on the waitlist for upgrades. Gate agent refused to clear me for upgrade. First, it was we need 10-15min more (this was at T-1hr), then at T-30min, it was we can't process your upgrade because there was no GUC attached. Now, I know that Mileage Upgrade Award don't always move to gate, but there has been reports when this has been done. My app also shows a separate AMS-SEA leg for Delta One, with seat assignment at gate, so I believe it was entered correctly into the system. Also called Medallion desk and they confirm the upgrade will move to gate if it doesn't clear
3) Normally, I would chalk it off with a mix of incompetence and a difficult upgrade process, but on flight, I spoke to another passenger who was using GUC, and his upgrade did not clear as well. So it's not just me, apparently other people who use GUC, which should be routine to do, are getting shafted.
4) As an extra note, I did not see any display on a list of passengers and who gets cleared, and this is usually the case for domestic flights (not sure about international).

So... how do I figure out how many empty Delta One seats was finally flown on my flight? And any thoughts about this incident?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:10 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Just came back from a long flight in crappy C+ on AMS-SEA.

I suspect that DL screwed up clearing upgrades on this flight, not only for me but perhaps for everyone.

Situation as follows:
1) At boarding time, my app shows 7 open Delta One seats.
2) I'm doing a Mileage Upgrade Award. I AM on the waitlist for upgrades. Gate agent refused to clear me for upgrade. First, it was we need 10-15min more (this was at T-1hr), then at T-30min, it was we can't process your upgrade because there was no GUC attached. Now, I know that Mileage Upgrade Award don't always move to gate, but there has been reports when this has been done. My app also shows a separate AMS-SEA leg for Delta One, with seat assignment at gate, so I believe it was entered correctly into the system. Also called Medallion desk and they confirm the upgrade will move to gate if it doesn't clear
3) Normally, I would chalk it off with a mix of incompetence and a difficult upgrade process, but on flight, I spoke to another passenger who was using GUC, and his upgrade did not clear as well. So it's not just me, apparently other people who use GUC, which should be routine to do, are getting shafted.
4) As an extra note, I did not see any display on a list of passengers and who gets cleared, and this is usually the case for domestic flights (not sure about international).

So... how do I figure out how many empty Delta One seats was finally flown on my flight? And any thoughts about this incident?
It doesn't sound like a screw up to me. As you noted, mileage upgrades aren't supposed to process at the gate. Did you try in the KLM lounge, transfer desk, or check-in desk? You would have likely been able to use miles+cash to upgrade.
Originally Posted by delta.com
Reservation Waitlist: If the Mileage Upgrade Award is not available at the time of request, a Member holding a confirmed, eligible Main Cabin or Delta Comfort+ reservation on a flight may request to be placed on the upgrade waitlist. Waitlist must be requested in advance. Passengers on the waitlist will be accommodated according to Delta's priority rules, which Delta reserves the right to change at any time. Upgrades may be confirmed on Delta or Delta Connection carrier- operated any time up to three hours before departure, if available.
Airport Standby: Mileage Upgrade Awards do not carry over to the Airport Standby List.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html

As for the GUC, there is no airport standby for GUCs in AMS or CDG:
Originally Posted by delta.com
Airport Standby: If an upgrade for the Certificate owner and/or companion (if applicable) is not confirmed from the reservation waitlist prior to departure, then the Certificate owner and/or companion will automatically be added to the Airport Standby List at the time of check-in, provided that check-in occurs no less than 60 minutes prior to flight departure, and will be cleared at the gate if space is available. Passengers on the Airport Standby List will be accommodated according to Delta's priority rules, which Delta reserves the right to change at any time. Airport standby is not available on Air France, KLM, Virgin Atlantic, Korean Air or Aeromexico operated flights as well as Delta operated flights originating from AMS and CDG.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html

Again, using a GUC might have been possible if it was attempted at the KLM lounge, transfer, or check-in desk.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

So even GUC users gets shafted at AMS and CDG? This is beyond belief...
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:27 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
So even GUC users gets shafted at AMS and CDG? This is beyond belief...
They can be done, just need to do it at the lounge. There is no airport standby list to clear from so it needs to be processed differently.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The beauty of outsourcing your ops to ambivalent partners who couldn’t care less.
CPMaverick, Spiff, Grouchy and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It used to work much better to upgrade with miles exAMS during the PMNW days. I suspect this is another instance of DL not playing well with others, including its (alliance and JV) partners.

OT, but why is it that every time I see JV I think junior varsity?
steveholt and hnewman like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
DL systems do not have accurate DoD information at either AMS or CDG, as on day of departure, all flight seat maps and loads are handled entirely by KL/AF systems. There is no way to see accurate DoD information from any DL system at AMS.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
DL systems do not have accurate DoD information at either AMS or CDG, as on day of departure, all flight seat maps and loads are handled entirely by KL/AF systems. There is no way to see accurate DoD information from any DL system at AMS.
BTW, this includes flight status, so don't rely on the DL app to see whether your flight is boarding yet.

Also, IME many flights exAMS and exCDG go to airport control long before T-24, so don't plan to change your seat during OLCI.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, this includes flight status, so don't rely on the DL app to see whether your flight is boarding yet.

Also, IME many flights exAMS and exCDG go to airport control long before T-24, so don't plan to change your seat during OLCI.
I believe T-48. Needs to be early enough to account for passengers checking in who are connecting to the flight.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:23 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
While I have not personally had to deal with it, this entire AMS/CDG "we know nothing about DL upgrades" (in classic Sargent Schultz fashion) is beyond maddening. If these are longstanding transatlantic joint venture partners, it would seem that things should work just like they work on this side of the pond.

It implies that Delta needed KL/AF more than KL/AF needed DL. So, Delta never demanded that those folks learn and apply DL procedures/policies.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
The beauty of outsourcing your ops to ambivalent partners who couldn’t care less.
I got a free upgrade from KL @ AMS a few years ago, because they didn't properly apply my GUC. I guess it works both ways, but it def could be much improved. Shouldn't be a crapshoot whether or not they can process it and where they can process it.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
AMS and KL love destroying J flying experiences even for paying passengers. My last ex-AMS flight on DL in J I was seated around 6 non-revs all under the age of 25 who had been up all night partying. They smelled like alcohol, BO, and weed, not to mention I had the joy of them talking over/around me since they were split up. Too hungover for Selfies at least. The GA lead them all on and handed them their boarding passes with NRSA pasted on them and kissed/hugged one of them clearly knowing them personally.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:46 am

Did you complain to the purser? Did you complain to DL afterward? Also, was the flight operated by DL or KLM?
btonkid12345 and hi55us like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
You and the OP can spend as much time in denial as you want. From the SkyMiles mileage upgrade program rules:

Upgrades may be confirmed on Delta or Delta Connection carrier- operated any time up to three hours before departure, if available.
Airport Standby: Mileage Upgrade Awards do not carry over to the Airport Standby List.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-rules.html#um

This gets discussed again and again.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You and the OP can spend as much time in denial as you want. From the SkyMiles mileage upgrade program rules:

Upgrades may be confirmed on Delta or Delta Connection carrier- operated any time up to three hours before departure, if available.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-rules.html#um

This gets discussed again and again.
Also it's not like OALs don't also have the same policy. It's not just Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.