Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How reliable have you found baggage transfers to be at AMS between DL and KLM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How reliable have you found baggage transfers to be at AMS between DL and KLM?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
OP, if you had said AA to BA or AA to BA, then I would caution you against changing bags... I have had more issues between those two than I care to recount. DL via AMS? Never any issue, although admittedly the sample size is smaller and the connections in AMS tend to be longer (BOS to AMS to DXB/BAH/AUH)
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Delta/KLM lost my bag at AMS, but that wasn't totally the fault of KLM or AMS. There was a major system down moment at my European departure airport that day. My bag spent some extra quality time sunning itself in Florence, but eventually I received it.

Any airport, any airline could have issues with baggage. Always pack a spare outfit and basic necessities in your carryon bag.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bennos
I have absolutely gotten FlyDelta baggage notifications on KL and AF operated flights while transiting AMS and CDG, most recently a couple of weeks ago. That one was AF ticketed, KL coded and operated, though checkin was at JFK (where DL handles checkin for KL operated flights).

I've also gotten notifications when originating in the EU on AF connecting to AF (to the US) (the itinerary might have been under DL flight numbers). That one was reassuring since I was stuck in a 45 minute emmigration queue :P
You may get info, however its not guaranteed and if it does show is not guaranteed to be accurate. Most time it will not show once handed off.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:01 am

FWIW, with several dozen data points, I find DL/KL transfers significantly more reliable than KL/KL transfers through AMS, although that may be more to do with the transfer from Schengen/non-Schengen. I've had my bags go missing 3 times on all-KL itineraries, never on DL/KL. My flight log suggests that I've travelled all-KL about twice as often.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Weean
FWIW, with several dozen data points, I find DL/KL transfers significantly more reliable than KL/KL transfers through AMS, although that may be more to do with the transfer from Schengen/non-Schengen. I've had my bags go missing 3 times on all-KL itineraries, never on DL/KL. My flight log suggests that I've travelled all-KL about twice as often.
Hm, as the same company ( KLM aircraft services ) is service'ing both airlines ( or did DL switch to an 3rd party Ground handling company like Aviapartner? ) i doubt that there are any differencies in baggage handling, i don't think that it makes a difference if they unloading an DL or KL aircraft.
In general: if your connection is less then 40 minutes your bags will most likely not making it onto your connecting flight. But that stands for CDG, FRA or LHR too...and for your bags it does not make a difference if they are connecting fron non-schengen to schengen - thats for passengers only, your bags will be treated the same way regardless of "their" schengen status.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Our connection time (if flights are on time) is 1:50, almost two hours.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I thought it wasn't sinking because of tons of little Dutch boys tossing bags into the sea. After all, my last two destroyed bags were apparently submerged in water for a period of time, though can't say if was at CDG or AMS.
What do you think our dikes are made of..
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
There is a reason I never, ever check a bag.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BostonGuy
Our connection time (if flights are on time) is 1:50, almost two hours.
At 1:50, the odds are greatly in your favor for no issues.

As others have stated, any airline and any airport will have SOME baggage issues. After a hundred or so DL/KL connections at AMS, I've had good success, even on tight connections. CDG, however, is another story...
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.