Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best way to redeem miles for family trip to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

I'm a Plat medallion but new to redeeming miles. We want to book flights for our family of 5 to Europe - destinations flexible - looks like BCN and CDG have some decent options for tickets. My question is whether or not I should wait to book the tickets until i can book the round trip or if I should book the flight over now and then book the flight back 3 weeks from now. I thought booking one way tickets would be best but it seems like I would be paying double miles for that option on delta.com.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I just call and book with an agent?

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You can book USA-Europe-USA without incurring the International Origin Surcharge on DL, AF, KL, Alitalia. But if you book two one-ways you will get hit with the surcharge Europe-USA.

You might identify your U.S. origin airport(s) for more specific help.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. We fly out of AUS. When I look online it looks like the one way flights are more "expensive" 105K miles vs 81K. Plus you have to book a return flight. I just feel like I'm missing something.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by IDtoTX
Thanks. We fly out of AUS. When I look online it looks like the one way flights are more "expensive" 105K miles vs 81K. Plus you have to book a return flight. I just feel like I'm missing something.
I'm sure LBJ will chime in with specifics, but the some of the cheaper international fares tend to have a round-trip purchase requirement.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Call Delta for Air Europa awards that can't be booked online at delta.com, AUS-JFK-MAD (and beyond).
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @FlyerWx. I'll look at some possible round trip options.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Good idea on calling Delta. Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Buying one-way cash tickets to or from the USA can cost nearly as much as a round trip. And finding 5 passengers of awards will be challenging. So my advice is to use points for as many r/t as you can and buy the other tickets cash. Or at least price up a one-way before booking one-way on points! Remember that if yours is cash it will be a bunch of MQM and MQD towards next year's status!

If you have one of the DL Amex cards there's also Pay With Miles at a fixed $0.01/skymile, but they go towards medallion status too and might be necessary if award flights aren't available for all 5.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Gig103. I called Delta and he was able to find 3 seats for my kids going into Milan for 35K each. I'm going to pay for mine and possibly my husbands when we book round trip. Will just call them on the exact day that the flights are released for the return trip home.

Fingers crossed we can get the flights we want for the return!

Appreciate everyones input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.