Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our Hell with Delta. Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Explorer789
What difference does it make when you are flying further southeast to CDG?

What I would like to know is why Delta was changed their reservation seven times? But of course, OP is long gone and will probably never return to this thread to enlighten us.
I suspect 4-5 of those changes were of the the usual +/-10 minute variety that Delta loves to play with on many a schedule change Saturday. Which can be just enough to encourage complacency before they do something that is a big and messy impact on your travel plans and you may or may not catch unless you're really paying attention.
TerryK, wrp96 and rickg523 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Explorer789
What difference does it make when you are flying further southeast to CDG?

What I would like to know is why Delta was changed their reservation seven times? But of course, OP is long gone and will probably never return to this thread to enlighten us.
LHR-CDG-EWR: 3,865 miles
LHR-ATL-PHL: 4,877 miles
The difference is still 1,000 miles. Even if OP was originating from say, MAN and not LHR, it’s still 750 more miles to go via ATL over CDG, plus having to deal with baggage claim and security twice if connecting in ATL versus CDG where I believe one would be able to connect without having to claim bags twice and I believe not need to clear security at CDG as well. Again, if OP was traveling with a lap infant I can understand not wanting to do this (if OP was originating at LHR, I am curious why OP didn’t try to get out on a VS LHR-EWR nonstop).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However answering yes, to "are we good to go," is signifying that the infant is ticketed. After all, one must have a ticket for the infant to be "good to go."
I agree that in the end if you call Delta and they say you are good to go, then that had better be the case and the customer has a legitimate complaint it it isn't. That said, we all know that nothing any CSR tells you verbally means anything if the documentation in writing isn't verified.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CALlegacy
I agree that in the end if you call Delta and they say you are good to go, then that had better be the case and the customer has a legitimate complaint it it isn't. That said, we all know that nothing any CSR tells you verbally means anything if the documentation in writing isn't verified.
Hmmm. I never assume 'good to go' or 'you're all set' means anything until I receive an email confirmation or the reservation is updated. Just yesterday I extended a three-week rental for another week. 'You're all set!' No email yet...
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that in the end if you call Delta and they say you are good to go, then that had better be the case and the customer has a legitimate complaint it it isn't......
Just a short "good to go" means nothing unless you know what question was asked. Perhaps OP asked "There has been schedule changes, is my reservation confirmed?"

....we all know that nothing any CSR tells you verbally means anything if the documentation in writing isn't verified.
Exactly.

Last edited by TerryK; Jul 16, 2018 at 9:16 am
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

LHR-CDG-EWR: 3,865 miles
LHR-ATL-PHL: 4,877 miles
The difference is still 1,000 miles. Even if OP was originating from say, MAN and not LHR, it’s still 750 more miles to go via ATL over CDG, plus having to deal with baggage claim and security twice if connecting in ATL versus CDG where I believe one would be able to connect without having to claim bags twice and I believe not need to clear security at CDG as well. Again, if OP was traveling with a lap infant I can understand not wanting to do this (if OP was originating at LHR, I am curious why OP didn’t try to get out on a VS LHR-EWR nonstop).
I'm starting to think that while OP flew DL TATL, that they bought their ticket from AF. VS and AF/KL are still in the process of becoming partners.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Eurobonus Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Gold
I've done 3 round trips in the last 12 months with a lap infant on DL metal with ARN and MSP as the endpoints. In 5 of the 6 trips, we have a had some issue with the infant ticket despite (1) me calling the Delta ticketing line either to purchase the tickets or immediately after purchase on Delta's website, (2) purchasing an infant ticket, (3) being charged for an infant ticket in standard accordance with 10% of current fare at that time, and (4) seeing the infant added to the online reservation and credit card charges appear.

I have learned to follow up with another call a few days before departure to confirm that the infant is ticketed and to ask several times in various ways whether everything shows correctly on the reservation and SkyTeam partner flights. My calls have been to either the Diamond (2017) or Gold (2018) line. Baesd on responses above, that should fix it, right? That's the general advice here.

I've still had issues at the airport 5 of the 6 times. They have ranged from standing at the check in desk at MSP for over an hour while the agent goes back and forth on the phone with KLM to problems checking in at ARN, resulting in a need for a quick stop at the Crown Lounge in AMS to get final confirmation of the infant's ticket AMS-MSP.

I wouldn't have the audacity to say I'm an expert traveler, but I have taken 50-100 flights a year for the last 6 years and our infant has flown 27 times in her first 13 months of life. I would hope I've learned a little bit. My point is that something really does seem to be amiss with Delta's international infant ticketing system if it has any SkyTeam connections. That may not have been what happened here. Can't say for sure without full details. I'm merely saying I can see how it could have happened.

Don't even get me started on missing baggage from those flights
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
The argument that someone who calls Delta CS to make sure everything with the reservation is good, and the agent says you're all good to go, is still responsible to call multiple more times to make sure that it is actually setup correctly is absurd. Delta is the service provider. It's not the customer's responsibility to confirm that Delta did it right. It's not the customer's job to know all of the rules on how to fly an infant.

That said, while it isn't the customer's responsibility and blame should not be placed on the customer, unfortunately, many have realized that airlines often get it wrong. So it is wise to confirm as much as possible, practically speaking. But again, I don't think you can blame this on the customer.

No idea what actually happened to the OP in OP's situation though, and what the conversation really was like with Delta.
strickerj and Ben1989 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sounds like OP flew UK-CDG-EWR. AF UK-CDG and DL CDG-EWR. (Ticket was priced in Ł thus would need to originate in UK)

Since in Europe, even though ticket was bought from Delta, AF would handle all phone calls. Thus it really wasn't Delta, but AF who messed up. Sounds like the agent messed up the wife's ticket in process of issuing infants ticket.

The one confusing thing is the whole SAS/LaGuardia thing. I'm not sure why they would be involved at all. Also LGA has no international flights unless pre-cleared and a perimeter rule. However SAS does fly into EWR. I'm guessing somewhere something got messed up, and someone said LaGuardia instead of Newark.

OP, question

1)what website/who did you call to book originally?
That was the first thought that came to my mind when I read this, was they called DL, and thought they were talking to DL, but really they were talking to AF. I have had limited experience with AF, and in that limited experience, I got the feeling that you could trust them as far as you could throw them...hence the limited experience It didn't appear to be an org whose customer service was oozing with competence. Who handles your customer service in the Skyteam alliance is an important nuance that should guide how you approach issues. Unfortunately, OP and most others are not aware of this detail that has a major impact on quality of service.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Very confusing.

Possibly DL can decipher the complaint if they have the PNR but right now I don't know what happened.

Seems to be more to this story than what was provided.

Unless I can see everything is proper online I am not accepting anyone's word for anything.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
The argument that someone who calls Delta CS to make sure everything with the reservation is good, and the agent says you're all good to go, is still responsible to call multiple more times to make sure that it is actually setup correctly is absurd. Delta is the service provider. It's not the customer's responsibility to confirm that Delta did it right. It's not the customer's job to know all of the rules on how to fly an infant.
It all depends on what questions were asked, and probably more importantly, which one weren't.
TerryK and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It all depends on what questions were asked, and probably more importantly, which one weren't.
Agreed.

. Did the OP somehow change his ticket oinly?
. How was wife stranded in Paris when supposedly they had no ticket that day?
. Was the conversation solely about the baby?

These threads are purly for entertainment value when all we can ever do is speculate on the facts.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Five pages in and I still have no idea what the heck went on. The OP is missing so many pertinent details that there can be no intelligent discussion about any of it.

But yes, speculation is fun ;-)
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Definitely submit an online complaint/feedback form in addition to the call...

I disagree about non-status pax getting treated like crap - I probably got more compensation mileage wise when I had issues as a non-status member than I now have as a lowly Silver. I would venture to guess it's all based on your CVS (customer value score) that I'm sure they have, but hell I got 10k miles and an apologetic phone call for my TV being out on a 4 hour mid-con flight from ATL-SEA (a joke compared to your troubles).

IMO Delta has some of the best customer service industry (probably the best in the US) if you're firm but polite when they screw up...
I've been on a number of ATL-SEA flights over the years and all of them have been in the 5+ hour range. And I don't care what the airlines call it, but ATL-SEA is NOT a mid-con flight (it is a transcon flight in length.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Why keep speculating?

Either OP returns with the facts or not. If he does, then it is possible to provide useful advice. If he does not, little of what he says makes sense and there are close to unlimited possibilities.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What does that have to do with LHR?
I think they exchange Sterling at par there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.