Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trying to understand same day change standby list ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond

PM and GM on one reservation.

flying LAX > LAS tomorrow. Confirmed on the 9:20am flight.

did a SDC for the 7:00AM flight. Now we are on the standby list and started at 8/9 out of 13 people and 28 available seats.

An hour goes by or so and now we 14/15 out of 19 people.

Wondering how this standby list works with priority.

I assume there are a bunch of BE tickets that are airport assign but anyone have a breakdown on the priority?

And last question for future flights. Does C+ / First upgrades work on standby too?
Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:41 am

Your suspicion is correct- the “Standby” list you see on the app makes no distinction between “confirmed, waiting for a seat assignment” and “space-available standby” of which you belong to the latter. So as customers continue to check in before the flight, those without a seat assignment (mostly those with a BE ticket) will appear on this list and take a greater priority since they do have confirmed space on the flight.

After the check in cutoff time has passed you should have a reasonable idea of where you stand in relation to the amount of unassigned seats. Note that they likely will begin clearing those BE customers into seats before the cutoff, thus reducing the count of available seats but simultaneously reducing the number of pax ahead of you in the list. Also, potential “no-shows” are not counted in this number so even if the situation does not look good 30 min out, their seat will be dropped later on. It pays to stick around until the door is closed. Good luck!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
If you did a SDC you shouldn't be on the standby list. Sounds like you did a SDS.

SDC = same day confirmed
SDS = same day standby

Lots of confirmed passengers will appear on the standby list, it's basically a list of people without seat assignments, not an actual standby list. Confirmed passengers without seat assignments will be ahead of actual standby passengers.

Generally, the priority will be
Confirmed pax
Revenue pax on standby
Non-revs

I have cleared into C+ on occasion from SDS, but not always. The GA will process all the upgrades first, then standbys, so generally there are no seats left to clear into.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
If you did a SDC you shouldn't be on the standby list. Sounds like you did a SDS.

SDC = same day confirmed
SDS = same day standby

Lots of confirmed passengers will appear on the standby list, it's basically a list of people without seat assignments, not an actual standby list. Confirmed passengers without seat assignments will be ahead of actual standby passengers.

Generally, the priority will be
Confirmed pax
Revenue pax on standby
Non-revs

I have cleared into C+ on occasion from SDS, but not always. The GA will process all the upgrades first, then standbys, so generally there are no seats left to clear into.

that makes perfect sense. Thanks. I was using SDC as same day change instead of confirmed. Now I know how to word it. Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cboy

that makes perfect sense. Thanks. I was using SDC as same day change instead of confirmed. Now I know how to word it. Thanks!
SDC can be used for both. However in the DL forum it is usually used as pvn notes.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
SDC can be used for both. However in the DL forum it is usually used as pvn notes.

got it currently 1/2 with 2 seats left. *crosses fingers*
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:39 pm

I had an equally frustrating experience with a happy end to the story on Thursday. I was connecting from a small city via ATL to MCO, and called at 8 AM that day to see what I could do about moving from a 6 PM flight to a 2 PM departure connecting to the 6:15 PM ATL-MCO flight. Wanted to SDC, but apparently my ticket was too low fare...different gripe...but anyway....

The agent on the phone indicated that for the ATL-MCO leg I was the only one on standby with "plenty of seats open" at 8 AM. By 5 PM when I showed up at the ATL gate for that flight, I was 14/25 for 7 open seats. I watched the screen anyway, despite feeling that it would be hopeless, since I was already there at the gate. As the flight finished boarding and they started clearing standbys, I became #7 with 2 open seats showing on the screen. And yet, they kept calling names after the first 2, and lucky me, I made it on the flight (not only that, but in an exit row window seat!). The experience was a great lesson in what a complete, inexplicable lottery this process has become.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ssk1127
I had an equally frustrating experience with a happy end to the story on Thursday. I was connecting from a small city via ATL to MCO, and called at 8 AM that day to see what I could do about moving from a 6 PM flight to a 2 PM departure connecting to the 6:15 PM ATL-MCO flight. Wanted to SDC, but apparently my ticket was too low fare...different gripe...but anyway....

The agent on the phone indicated that for the ATL-MCO leg I was the only one on standby with "plenty of seats open" at 8 AM. By 5 PM when I showed up at the ATL gate for that flight, I was 14/25 for 7 open seats. I watched the screen anyway, despite feeling that it would be hopeless, since I was already there at the gate. As the flight finished boarding and they started clearing standbys, I became #7 with 2 open seats showing on the screen. And yet, they kept calling names after the first 2, and lucky me, I made it on the flight (not only that, but in an exit row window seat!). The experience was a great lesson in what a complete, inexplicable lottery this process has become.
It'd help if they separated out the various standby lists. Currently they're jumbled together and thus no way of knowing if really 2nd or last, even if listed as 1st.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It'd help if they separated out the various standby lists. Currently they're jumbled together and thus no way of knowing if really 2nd or last, even if listed as 1st.
Right, clearly the backend system has different lists, it's simply that DL choses to display all three mixed together on the website/app/GIDS.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by pvn
Right, clearly the backend system has different lists, it's simply that DL choses to display all three mixed together on the website/app/GIDS.
They might not actually have different lists. My guess is they use a legacy standby list function and just have a fairly complex priority system that makes sure the list is ordered properly. Remember that delta’s (and most other airlines’) “backend” system is from the 1970s and the primary functions such a reservation records and ticketing still have to fit into this system.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:20 pm
pvn
Suspended

When I do a SDS, the agent (whether it's a phone agent or skyclub/gate agent) can always tell me without hesitation where I am on the "real" standby list. I'm guessing at the very least whatever they're looking at isn't displaying confirmed pax.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
They might not actually have different lists. My guess is they use a legacy standby list function and just have a fairly complex priority system that makes sure the list is ordered properly. Remember that delta’s (and most other airlines’) “backend” system is from the 1970s and the primary functions such a reservation records and ticketing still have to fit into this system.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
When I do a SDS, the agent (whether it's a phone agent or skyclub/gate agent) can always tell me without hesitation where I am on the "real" standby list. I'm guessing at the very least whatever they're looking at isn't displaying confirmed pax.
Or, they know the various standby codes and can decipher where the splits are.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:48 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by kenn0223

Or, they know the various standby codes and can decipher where the splits are.
In a vacuum that sounds plausible, but given all of the other collective experience we have with phone agents knowing ins and outs of the IT systems, it seems unlikely that I've consistently gotten agents who know all of this off the top of their heads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.