Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Companion Ticket Absurd Restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme

I decided to use one of my AMEX Plat companion certs. It was the first time I’ve ever used one, and I don’t know whether they expire or not, and I’ve lost a bunch of RUCs over the past years because I never use them, so I booked HSV>LAX with my wife and burned the Amex cert.

During the course of booking and at final checkout I see all kinds of notices:

1) I have a bunch of refunds for partial flights that changed at one time or another. Some are for ~$100 and others for >$500. These are cash value, and I often forget about them, but since I was in my wallet to get the companion ticket I noticed I had the $$$ in there too, but... you cannot use those when also using a companion certificate!

OK, I can live with that, I suppose.

2) What I find most egregious is that, should I change or cancel the trip at ANY time after booking, you LOSE the certificate — even if it’s during the 24 hour “grace” period. WTH?!

Unfortunately, my schedule changes day-by-day (sometimes hourly). Now, if I have a change I lose the cert?

I guess that’s just “the way the cookie crumble” but I’ve always expected more out of AMEX, given the fees they charge (especially to the merchant!). This seems like a pretty low-rent thing to do, and I get 4 of these certificates annually— 2 AX DL Plat and 2 AX DL Reserve cards.

Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:27 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I agree - the rules are pretty arcane. But for your #2 there are some reports of being able to change and keep the cert applied to the new reservation.
Do I Get My Amex Companion Certificate Back if I Cancel Within 24 Hours?

So while you don't get the cert back, you still get to use it. YMMV of course.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm not a cardholder so I wouldn't have read the T&C firsthand, but am surprised at #2 . That's lame, they should charge a redeposit fee or subject it to a change fee (if you want to change it instead of lose it).
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does DOT allow loss of the cert if the trip is cancelled within 24 hours? It's hardly a full refund without penalty in such a case.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does DOT allow loss of the cert if the trip is cancelled within 24 hours? It's hardly a full refund without penalty in such a case.
DOT probably hasn't ever addressed it. Majority of people using the certs would never have an issue, and of people that do Delta probably just "bends the rules" as evidenced in the earlier linked thread to avoid it going to DOT to make a decision on. It's in the interest of the airlines to not have DOT make a decision on these types of certificates.

Also not sure if would fall under the scope of DOT, depending on how the arrangement is structured. It could be an AMEX benefit that is administered by Delta; e.g. Delta sells the ticket to AMEX, charging AMEX for a special restrictive fare on behalf of the customer. If the ticket is cancelled within 24 hours the refund would be due to AMEX (in compliance w/ DOT rules), and AMEX can still say that certificate has been used per their terms.
TheHorta likes this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Jul 14, 2018 at 4:27 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:43 pm

Under RFC you get your cert back.

After that, you can change the tickets for a $200 fee for read ticket, provided the new flights also meet the cert rules.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
Under RFC you get your cert back.

After that, you can change the tickets for a $200 fee for read ticket, provided the new flights also meet the cert rules.
So the trick is to make sure that the agent processes it as a change and not a cancel followed by a new booking. That sounds a lot like what happens with GUCs/RUCs.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
OK, so as long as there is some "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" flexibility that's fine with me. The alarm bells DL.com sends up when you're about to pull the trigger had me concerned.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Lots of discounts have restrictions. Lots of people find value in these certs.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ificate-2.html
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:56 pm

I cancelled a flight last year using my certificate within 24 hours of booking and the transaction was reversed and the certificate was put back in my wallet.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Alaska does not return the value of an e-certificate if you cancel the flight.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:49 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
I've used it every year for years and never had an issue. A couple of times I cancelled within the 24-hour period and Delta connected me with an Amex rep who put the cert back into my wallet. As someone has stated, lots of different discount programs have restrictions but all in all I've saved a lot of money on the companion program.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Delta also doesn't return a used RUC if you have to cancel a flight and the RUC already cleared. Guess they just have a use it and lose it policy
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Despite all of the warnings, DL is actually very happy to charge you a $200 change fee + fare difference to make changes after the 24 hour mark. You just need to speak to the Promotions Desk. Of course, doing so will probably wipe away any savings from the companion cert, but if needed it can be done without buying a whole new ticket.

Also, these fares are now medallion upgrade eligible, and you can also pay with cash and sometimes miles to upgrade them in advance, again by speaking with the Promotions Desk.
TheHorta likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.