Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL restrictions on battery packs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:30 am
Original Poster

DL restrictions on battery packs

Has anyone had any grief from DL on carrying multiple USB battery packs? All of the ones I want to carry are under the DOT limit of 100Wh individually, but I want to carry a few of them since I'm going to be out in the boonies for this trip.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by KRSW
Has anyone had any grief from DL on carrying multiple USB battery packs? All of the ones I want to carry are under the DOT limit of 100Wh individually, but I want to carry a few of them since I'm going to be out in the boonies for this trip.
DL isn't gonna have any idea what is in your carry on bag unless you go telling them. TSA is who you need to worry about, and they probably will not care.

Just don't put them in checked baggage and don't make a scene about it at the gate or check in.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The restrictions come from the local airport authorities, not DL. So if you’re flying to mainland China, for example, you’ll be subject to their very strict regulations on battery capacity. But within the US it’s more lenient.
FBplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this is domestic US, TSA does not get involved with the issue. DL does not inspect bags.

If you are traveling from a foreign country, you will need to comply with that country's rules or simply toss the batteries before departing.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:18 am

Battery packs

I have read that a battery pack over 100 watt but under 160 watt is permissible but with the airlines prior approval. So how do one go about getting approval from the airline? I would assume it would need to be in writing. I also have read that 2 battery packs is the limit. I want to take 3. How strict is this policy? I am flying domestic.

Last edited by rjack22; Dec 13, 2019 at 5:19 am Reason: addition
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by rjack22
I have read that a battery pack over 100 watt but under 160 watt is permissible but with the airlines prior approval. So how do one go about getting approval from the airline? I would assume it would need to be in writing. I also have read that 2 battery packs is the limit. I want to take 3. How strict is this policy? I am flying domestic.
With regards to the number of battery packs - I routinely carry 3 (each around 10k mWH) - and have never been questioned or have an issue. To be fair, I wasn't even aware of this limit, so you can say it's 'not strict'.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:35 am

From the TSA blog:

Batteries Allowed in Carry-on Bags:
  • Dry cell alkaline batteries; typical AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, button sized cells, etc.
  • Dry cell rechargeable batteries such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad).
  • Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium).
  • Consumer-sized lithium ion batteries [no more than 8 grams of equivalent lithium content or 100 watt hours (wh) per battery]. This size covers AA, AAA, 9-volt, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, Gameboy, and standard laptop computer batteries.
  • Up to two larger lithium ion batteries (more than 8 grams, up to 25 grams of equivalent lithium content per battery) in their carry-on. This size covers larger extended-life laptop batteries. Most consumer lithium ion batteries are below this size.
  • Lithium metal batteries (a.k.a.: non-rechargeable lithium, primary lithium). These batteries are often used with cameras and other small personal electronics. Consumer-sized batteries (up to 2 grams of lithium per battery) may be carried. This includes all the typical non-rechargeable batteries for personal film cameras and digital cameras (AA, AAA, 123, CR123A, CR1, CR2, CRV3, CR22, 2CR5, etc.) as well as the flat round lithium button cells.
Source: https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/06/11/...ries-your-trip

The fifth bullet point says only 2 batteries. If there's an exception for 3 batteries, I didn't find it on the TSA website.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BenA

The restrictions come from the local airport authorities, not DL. So if you’re flying to mainland China, for example, you’ll be subject to their very strict regulations on battery capacity. But within the US it’s more lenient.
I ran into this problem. Not only is it the capacity of the battery, but it must have the capacity on the battery.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...batteries.html

"Lithium Ion Batteries
  • Customers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160-watt hours per battery.
    • Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160-watt hours is prohibited on all passenger aircraft.
  • Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry-on baggage.
  • Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160-watt hours are allowed. "
I check two of these:
Amazon Amazon
146Wh power banks with the print out from that pro.delta.com link as the "airline approval"

I also carry on one of these:
Amazon Amazon
26,800mAh

along with one of these:
Amazon Amazon

and up to these many spare batteries in checked:
- 18x 18650 batteries (in 2x and 4x belt packs)
- 18x LP-E6N camera batteries (in 4x battery belts)
- 4x 3000mAh flash batteries (in OEM packaging)

Only in international airports do they sometimes question the capacity of the carry ons: TPE, ICN.
But have also been through ATL, LAX, AMS, WDH, NRT, SYD, AKL, PER, BNE with no concern.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
duplicate post deleted

Last edited by BHammy; Dec 13, 2019 at 8:25 pm Reason: duplicate post deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.