Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Domestic First Class vs. Alaska on Transcons

Delta Domestic First Class vs. Alaska on Transcons

Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
This is all really good information, thanks.

Overall, I think Delta is a narrow winner for your needs, with convenience and flexibility trumping comfort.
I think a key priority I did not mention in my OP is flexibility in the event of IROPs, at least for my upcoming trip. On that one, Delta wins.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Alohashirt
Correct... and Delta One is $1000 more than regular Delta First on the days/times I need it. I'm also baffled about why the one D1 flight a day from LAX-DCA is a daytime flight when I would think people would pay a premium for a lie-flat overnight.
Equipment utilization most likely. These planes are often used for INTL (primarily TATL) routes, which involve eastbound redeyes.

Originally Posted by TravelBrighter
2. Delta has more connecting options and generally handles IROPS better
IROP handling is an important consideration for several trips over peak travel and thunderstorm season.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Alohashirt
I think a key priority I did not mention in my OP is flexibility in the event of IROPs...
Weather or tech disruptions at east coast outstations with slim frequencies can be a real problem at Alaska. IME they will resist booking you over to DL or AA (even though DL has often booked me over to AS when DL is having problems and AS is going). You can end up stuck at the outstation for 24 extra hours because you can't find an AS agent willing to surrender you to another airline.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:23 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I would take DL any day over AS, especially in paid F. Its not really a comparable product. I was on AS F a few weeks ago on a transcon and shocked at how poor the service was. My thoughts I posted here... and many agreed that AS F has gotten really bad as of late.

AS F service dropping to new lows
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I've only flown each product a few times and honestly the only thing that stood out to me between the two was I preferred AS's catering. I liked their breakfast and they had a nice hazelnut espresso vodka. AS has more legroom on paper, but not enough that when I was on DL I was shocked or disappointed by comparison. I like that AS still has FC board before all elites, as silly as that is.

Does it bother you to use your own devices for IFE? I prefer having a screen and DL provides one on most flights instead of having to use your smartphone or tablet.
Do you do much international and/or leisure travel that might be the tiebreaker in terms of committing to one airline for status? AS will give you a lot more redeemable miles if you are on their (shrinking) partners, but more flight options on DL/Skyteam I would think.

Also, regarding lounges, if you have Amex Plat you also have Priority Pass which often includes AS lounges -- they are very stringent with capacity controls according to the experiences on here, but it's still not an all-or-nothing tie breaker.

So no clear conclusion for me, which probably means Cost + Schedule as the deciding factor.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SDFreqFlyer
Even without the lounge Terminal 2 at SAN is far better than the mess that's the (literal) circle of hell that's Terminal 1's Alaska departure gates.
Yeah skip the whole theoretical discussion of domestic F products (which are really not all that different) . . . avoid SAN T1 like the plague.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah skip the whole theoretical discussion of domestic F products (which are really not all that different) . . . avoid SAN T1 like the plague.
Can't be worse than Alaska's gates at BOS
BenA and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
There's some bad info in thread regarding JFK/SAN. Delta expanded Delta One to this route. However only on 1 flight a day each direction. This is the only JFK/SAN flight that will include lounge access. All other flights on the route are standard domestic F.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I would take DL any day over AS, especially in paid F. Its not really a comparable product. I was on AS F a few weeks ago on a transcon and shocked at how poor the service was. My thoughts I posted here... and many agreed that AS F has gotten really bad as of late.

AS F service dropping to new lows
Not really a comparable product? Really? Nicer seats and similar service? Literally the only difference between the two is that Delta puts down a white cloth before bringing out the food (which quite frankly is an awkward and unnecessary ritual that is just distracting). How are the products not comparable? If they are not comparable, it is clearly in favor of Alaska. On Delta I have to adjust my laptop screen if the person in front of me reclines - that's a problem you're supposed to have in coach, not F.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's some bad info in thread regarding JFK/SAN. Delta expanded Delta One to this route. However only on 1 flight a day each direction. This is the only JFK/SAN flight that will include lounge access. All other flights on the route are standard domestic F.
I think OP mentioned that he has AX Platinum, so SC access is covered. Of course, I could be remembering that from a different thread. I am getting old.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta

I think OP mentioned that he has AX Platinum, so SC access is covered. Of course, I could be remembering that from a different thread. I am getting old.
He did. My reply was geared towards the posts that had incorrect info regarding service level on JFK/SAN.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
If IFE is important to you, IMO, DL has the huge edge here. DL will have IFE screens in each seat on just about any aircraft you would get out of DCA, except maybe for the shorter hop to DTW, ATL, or MSP if you end up on a 717, MD-88, or MD-90. (I don't know if DL still runs any MD-90s on MSP-SAN so I'd avoid an MD-90 on MSP-SAN if you care about IFE and see that option). But on DL's aircraft with seatback screens, you'll have a huge selection of movies, tv shows, etc. Some jets will have live TV as well, which will be hit or miss on whether the signal is working. On AS, they will give you a complimentary tablet in FC but this won't be passed out until after takeoff and will be collected after landing, and will likely have far less movies/options than the DL IFE.

Both airlines will have access to movies and other entertainment via the wifi that you can access via a personal tablet.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ethernal
Not really a comparable product? Really? Nicer seats and similar service? Literally the only difference between the two is that Delta puts down a white cloth before bringing out the food (which quite frankly is an awkward and unnecessary ritual that is just distracting). How are the products not comparable? If they are not comparable, it is clearly in favor of Alaska. On Delta I have to adjust my laptop screen if the person in front of me reclines - that's a problem you're supposed to have in coach, not F.
I find the catering dramatically worse on AS, for a number of specific reasons.

Short hauls get a tiny, low quality plated “snack” instead of the Delta snack basket, and medium hauls up and down the west coast often get the same “snack” in situations where DL would serve an actual meal. Sometimes, they even skip the catering entirely - on one memorable LAX-SEA flight late at night literally the only food of any kind catered for F was a plate of cookies, and even coach snack mix wasn’t available on request.

Longer hauls do get meals, but they are often unappetizing and made from cheap, gristly cuts of meat... especially when catered from out stations. AS economy buy on board food is actually pretty good in contrast, which makes the lame stuff up front stand out even more.

I get that this can be subjective, but the best evidence I can point to is that AS recenty added the option to decline the F catering in favor of a cheese plate from Y. The fact that there was so much demand for them to do that speaks volumes to how the average passenger feels about what they’re serving onboard.

I’d encourage anyone on the fence to look through the recent meal service threads in the AS and DL forums and make up their mind for themselves.

People used to be roughly the same for both airlines, but lately I’ve personally encountered more bad onboard service on AS (no runs back through the cabin for refills, absurdly slow meal service, surly flight attendants) recently. Judging by the protest lanyards and galley conversation, I get the sense the Virgin merger is affecting morale at the eskimo a bit...
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Can't be worse than Alaska's gates at BOS
The BOS experience is so, so bad. It’s like one of the single gate holding pens from AMS back when they had security at each gate. Except that’s the ENTIRE TERMINAL. The single sad security checkpoint doesn’t even offer proper PreCheck.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ethernal
Literally the only difference between the two is that Delta puts down a white cloth before bringing out the food (which quite frankly is an awkward and unnecessary ritual that is just distracting).
... and yet there are people in the in-flight dining thread who would lose their collective s--- if they stopped putting down the tablecloth. (I'm somewhere in between, I think it's a nice touch, but wouldn't be appalled if it were removed)

Which just further highlights the theme of, different people weight different things differently (and that's ok)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.