Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Passenger who caused flight diversion is paying for it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

I didn't see this covered elsewhere but the unruly passenger who caused a PDX-ATL flight to divert to TUL back in May will pay DL $9,118 for the diversion. He also pleaded guilty to a federal assault charge. This is the first time I'm reading about someone who caused a diversion having to pay the airline for it.

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime...m-13064233.php

-RM
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I didn't see this covered elsewhere but the unruly passenger who caused a PDX-ATL flight to divert to TUL back in May will pay DL $9,118 for the diversion. He also pleaded guilty to a federal assault charge. This is the first time I'm reading about someone who caused a diversion having to pay the airline for it.

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime...m-13064233.php

-RM
Happens frequently. This issue is do they actually pay it. The order to pay is one thing, collecting another.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
It's too bad they couldn't make him pay for the hotels, meals, misconnect time etc. A little over $9,000 isn't a deterrent to most people, but when you see the airline charging a few hundred thousand, people might actually grow up and be a little more respectful in the airport and airplane.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
It's too bad they couldn't make him pay for the hotels, meals, misconnect time etc. A little over $9,000 isn't a deterrent to most people, but when you see the airline charging a few hundred thousand, people might actually grow up and be a little more respectful in the airport and airplane.
for "most people" $9k and $9M are the same thing, they're gonna default on it either way.
jinglish, Caribgrl, IggySD and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
for "most people" $9k and $9M are the same thing, they're gonna default on it either way.
but 9k is 1/25th of 250k, thus it should be easy for most.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Will this count towards his MQD?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Is this PWM eligible? If paid via Delta Amex CC, would this qualify for 2x miles?
Seabilly, defrosted and hi55us like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This was a restitution order as part of a federal criminal judgment. The judgment stands for 20 years. Even if one does not have that much money, all it takes is a relative dying and leaving $10K and that money is gone. You would be surprised at how much restitution is actually collected.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:49 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
all it takes is a relative dying and leaving $10K
lol
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:50 am
pvn
Suspended

it happens to most people two or three times a year
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn
it happens to most people two or three times a year
Either way, I doubt this person is penniless. Generally speaking people in poverty aren't flying transcons. It may be hard to believe but 15-20% of the adult US population have never taken a flight (at least per a study back in 2003 - may be slightly dated now). I would imagine that there is a strong correlation to long term poverty to that percentage.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:23 am

I think the issue is two fold:

First: $9K is no where near the amount of what a diversion costs DL. It probably doesn't even account for the extra fuel much less everything else

Second: People who can't behave themselves on planes are a special breed. The fine could be $9M, plus 1Y in jail, plus a lifetime air travel ban, plus their dog gets shot into the sun, but it's likely to make very little difference. Rationally it makes sense that it would be a deterrent, but it's an inherently irrational act. And there in lies the problem.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Will this count towards his MQD?
Ok, that was funny! 👍
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Often1
all it takes is a relative dying
If that's all it takes then I'm sure we'll see an uptick in diversions.

Last edited by Uncle Nonny; Jul 11, 2018 at 9:55 am
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Well, as the sentencing date has not been set yet he MIGHT want to consider quickly paying up to reduce the likelyhood of jail time in addition to another $5K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.