Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Passenger who caused flight diversion is paying for it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger who caused flight diversion is paying for it

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by kop84
First: $9K is no where near the amount of what a diversion costs DL. It probably doesn't even account for the extra fuel much less everything else
Courts don't make up numbers out of thin air. I expect this is the additional operating costs that Delta could justify to the court.

For example, here is an old post with estimates of fuel per hour for different aircraft. Even adding in another climbout, there is no way this diversion cost over $9000 just for fuel.

How Much Fuel Do Different Aircraft Burn? - Airliners.net
kthomas likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by pvn
it happens to most people two or three times a year
You get 20K - 30K a year from dying relatives?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Courts don't make up numbers out of thin air. I expect this is the additional operating costs that Delta could justify to the court.

For example, here is an old post with estimates of fuel per hour for different aircraft. Even adding in another climbout, there is no way this diversion cost over $9000 just for fuel.

Not just another climb out, but another landing. Also time added to route due to diverting from planned route, and anytime in approach pattern/holding. Plus now needing to have enough fuel to meet legal reserve requirements in case of needing to divert to alternate. Which now must be meet based on current forecast conditions at takeoff from TUL.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave

An extra take off, landing, taxi, I wouldn't be surprised at all it was an extra $9K in fuel...you can't just take someone's educated guess for fuel burn at cruise for what's needed at take off and landing and taxi time.

And that's still before wages, vouchers, airport landing fees, etc.

I bet the true cost of the diversion was likely in the neighborhood of $90k when everything is factored in, and the court charged him 10% as virtually no one has $90K .
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-m...plane-diverts/

If a diversion only cost the airlines $9K they'd happen WAY more often.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
You get 20K - 30K a year from dying relatives?
Perhaps he gets diverted 2 or 3 times a year?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:21 pm

Delta does the right thing to discourage jackasses from behaving like this and half the people here have to complain about it.

If $9k is not a big deterrent to you and others, then I guess you all will stick with Delta if they raise all economy class tickets to at least $9k while the other airlines stay in hundreds, right? It's no big deterrent afterall.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
Second: People who can't behave themselves on planes are a special breed. The fine could be $9M, plus 1Y in jail, plus a lifetime air travel ban, plus their dog gets shot into the sun, but it's likely to make very little difference. Rationally it makes sense that it would be a deterrent, but it's an inherently irrational act. And there in lies the problem.

This is a really important point, and is part of a debate in legal theory and criminal justice theory. Do deterrents work or do people break laws/rules because they are in some way out of control of their own behavior?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
According to LinkedIn, the guy is a Nuclear Construction Engineer. Somehow I think that DL will get their money. But I agree that $9k seems extraordinarily low in terms of the costs associated with causing a diversion. Surely the lawyers figured out that number (or a % of some number) that worked as part of a plea deal. The article does state that he plead guilty. I'm sure DL had to weigh the costs of fighting a prolonged legal battle to get more cash as well...
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:24 pm

Heading down the path of expecting an individual pax to cover the full and true cost of a diversion seems dangerous to me. I'm sure that after everything is said and done it was more than $9K, especially if DL elected to offer pax any type of compensation.

Occasional diversions are part of the cost of doing business as an airline. $100K is a loss that will be meaningless on DL's books but could be financially catastrophic for an individual or a family. I'm not saying that the pax should not have some accountability, but I don't think we want to go down the very slippery slope of exposing pax to this type of liability.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Heading down the path of expecting an individual pax to cover the full and true cost of a diversion seems dangerous to me. I'm sure that after everything is said and done it was more than $9K, especially if DL elected to offer pax any type of compensation.

Occasional diversions are part of the cost of doing business as an airline. $100K is a loss that will be meaningless on DL's books but could be financially catastrophic for an individual or a family. I'm not saying that the pax should not have some accountability, but I don't think we want to go down the very slippery slope of exposing pax to this type of liability.
Agreed. It could also come back to bite them. If Delta can sue and win for financial lossew incurred then so should passengers. If a plane breaks and Delta doesn't get me to my multi-million dollar business deal then shouldn't I have the right to sue Delta for those damages?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Agreed. It could also come back to bite them. If Delta can sue and win for financial lossew incurred then so should passengers. If a plane breaks and Delta doesn't get me to my multi-million dollar business deal then shouldn't I have the right to sue Delta for those damages?

Good point. It really does open a whole can of worms.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

Isn't it just a matter of contract law? In many other situations you could sue and potentially be awarded consequential damages. But iirc they're excluded in Delta's and most other airline's CoC. Is there anything otherwise special about air travel where those types of damages aren't awarded as a matter of law? I.e. an FAA rule?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:22 pm

I think you're drawing a false parallel here in two ways. First, while aircraft maintenance is considered the airline's fault for the purposes of accommodation, etc., it's nowhere near the level of legal culpability of a drunk and disorderly passenger. It's more akin to a medical emergency, and I don't believe anyone would claim the passenger should reimburse the airline for a diversion for illness. Experientially that's also the case, i.e. when the airline announces that the plain is going MX and we're going to have to stay the night, I'm annoyed, but I take my voucher and go get a good night's sleep, I don't think that the airline messed up - that's part of flying. But when a passenger causes a disruption and we have to divert, I am justifiably angry at that customer because they made a decision to inconvenience me.
The second false parallelism is level of awareness of the financial consequences. A disruptive passenger (especially the ones who say things like "I need to get out of here") are aware that their actions will cost the airline money, so they have culpability of that loss. The airline has no idea that you're going to close a multi-million dollar deal. On this one I'm not sure of the legal ramifications, but it seems to me that there would be less culpability for costs that you had no way of knowing existed compared to ones that are a known quantity (you know the airline has to pay for fuel, personnel, etc)
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
A disruptive passenger (especially the ones who say things like "I need to get out of here") are aware that their actions will cost the airline money, so they have culpability of that loss.
This could very well be a mental health emergency. In other words, the cause for the diversion could be medical. In fact, unless a pax has become intoxicated and that is the reason for their loss of control, I would suspect that the vast majority of cases in which a pax is so disruptive as to cause a diversion could be very fairly classified as mental health emergencies.

I don't know the details of this particular case, so I'm not commenting on that. I'm just making the point that human behavior is more complex than you suggest and that mental health issues can lead to very real unanticipated (by the pax) medical emergencies.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
I think you're drawing a false parallel here in two ways. First, while aircraft maintenance is considered the airline's fault for the purposes of accommodation, etc., it's nowhere near the level of legal culpability of a drunk and disorderly passenger. It's more akin to a medical emergency, and I don't believe anyone would claim the passenger should reimburse the airline for a diversion for illness. Experientially that's also the case, i.e. when the airline announces that the plain is going MX and we're going to have to stay the night, I'm annoyed, but I take my voucher and go get a good night's sleep, I don't think that the airline messed up - that's part of flying. But when a passenger causes a disruption and we have to divert, I am justifiably angry at that customer because they made a decision to inconvenience me.
The second false parallelism is level of awareness of the financial consequences. A disruptive passenger (especially the ones who say things like "I need to get out of here") are aware that their actions will cost the airline money, so they have culpability of that loss. The airline has no idea that you're going to close a multi-million dollar deal. On this one I'm not sure of the legal ramifications, but it seems to me that there would be less culpability for costs that you had no way of knowing existed compared to ones that are a known quantity (you know the airline has to pay for fuel, personnel, etc)
A friend of mine was traveling DCA-MSP-OMA and was trying to get home to Omaha to see her grandmother before she died. She was up against the clock. When she got to her gate for the flight to OMA the agent said the flight to MKE has been cancelled because the aircraft went mx. So they pulled the plane from OMA and gave it to the MKE flight. I think that is a situation where damages may be warranted. My friend should have been able to get to Omaha on time. There was nothing wrong with their scheduled aircraft. Delta took it away and rerouted it. They took away something that can never ever be compensated appropriately. It's quite sickening to see the undying support for Delta no matter how awful and unethical they act.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.