Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and KLM both promise me a 55 min transfer at AMS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and KLM both promise me a 55 min transfer at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by BigFlyer

The other US carriers at Schiphol do some form of interview, but don't require you to go to a separate location for an interview as does Delta.
Isn’t this because of the number of DL flights to the US from AMS? Multiple flights to JFK, ATL, DTW, MSP.
Looking at the UA schedule, I think there is only 1x each to IAD, ORD, EWR and IAH?
And AA only to PHL?

Maybe I’m missing something but D1 seem much more convenient than the old method of security and interviews at the various gates.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mot29

Isn’t this because of the number of DL flights to the US from AMS? Multiple flights to JFK, ATL, DTW, MSP.
Looking at the UA schedule, I think there is only 1x each to IAD, ORD, EWR and IAH?
And AA only to PHL?

Maybe I’m missing something but D1 seem much more convenient than the old method of security and interviews at the various gates.
I have not flown DL out of Amsterdam since the new system. But it seems to me that you can't miss a flight due to the security interview if it is at the gate - but, you can miss your flight if you are going to or coming from an interview at a remote location.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Repooc17
That is a form of security interview for US-bound flights. I know other airlines do the same for US-bound flights at Schiphol.

I have actually never flown KL to the US. I have flown many one-ways from the US to AMS on KL, but have always returned from a different airport or on a different carrier at AMS.
Its not an interview. It's one question designed to ensure person packed their own bag.

US carriers do an actual interview. They don't just ask if you packed your own bag. They ask where you've been, why, where you going, why, what work do you do, etc... They're profiling you to determine if you should get extra security scrutiny or even be allowed onboard.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
This thread has multiple questions, but in my frequent AMS transits this year, here are some notes:

* For the flyer going OKC-ATL-AMS-OTP, all your flights are non-Schengen, so there is no passport, no security, no nothing - - just go to your next gate once you land at AMS.

* For flyers going non-Schengen to Schengen, the queues can be short, or mount up quickly and substantially; in that case, there is someone who will allow people with the tightest connections to come over and join a shorter line, depending on your departure time. The agent will call out "everybody with 12:45pm departures can come over here," then in a few minutes 12:50, then 12:55 as the minutes tick by - - be prepared to access that short queue as soon as your departure time is called.

* For flyers going Schengen to non-Schengen, the area sectioned off for U.S. and other passport holders with chips in their passports can go pretty quick - - if you head to the far left queue (highly recommended) there is a spot where one line dumps into three processing gates, instead of one gate per line; at these passport reader gates you enter a sectioned spot, put your passport into a reader, it reads it for up to 30 seconds, and then tells you to proceed and get a stamp - - no hassle, no questions - - just a machine then an automatic stamp from some person with no other agenda).
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Question about transferring from Schengen (TXL to AMS) to US/non Schengen because I must have done something wrong last time:
I got off the TXL flight and went into lounge 25. They directed me to go downstairs to passport control. I went through passport control and ended up in luggage claim and the general airport terminal. It took forever to get back airside. There must be a better way for airside transfer? Exactly where do I need to go from the Schengen airside area?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should follow signs for connections/transfers toward the D/E/etc. gates (you probably land in C IIRC) and do passport control on the same level as most of the gates. Going down the big stairs/escalators signposted as arrivals or exit takes you to baggage claim.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by duluthDL
Question about transferring from Schengen (TXL to AMS) to US/non Schengen because I must have done something wrong last time:
I got off the TXL flight and went into lounge 25. They directed me to go downstairs to passport control. I went through passport control and ended up in luggage claim and the general airport terminal. It took forever to get back airside. There must be a better way for airside transfer? Exactly where do I need to go from the Schengen airside area?
When you land at AMS, find out your gate and just head towards that gate (there will be signs). Do not worry about passport control, you will automatically get to passport control on the way to your gate.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Were you denied access to lounge 25, or were they simply suggesting you go through passport control first and then use lounge 52 instead? Obviously they didn't mean for you to exit the terminal and re-clear security. During my AMS connections, I've always ended up in lounge 25 going US-Europe and lounge 52 Europe-US (since it's a bit less stressful to be in the area where you're going next), but can you do the reverse if you want to? Lounge 52 is nicer so I could see spending some time there with a long layover after coming from the US. Or do they make you go to 25 as a matter of policy (since presumably some travelers would miss their connecting flights unnecessarily by not realizing they might be facing a lengthy passport check line)?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cory6188
No security check when going Schengen to non-Schengen in AMS. As you indicate, you will have to make a stop at D1 or E1 for the mandatory security interview, but there's a lane for short connections, and the actual interview process only takes about a minute or two. You won't have time to wander around to shop, but if there's any airport where i'd feel confident doing that connection, it'd be AMS.

I can't speak to the notification from D1/E1 if you're running late, but FWIW, even though DL has signage about gates closing 20 minutes (or maybe it's 30 minutes?) prior to departure, I've seen people board as soon as 5 mins before the door closes.
A couple months ago I made a SUPER tight connection on klm coming back from India to MSP through AMS. I got to the gate just as the last few people were going through the gate paper verification stuff and I got in line. They gave me a ton of dirty looks but I got on the plane. They had already upgraded someone into my full fare business class seat that they had to downgrade but I got my seat with no time to spare. 4 colleagues travelling with me didn't make the flight (i was the only one who mostly ran the whole way).
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Were you denied access to lounge 25, or were they simply suggesting you go through passport control first and then use lounge 52 instead? Obviously they didn't mean for you to exit the terminal and re-clear security. During my AMS connections, I've always ended up in lounge 25 going US-Europe and lounge 52 Europe-US (since it's a bit less stressful to be in the area where you're going next), but can you do the reverse if you want to? Lounge 52 is nicer so I could see spending some time there with a long layover after coming from the US. Or do they make you go to 25 as a matter of policy (since presumably some travelers would miss their connecting flights unnecessarily by not realizing they might be facing a lengthy passport check line)?
I had a pretty long connection time (2 hr?). I got off the plane from TXL, saw lounge 25 and thought I'll stop by there. I wasn't denied access; they asked where I was going. I said DL to ATL. They said, you need to go downstairs for passport control and then the next thing I know, I was outside in the general airport terminal. I was just blindly following what they told me to do. I'm thinking that there is a way of getting to lounge 52 from lounge 25 without going downstairs? I should have just followed signs for gate xx to ATL?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:58 pm

I had a pretty long connection time (2 hr?). I got off the plane from TXL, saw lounge 25 and thought I'll stop by there. I wasn't denied access; they asked where I was going. I said DL to ATL. They said, you need to go downstairs for passport control and then the next thing I know, I was outside in the general airport terminal. I was just blindly following what they told me to do. I'm thinking that there is a way of getting to lounge 52 from lounge 25 without going downstairs? I should have just followed signs for gate xx to ATL?
Sounds like the directions were correct, but not specific.

Lounge 25 is one floor up from the gates. To get to any gate or the passport control between the Schengen and non-Schengen gates, you would indeed have to go downstairs and through passport control.

You went downstairs, but did not go through passport control.

So the directions were cruddy, they should have said go down one level only and follow the signs to your gate.

As I said in my earlier post - don't look for passport control, look for your gate. Passport control will find you.
In2ishn and Gig103 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Lounge 25 is on the mezzanine level, so you need to go back down to the main level. But then you need to follow signs to your connecting gate. You must have accidentally gone through a door for baggage claim/ground transportation and left the secure area. If you stayed in the terminal you would have seen a passport control check point (basically right below lounge 25 and directly adjacent to the window side of the building). Once through passport control you can access lounge 52, which is where the lounge agent was most likely telling you to go.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
For Schengen - Non-Schengen passport control. You need to turn left after you go down, not right. If you leave the KLM lounge and are still at level 1 you will see the Grand Cafe Het Paleis, that's the correct side.

The airport maps in the Delta app might also come handy here to give you guidance.
In2ishn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.