Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and KLM both promise me a 55 min transfer at AMS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and KLM both promise me a 55 min transfer at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
This thread is igniting my concern about a 50 minutes connection in AMS next January.

I am flying OKC-ATL-AMS on DL then KL to OTP where I have a 4.5 hour layover to fly on Tarom to IAS.

Where is this short connection line? I went through AMS last month and all the lines were long but an agent near the non-EU line was yelling something like if you flight is leaving at xxx time then get in this priority line. That seemed ad hoc and not something marked with signs.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes. The system wouldn't let them check bags. It saw the delayed arrival and since violated MCT refused check in.
I almost always travel with hand baggage only. I wonder how they handle that if you use OLCI and don't stop at the check-in counter at the airport. Do you go to your connecting gate after landing in AMS and find out that they changed your reservation?

Perhaps some day they'll establish custom MCTs rather than one size fits all. For example, you need less time to connect to a non-Schengen flight at AMS than a Schengen flight. You need less time to connect to a Schengen flight at AMS if you have an EU/EEA/Swiss passport. You need even less time if you are a Privium member.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Perhaps some day they'll establish custom MCTs rather than one size fits all. For example, you need less time to connect to a non-Schengen flight at AMS than a Schengen flight. You need less time to connect to a Schengen flight at AMS if you have an EU/EEA/Swiss passport. You need even less time if you are a Privium member.
They already do regarding your first point—there are separate MCTs depending on the combo of International and Domestic flights. Domestic in the context of AMS means Schengen—and if you're connecting Schengen-Schengen, you only need 25 minutes.

I'm not aware of any separate MCT based on the passport of the flyer, though. I've always thought it would be nice as a global entry flyer to have shorter I-D connections available in the US—I usually am through immigration within 5-10 minutes of doors opening in the US. I strongly suspect, though, that it would be hard to program that into GDS logic.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:00 pm

If you connect from what schengen country to USA destination what passport control / security question screening do you need to do. So far I've only done that coming from landside and it wasn't in a place easily reached on a connection.
This time I'll be doing HAJ -AMS-ATL -JAX and in a relatively short connecting time of 1:35hrs. Is that low enough to look for short connection lanes?
It's the first time I connect in AMS instead of starting my trip with a more or less direct flight to ATL.
I'm good with ATL connection times and immigration directions and wait times but I'm a bit worried the klm hop might also be delayed and cut even more into my connection time
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by linnet
If you connect from what schengen country to USA destination what passport control / security question screening do you need to do. So far I've only done that coming from landside and it wasn't in a place easily reached on a connection.
This time I'll be doing HAJ -AMS-ATL -JAX and in a relatively short connecting time of 1:35hrs. Is that low enough to look for short connection lanes?
It's the first time I connect in AMS instead of starting my trip with a more or less direct flight to ATL.
I'm good with ATL connection times and immigration directions and wait times but I'm a bit worried the klm hop might also be delayed and cut even more into my connection time
One question. Are you on DL or KL AMS-ATL?

You'll clear exit immigration at AMS. No need to reclear security. If US passport holder, can use automated machines to exit. I believe 60 minutes is cutoff for short connection line. Though as you're exiting and not entering you shouldn't need to worry. Now if you fly DL you'll need to stop at the document/security question check station. The gate that shows on your BP is where this is located. Once done there they'll tell you your actual gate. KL doesn't have to do this BS. 1.35 should be plenty of time.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I almost always travel with hand baggage only. I wonder how they handle that if you use OLCI and don't stop at the check-in counter at the airport. Do you go to your connecting gate after landing in AMS and find out that they changed your reservation?

If already checked in there's no issue. However if you haven't checked in then the system looks at the MCT based on the current ETA. At time I went to checkin it was showing delayed enough to be below MCT. I saw the flight as I passed by it. I did stop and ask about being put back on. However they had already sold out all J seats.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:04 pm

I booked klm due to paying with a voucher but the flight is a codeshare operated by DL.
I'm a EU citizen. So that means the gate on the BP will be the security question check.
I was worried how to find that from airside as the last time it didn't look that accessible from there
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by SamOF
Ah! That's an expensive mistake on their part
I think KL605 is an expensive mistake on their part, I got over 6K in EC compensation out of that route last year...
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by caliform
I think KL605 is an expensive mistake on their part, I got over 6K in EC compensation out of that route last year...
Have to agree. I forgot also got reimbursed 250€ for hotel and 30€ for meals. Since DL handles the claim for US residents I've found it's better to just pay upfront for hotel at one I like and then get reimbursed. At least as a DM, DL doesn't balk at the bill. Normally stay at the airport Hilton or the Doubletree across for AMS Sentral station.

This is third time in last two months.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF
They already do regarding your first point—there are separate MCTs depending on the combo of International and Domestic flights. Domestic in the context of AMS means Schengen—and if you're connecting Schengen-Schengen, you only need 25 minutes.

I'm not aware of any separate MCT based on the passport of the flyer, though. I've always thought it would be nice as a global entry flyer to have shorter I-D connections available in the US—I usually am through immigration within 5-10 minutes of doors opening in the US. I strongly suspect, though, that it would be hard to program that into GDS logic.
Even without regard to the passport of the flyer - connecting in AMS coming in from the US flying out to a non-Schengen country takes no longer than a "domestic" connection at AMS - there is no security check and no immigration or customs check.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
OP, what is (fake) KLM?

All pax go through security interview for US bound flights, inciuding KLM. Some are conducted at check-in/bag drop (landside); while others at the gate (airside).
This simply isn't true. DL is the only airline at Schiphol with the ridiculous security theater. A massive waste of time for all involved.
I recently flew KL and they simply asked if I had packed my bags myself. No stupid questions.

I never really understood the point of these interviews to begin with. Once everyone has been through security, everyone can co-mingle, exchange luggage, or do whatever they please.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rwSEA
This simply isn't true. DL is the only airline at Schiphol with the ridiculous security theater. A massive waste of time for all involved.
I recently flew KL and they simply asked if I had packed my bags myself. No stupid questions.

I never really understood the point of these interviews to begin with. Once everyone has been through security, everyone can co-mingle, exchange luggage, or do whatever they please.
There's a reason they went away domestically. I mean, has anyone ever said "No, I didn't pack my own bags, I let a stranger pack them."
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum

Well at least as of last August KLM was very much participating in the "ridiculous security theater" on my KLM-metal flight to JFK. So unless things have changed since then DL is not alone at AMS in inflicting this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
That is a form of security interview for US-bound flights. I know other airlines do the same for US-bound flights at Schiphol.

I have actually never flown KL to the US. I have flown many one-ways from the US to AMS on KL, but have always returned from a different airport or on a different carrier at AMS.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
That is a form of security interview for US-bound flights. I know other airlines do the same for US-bound flights at Schiphol.

I have actually never flown KL to the US. I have flown many one-ways from the US to AMS on KL, but have always returned from a different airport or on a different carrier at AMS.
KLM does not do a security interview at Schiphol - at least not for passengers with hand baggage only.

The other US carriers at Schiphol do some form of interview, but don't require you to go to a separate location for an interview as does Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.