Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

POLL? What % of DMs rely on $25K waiver for status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you earn Diamond Status?
Medallaion Qualification Dollars
85.94%
Waiver via AMEX spend of $250,000
14.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

POLL? What % of DMs rely on $25K waiver for status?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:09 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Renes Points
This is not the point. CLEARLY there are unlimited smarter ways to spend this much spend (for most). That is NOT the point for this thread. The point is for those who want DM with DL they can do it for little cost other than time. We could spend forever talking about value but for those who do value DL there is a way for little out of pocket. Agree?
Opportunity cost is a cost whether you want to ignore it or not.
ATOBTTR and ethernal like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:11 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The poll is not really very useful IMO, since it doesn't tell us anything about people who relied on the waiver when it was $25k but have now either upped their MQD or just decided not to go for DM again.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:25 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
The poll is not really very useful IMO, since it doesn't tell us anything about people who relied on the waiver when it was $25k but have now either upped their MQD or just decided not to go for DM again.
What would be better poll choices?
RobertS975 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99
What would be better poll choices?
What if you added a third choice 'Abandoned DM because of higher waiver spend'?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
The issue for me is retirement.I thought I would have the $25K AMEX spend as currently have over 400K MQMs and earning over 160K per year. I figured I would have a few extra years as DM, but alas no. I will be yearly PM after retirement. I was about to cancel by AMEX Reserve Monday but they offered me 20K peso for $3K spend. Should be done with that this week. Free points as far as I am concerned then I will cancel.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
This is not the point. CLEARLY there are unlimited smarter ways to spend this much spend (for most). That is NOT the point for this thread. The point is for those who want DM with DL they can do it for little cost other than time. We could spend forever talking about value but for those who do value DL there is a way for little out of pocket. Agree?
You continuing to say this doesn’t make it true for everyone, even if it is for you. THAT is the point. Being able to MS requires having the financial resources to be able to do so - both in costs and in tying up credit or capital; it’s not just time, fees, or even opportunity costs. Now one could argue that if one has a credit issue they probably shouldn’t be worried about MSing to meet a waiver for DM status but there are those of us who pay our CC bills in full every month who still don’t necessarily have the capital or credit to float $15K-20K+ a month even as MS beyond our current expenses. So for you to dismiss it as “not that hard” is either out of touch with the financial resources of many people or is purposely insulting to many people in that you seem to be making fun of them for not having as much capital or credit or assets as you.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Agree now disagree when I retire.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

You continuing to say this doesn’t make it true for everyone, even if it is for you. THAT is the point. Being able to MS requires having the financial resources to be able to do so - both in costs and in tying up credit or capital; it’s not just time, fees, or even opportunity costs. Now one could argue that if one has a credit issue they probably shouldn’t be worried about MSing to meet a waiver for DM status but there are those of us who pay our CC bills in full every month who still don’t necessarily have the capital or credit to float $15K-20K+ a month even as MS beyond our current expenses. So for you to dismiss it as “not that hard” is either out of touch with the financial resources of many people or is purposely insulting to many people in that you seem to be making fun of them for not having as much capital or credit or assets as you.
I was MSing when my net worth was more negative than probably most people's is positive, and my only assets were the student loan funds that I had distributed to me on top of my tuition costs (which were mostly gone by the end of every semester).

MSing does not require capital, income, or assets. All it requires is credit. It's true that a lot of people can't get a 10k limit, but talking about MSing doesn't mean you're out of touch or insulting people. This is a forum devoted to MS-type activities (finding and exploiting loopholes in systems).

It'd be like saying, every time someone says they didn't get upgraded, that that person is insulting all the people that never get to fly in F. It's "not that hard" to be able to fly in F. Sure, there are people without the means to do so, but if you can get approved for a credit card with a 25k mile bonus, you can fly in first. It doesn't take any skill.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
I was MSing when my net worth was more negative than probably most people's is positive, and my only assets were the student loan funds that I had distributed to me on top of my tuition costs (which were mostly gone by the end of every semester).

MSing does not require capital, income, or assets. All it requires is credit. It's true that a lot of people can't get a 10k limit, but talking about MSing doesn't mean you're out of touch or insulting people. This is a forum devoted to MS-type activities (finding and exploiting loopholes in systems).

It'd be like saying, every time someone says they didn't get upgraded, that that person is insulting all the people that never get to fly in F. It's "not that hard" to be able to fly in F. Sure, there are people without the means to do so, but if you can get approved for a credit card with a 25k mile bonus, you can fly in first. It doesn't take any skill.
It’s not insulting or demeaning to simply talk about it. It IS insulting or demeaning to say or imply it’s “easy” for everyone when it’s not easy for everyone, especially to $250,000 a year, as everyone’s circumstances are different. It’s one thing to talk about how to do MS from a factual standpoint in how to do it. But saying it’s “not hard to do” is not a fact. That’s an opinion. Trigonometry, Calculus, Differential Equations, Advanced Engineering Math, etc. were “easy” for me. Yet it would be insulting for me to sit over someone struggling to do those courses and say “Oh come on this isn’t hard to do. It’s easy!” Obviously it CAN be done. Whether or not something is easy depends on the person and their circumstances and abilities, be it mathematical skills for Calculus, etc. or financial resources and abilities for MS. THAT is the difference.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

It’s not insulting or demeaning to simply talk about it. It IS insulting or demeaning to say or imply it’s “easy” for everyone when it’s not easy for everyone, especially to $250,000 a year, as everyone’s circumstances are different. It’s one thing to talk about how to do MS from a factual standpoint in how to do it. But saying it’s “not hard to do” is not a fact. That’s an opinion. Trigonometry, Calculus, Differential Equations, Advanced Engineering Math, etc. were “easy” for me. Yet it would be insulting for me to sit over someone struggling to do those courses and say “Oh come on this isn’t hard to do. It’s easy!” Obviously it CAN be done. Whether or not something is easy depends on the person and their circumstances and abilities, be it mathematical skills for Calculus, etc. or financial resources and abilities for MS. THAT is the difference.
I think you've made your point. Now you are just becoming repetitive. Agree to disagree and move on.

Regards
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I am still lost as to how it is 'easy'. I know the tricks. I've used it from everything to buying Gift Cards at Kroger for Home Depot which nets a large Cash Back. And odd looks as to why I am purchasing so many gift cards. Regardless I then had Home Depot gift cards(which we did use to pay for carpet) that were used for something. It was thousands of dollars. With MS you still end up with the spend AT SOME POINT. Unless someone has really found a way to make the spend, get DM and have it all returned to a net cost of Rene's supposed '290 in expenses'. The money is spent. Again which is not 'easy' for most.

Now there are some ways to get true cash equivalent but 250K worth in 12 months? Rene must know some super great ways to do this.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I am still lost as to how it is 'easy'. I know the tricks. I've used it from everything to buying Gift Cards at Kroger for Home Depot which nets a large Cash Back. And odd looks as to why I am purchasing so many gift cards. Regardless I then had Home Depot gift cards(which we did use to pay for carpet) that were used for something. It was thousands of dollars. With MS you still end up with the spend AT SOME POINT. Unless someone has really found a way to make the spend, get DM and have it all returned to a net cost of Rene's supposed '290 in expenses'. The money is spent. Again which is not 'easy' for most.

Now there are some ways to get true cash equivalent but 250K worth in 12 months? Rene must know some super great ways to do this.
Buying store branded gift cards isn't so much "Manufactured Spend" as it "advance spend". Manufactured spend is spend in which you end up getting your money back, sans fees. For example, you could use a CC to send a friend or family member money via PayPal, Venmo, etc. The money you've sent them is then deposited in their account, which they withdraw and give back to you, which you then deposit in your own account to pay off the CC. It's zero sum, except for the transaction fee. Another method was purchasing a bunch of those Visa or AmEx gift cards, which could then be used to withdraw cash from an ATM for the value of the card. You would then deposit the cash and use that to pay off the CC purchase. This was again zero sum, except for the purchase fees. One of the more infamous methods was when the US Mint was trying to circulate the new $1 coins, you could order them online, with a CC, and shipping was even free. So people ordered these coins by the thousands for CC points/rewards and then would immediately go deposit them at the bank to pay off the purchase. I believe the US Mint finally responded by severely limiting the amount one could purchase at a given time.

However, the CC companies have caught on and many Manufactured Spend techniques have been shut down or severely restricted. AmEx no longer allows gift card purchases of reloadable prepaid cards or AmEx gift cards or peer to peer payments to count towards annual spend requirements or towards a minimum spend for a bonus.

That said, as I've posted a few times throughout the thread, being able to do this for one quarter of a million dollars, even as MS, isn't easy for many people. That's nearly $21K a month, or about $4800 a week in spend - even manufactured spend - one must do. That's a lot of credit to tie up for a lot of people.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Correct. I know that. Thus my question about it's 'easy'. There must be some heavy secrecy stuff that is easy to push 250,000 dollars worth of spend and end up with CASH equivalent back into a bank account.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Correct. I know that. Thus my question about it's 'easy'. There must be some heavy secrecy stuff that is easy to push 250,000 dollars worth of spend and end up with CASH equivalent back into a bank account.
Please don't attend: 9th Annual Chicago Seminars - October 19 - 21, 2018

...and find out. ...and don't tell others! ;-)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I've added a poll to the top of the post. In the future, if you ever want a poll added, just alert a moderator

I even cast my vote, I qualify based on MQD.

Ryandc99, Moderator Delta Air Lines
The poll isn't really complete...this thread is really about those DMS that relied on the $25 K waiver in the past. I have been a DM since it's charter year, but often relied on the Amex spend waiver as I regularly utilize pay with miles. No more DM for me starting next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.