Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any Austin (AUS)-based former AA EP switch to Delta?

Any Austin (AUS)-based former AA EP switch to Delta?

Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:47 pm
hts
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
You guys are probably right. Despite my misgivings, I probably do need to stick with AA, especially since my territory was just switched from TOLA/Southeast to Texas/Southwest (lots of CA, AZ and of course DFW/IAH in my future). Not sure DL would do me much good given where I'll be flying the next 12 months, despite the fact that I do think DL is probably a far superior product to AA.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hts
You guys are probably right. Despite my misgivings, I probably do need to stick with AA, especially since my territory was just switched from TOLA/Southeast to Texas/Southwest (lots of CA, AZ and of course DFW/IAH in my future). Not sure DL would do me much good given where I'll be flying the next 12 months, despite the fact that I do think DL is probably a far superior product to AA.
Did anyone else mistake those two states for a Chinese and Italian carrier? Fun with abbreviations...
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now

What nonsense. Although we do say we live in THE ATX. To be clear, we do not refer to the airport as ATX.
Most locals in Austin refer to the airport as ABIA.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now

What nonsense. Although we do say we live in THE ATX. To be clear, we do not refer to the airport as ATX.
THE ATX is even dumber than ATX. I guess that's Austin just trying to stay weird?

Side note -- It also drives me crazy when people refer to Denver as DIA.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Most locals in Austin refer to the airport as ABIA.
Okay, I had to look that up. Learn something new every day - Austin–Bergstrom International Airport.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by loratliff
Yeah, I grew up in Dallas and heard ATX regularly for my 20+ years lived there.
How is it said? A-T-X? Or A-TX? Or? I ask since living in S.A. I've never in my entire life heard anyone say other than Austin.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
A-T-X. I lived there for a year and heard/saw it all the time.

Agree that the locals refer to the airport as “Bergstrom” though. Which I found odd.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
A-T-X. I lived there for a year and heard/saw it all the time.

Agree that the locals refer to the airport as “Bergstrom” though. Which I found odd.
It was Bergstrom AFB long before it was a commercial airport.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I think you could probably make the switch and be happy, just keep in mind that the new focus city won't ramp up overnight. It may be better to stick it out with AA, then switch to DL when they have more available flights. DL might offer a status match opportunity for Austin residents, like they did in Seattle.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
If you're traveling within Texas I would go with AA or UA without hesitation, DL is going to be a major hassle and probably only offer exorbitant fares on routes like AUS-ATL-IAH. I would also consider WN if you would value a companion pass. Lots of flights in and around Texas and you'll be able to use DAL instead of DFW. Only negative being of course the on board product and lack of international partners.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:40 pm
hts
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
I wouldn't consider Southwest simply because of their limited routes for award redemption (yes, they're finally picking up Hawaii this fall, but as I previously indicated, most, in fact almost all, of my mile redemption is to Europe or Central America, and sometimes Hawaii). Southwest just doesn't work for me unfortunately. I think I'm just going to stick with AA for now, despite my misgivings.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by WWads
I think you could probably make the switch and be happy, just keep in mind that the new focus city won't ramp up overnight. It may be better to stick it out with AA, then switch to DL when they have more available flights. DL might offer a status match opportunity for Austin residents, like they did in Seattle.
OP, WWads makes some excellent points regarding focus city status. I'm not based in Texas, but DL considers BOS as something between a hub and a focus city and while I certainly find the premium cabin soft service to be generally better than AA's, unfortunately, even as a focus city for DL, I find most of my flying to be on AA metal. Even with a pretty extensive network (both domestic and international), I can't justify connections to ORD and DCA which DL would require. As such, even with DL n/s service to cities I do fly to often (LGA) and less frequently (LAX), I still find myself booking with AA. I should add that I'm at about 75% domestic travel to 25% international.

Long story short, it really depends on your most frequently traveled locations and your tolerance for connections.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Hell I switched to DL from AA and I am in Dallas. The far superior product definitely outweighs any misgivings. I just switched last fall so getting close to Diamond this year so I'll better be able to compare soon but I am not ever looking back. I'm pretty sure AUS has more routes too and it'll only go up from here with the rumors of it being a "focus city"
hts likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.