Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any Austin (AUS)-based former AA EP switch to Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Austin (AUS)-based former AA EP switch to Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:01 pm
hts
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
The fact that you guys aren't familiar with ATX doesn't mean jack. Not everyone is an aviation nerd that only refers to cities by their airport codes. And no, I'm not a 52 year old hipster. We call it ATX. We live here. We can call it whatever we want. We don't need your approval. It just doesn't matter. Oh, and when I lived in the Bay Area, I didn't call it SFO. I called it San Fran. I'll bet you probably hate that too, lol.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:29 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
ATX is 100% standard, I've only been to Austin like 4 times but literally nobody who lives there would blink any eye at it.
indufan, jinglish and hi55us like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by hts
Don't Delta's highest tier elites get a comp annual pass to their lounges? I believe it's just for the individual, so it may have less value than my Admirals Club membership that allows me to bring in guests, co-workers, family, etc.
Yes, there are a couple of ways to get free annual SkyClub access -- Achieve Diamond Medallion status or get the Delta Amex Reserve credit card. With the AX RSV card you don't need to have any status, and you also get free checked bags, SkyPesos, Priority Boarding, and get additional MQMs and MQD waivers for accelerated status. Additionally, you get one domestic first class companion ticket per year, which will easily offsets the $450 annual fee.

Even if you make Diamond, while the baggage, SkyClub and boarding perks become less relevant, you still get the waivers, MQMs, SMs and companion ticket. Lastly, Diamond + RSV card allows you to choose free guest SkyClub access as one of your three "Choice Benefits."
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by hts
Don't Delta's highest tier elites get a comp annual pass to their lounges? I believe it's just for the individual, so it may have less value than my Admirals Club membership that allows me to bring in guests, co-workers, family, etc.
It's a benefit you can choose. But if you choose that you lose out on other things, like nominating someone to Gold. The benefits are probably way better than AA, because whereas AA only gets you 4 SWUs, Delta potentially gives you just as many upgrades and two more additional benefits (one of which can be Sky Club membership).
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Interesting. I have been to Austin a lot and never heard anyone ever refer to it as ATX. Is that encouraged by some quasi official body?
Lived in area all my life except college. Never heard anyone refer to it that way. I've seen a logo or two use it, but never seen/heard it used in direct conversation.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
I can’t believe how many people are shocked at ATX. Since I moved to Austin I have seen and heard it as ATX countless times and really only see AUS on flyertalk and my boarding pass.

Also to the OP- I think you will like DL.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Faheym88
I can’t believe how many people are shocked at ATX. Since I moved to Austin I have seen and heard it as ATX countless times and really only see AUS on flyertalk and my boarding pass.

Also to the OP- I think you will like DL.
I've never once anywhere heard someone say ATX. Like July with no shortened name, most just write Austin. Few times too lazy to write Austin, it's Aus. ATX to most is a electronics company. In fact Wiki directs you to page on the company when enter ATX.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:13 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Nobody says ATX.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:03 am

Agreed that ATX is much more written than said, but it's definitely a thing. I've even started to see people from Houston write HTX and San Antonio SATX- keep me straight on this one flyerCO.

I will tell OP though, I do occasionally wish I flew AA when traveling throughout the SWish region- generously speaking MS, LA, AR, OK, KS, NE, CO, NM, AZ, and of course, intra-TX. Trying to get to destinations in most all of these states requires significant backtracking or out of the way routing from ATL, MSP, or SLC. E.g. MSY, LIT, OKC, MCI, OMA, DEN, ABQ, PHX, inter alia.

That's why for many of these states DL simply doesn't even offer a routing from AUS, so I take WN as my #2 . It just helps that DFW is so close that very little can be considered true backtracking/out of the way. Same could be said for IAH and UA.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Since we know OP is referring to Austin, TX, can we get back to the topic of AA versus DL for Austin-based flyers rather than debating how locals refer to their city?
traconbeac, pvn, jinglish and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've seen ATX and SATX on logos/menus/etc. Never seen it used in written form unless it's being used an internal company code for the city. HTX I've never seen.

AA is my backup airline. Only use them when DL makes no sense due to routing or $. I will say I'm considering switching from AA to UA. As another user posted UA seems to be trying to get better. AA OTOH seems to be going towards an ULCC model for both onboard service and customer service. Also OW partners seem to be heading down hill. CX F in the past was one of the best. Now other then the HKG FIRST PIER lounge it's just not worth the price. BA is of course a laugh. Although I do fly them sometimes when time constrained due to having AUS/LHR nonstop. Love AY, but they fly very little long haul.

To answer OP, DL IMO is a good airline and has great partners. AF has it's strike issues, but service is great. Love KLM. Now that AZ flies to JNB I've started using them frequently as I enjoy their J product. GA is one of best airlines out. SU has great onboard service, only negative is connecting in SVO. MU is also decent, their main problem being PVG airport. AM great service, though meals in J on long haul lack substance. KE has great service, but keeps the cabin way to friggin hot. Love both VS and VA. Only Skyteam partner I haven't flown is OK (CZECH).
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Since we know OP is referring to Austin, TX, can we get back to the topic of AA versus DL for Austin-based flyers rather than debating how locals refer to their city?
OP should provide more details on a sampling of their travel patterns. If any more than 1/3rd of general travel is in that group of states/cities I mentioned, they'd honestly be better off sticking with AA, IMHO.

If international and further afield continental US is the case, however, DL will have a strong shout in about a year. Brand new SC with local food and deck, brand new terminal area, brand new gate space and jetways. DL also primarily flies the refurb'd A320 family ex-AUS, so fresh seats, interiors, IFEs, 2Ku, and big bins. On rare occasions going west I'll get a 738. A few years ago MD-88s were more common going to ATL but haven't seen that in a while.

Edit: oh yeah, also that whole focus city and more destinations business.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by hts
The fact that you guys aren't familiar with ATX doesn't mean jack. Not everyone is an aviation nerd that only refers to cities by their airport codes. And no, I'm not a 52 year old hipster. We call it ATX. We live here. We can call it whatever we want. We don't need your approval. It just doesn't matter. Oh, and when I lived in the Bay Area, I didn't call it SFO. I called it San Fran. I'll bet you probably hate that too, lol.
Yea, cause no local calls it San Fran. Nor SFO. You can say SF or San Francisco or The City.
And you probably didn't live in SF, cause if you lived in SF you would say you lived in SF, not the Bay Area.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
ATX is 100% standard, I've only been to Austin like 4 times but literally nobody who lives there would blink any eye at it.
Yeah, I grew up in Dallas and heard ATX regularly for my 20+ years lived there.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
Nobody says ATX.
What nonsense. Although we do say we live in THE ATX. To be clear, we do not refer to the airport as ATX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.