Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any Austin (AUS)-based former AA EP switch to Delta?

Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:33 pm
hts
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat

I live in Austin and I'm AA EP (and formerly USAir Chairmans when we lived in Phx and before that UA 1K when we lived in Nova).

In any event, I'm not a huge fan of AA, but really don't see a better alternative worth switching to. I'm not sure if I'ever flown Delta before.

And then I read the recent article about Delta reconfiguring its 777 fleet and thought--now there's an airline that appears to put its clients before its bottom line--how refreshing.

So I'm just wondering if any current Austin-based former AA EP's who have made the transition to Delta (I assume I could qualify for a status match) could share their experiences with me, especially with Delta opening up a club in ATX next spring (that alone would save me $450 as I can no longer expense club fees). Is the in-flight experience any different than AA's? How about mileage redemptions?

100% of my business travel is domestic (so living in ATX now I get there on segments, not miles unfortunately) and 100% of my mileage redemptions are international (usually Europe). I'm such a lowly EP that I probably only get upgraded to FC approx. 50% of the time (I'm often #15-#20 on the upgrade standby list), so the service in coach service is equally, if not more, important to me than FC since that's where I spend at least 1/2 my time these days.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hts
I live in Austin and I'm AA EP (and formerly USAir Chairmans when we lived in Phx and before that UA 1K when we lived in Nova).

In any event, I'm not a huge fan of AA, but really don't see a better alternative worth switching to. I'm not sure if I'ever flown Delta before.

And then I read the recent article about Delta reconfiguring its 777 fleet and thought--now there's an airline that appears to put its clients before its bottom line--how refreshing.

So I'm just wondering if any current Austin-based former AA EP's who have made the transition to Delta (I assume I could qualify for a status match) could share their experiences with me, especially with Delta opening up a club in ATX next spring (that alone would save me $450 as I can no longer expense club fees). Is the in-flight experience any different than AA's? How about mileage redemptions?

100% of my business travel is domestic (so living in ATX now I get there on segments, not miles unfortunately) and 100% of my mileage redemptions are international (usually Europe). I'm such a lowly EP that I probably only get upgraded to FC approx. 50% of the time (I'm often #15-#20 on the upgrade standby list), so the service in coach service is equally, if not more, important to me than FC since that's where I spend at least 1/2 my time these days.
What is ATX? Do you mean AUS?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:45 pm
hts
Original Poster

Yes, AUS is the airport code. Locals tend to refer to it as ATX (the city, not the airport code) -- sorry.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What is ATX? Do you mean AUS?
Uhm, yeah. Read the post you quoted a bit more carefully.

I'm also an ATX-based flyer and also am curious. Been flying AA exclusively but now trying UA since I am tired of renting a car (work in LNK but been flying to OMA).

Last edited by elperro; Jul 9, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hts
How about mileage redemptions?
Delta has been using married segment availability on awards since November 2014. You might be frustrated getting from AUS to an international gateway. (Unless you were just thinking Aeromexico!) Delta does have 20+ carriers available for booking online in contrast with AA's eight, so in that regard award bookings are easier.

Not speaking to the specifics of your destinations, Delta will get you more AVOD, more 2Ku satellite wifi, fewer CR2/E145 single-class planes. You'll find better on-time performance, fewer cancellations, and quicker and more reliable baggage handling.

I would look at the networks very carefully for one's own flying patterns. Delta has 8x to ATL tomorrow while AA has 11x to DFW; if you're headed west Delta can't match AA.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta has been using married segment availability on awards since November 2014. You might be frustrated getting from AUS to an international gateway. (Unless you were just thinking Aeromexico!) Delta does have 20+ carriers available for booking online in contrast with AA's eight, so in that regard award bookings are easier.

Not speaking to the specifics of your destinations, Delta will get you more AVOD, more 2Ku satellite wifi, fewer CR2/E145 single-class planes. You'll find better on-time performance, fewer cancellations, and quicker and more reliable baggage handling.

I would look at the networks very carefully for one's own flying patterns. Delta has 8x to ATL tomorrow while AA has 11x to DFW; if you're headed west Delta can't match AA.
DL offers x3 to LAX, x1 to SEA, and x3 to SLC
AA offers x4 to LAX and x4 to PHX
UA offers x5 to DEN, x5 to SFO, x2 to LAX

I know one can back track some to DFW or IAH and have many more options, but just looking a flights headed west, UA has the edge while AA/DL are even, but DL offers one more destination.

But DL is getting more gates at AUS, who knows what else will be added.

Last edited by kop84; Jul 9, 2018 at 3:48 pm Reason: added UA
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hts
Locals tend to refer to it as ATX (the city, not the airport code) -- sorry.
Interesting. I have been to Austin a lot and never heard anyone ever refer to it as ATX. Is that encouraged by some quasi official body?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
Originally Posted by kop84

I know one can back track some to DFW or IAH and have many more options, but just looking a flights headed west, UA has the edge while AA/DL are even, but DL offers one more destination.

I would include DFW in any westbound connection options on AA and possibly IAH on UA. Just MHO.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by elperro
I would include DFW in any westbound connection options on AA...
So would I. DFW isn't really backtracking when westbound.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kop84

I wouldn't call going from DFW "backtracking" when going out West, especially to Arizona and Southern California. One ends up flying way north to get to SLC only to have to fly back down South
To San Diego, DFW is way more convenient than SLC:
AUS-SLC-SAN: 1,711 miles
AUS-DFW-SAN: 1,361 miles
To San Francisco, it's a wash:
AUS-SLC-SFO: 1,684 miles
AUS-DFW-SFO: 1,654 miles (
Even for Pacific Northwest destinations, DFW isn't out of the way over other hubs as to Portland it's about a wash as well:
AUS-SLC-PDX: 1,715 miles
AUS-DFW-PDX: 1,806 miles
The minimal difference there means one's connection times really play into the equation, plus factoring in the options available via PHX and LAX. The other factor is the "insurance" all those flights to DFW provide with a ton of back-up options which DL doesn't have at AUS, unless one really backtracks to ATL.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by indufan
Interesting. I have been to Austin a lot and never heard anyone ever refer to it as ATX. Is that encouraged by some quasi official body?
I've seen it used a lot in Tinder bios, at least.
indufan and keitherson like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
Hahaha

Originally Posted by hts
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
I think you'll like Delta. Can you elaborate a little on how DL opening a lounge will save you $450? I think you may have an expectation that is not reality (or maybe I am missing something).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I've never heard of ATX either. What is the reasoning behind it? It's not like there is another well known city named Austin to confuse it with. Sounds like people just wanting to be difficult.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:58 pm
hts
Original Poster

Don't Delta's highest tier elites get a comp annual pass to their lounges? I believe it's just for the individual, so it may have less value than my Admirals Club membership that allows me to bring in guests, co-workers, family, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.