Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why does a friend who works for Delta Air want my full SS#?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does a friend who works for Delta Air want my full SS#?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
So my question is; why does Delta need an individual’s social security number? Buddypasses are paid in advance of travel. I can understand giving it in an application for employment, although i’ve never heard of Delta not hiring someone with a BK for a gate agents job.

Seems to be an invasion of privacy to me. Delta literally had an IT meltdown, what, two years ago? If they can’t get SNAPP right with their outsourced IT, how would I trust them with my social security number?

All it takes is one breach, and Delta has a class-action lawsuit to deal with.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by sleuth
So my question is; why does Delta need an individual’s social security number?

Seems to be an invasion of privacy to me.
They probably have decided to use it because it's a unique identifier that basically everyone has. Unfortunately, an SSN has taken on that unintended role.

How is it an invasion of privacy? Delta is saying - if you want free flights, give us your ssn. If you don't want free flights you can decline to provide your ssn.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:12 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
[Seems to be an invasion of privacy to me. Delta literally had an IT meltdown, what, two years ago? If they can’t get SNAPP right with their outsourced IT, how would I trust them with my social security number?
Then don't. They're not forcing anyone to give them a SSN.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:30 am

The OP is not getting a Buddy Pass. The OP is being asked if she wants to be a travel companion.Travel companions can travel whenever they want at a very reduced rate. So the OP has to decide to give DL more information to get this spouse-like benefit or not.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So my question is; why does Delta need an individual’s social security number? Buddypasses are paid in advance of travel. I can understand giving it in an application for employment, although i’ve never heard of Delta not hiring someone with a BK for a gate agents job.

Seems to be an invasion of privacy to me. Delta literally had an IT meltdown, what, two years ago? If they can’t get SNAPP right with their outsourced IT, how would I trust them with my social security number?

All it takes is one breach, and Delta has a class-action lawsuit to deal with.
How so? OP has no relationship with DL and is not subject to any contract, terms or privacy policy. Simply making a personal choice to provide data to a "friend" in order to receive a benefit not available to consumers.

The issue from the DL perspective is not that it won't get paid. Of course it will. The issue is whether the benefit is being abused
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:04 am

Can we just notice that the OP’s name is “flyawayfriend”, has only ever posted twice (and only on this thread), and as soon as people pointed out that the situation smells fishy is mysteriously absent?
CaptainMiles likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
SSN is most likely required for imputed income. Flight benefits are regulated by the IRS, since they are a benefit alongside health care, 401k, etc.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by jamiestr
SSN is most likely required for imputed income. Flight benefits are regulated by the IRS, since they are a benefit alongside health care, 401k, etc.
If it is income, wouldn't it be income to the employee, not to the friend? If it's to the friend, it would qualify as a gift, no?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
If it is income, wouldn't it be income to the employee, not to the friend? If it's to the friend, it would qualify as a gift, no?
However instead of adding to employee W2, can send 1099 to the companion.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The buddy or companion (or any form of employee-related perk) would not generally be taxable income to OP, but it is a gift and depending on the volume of travel, could become a taxable gift by the "friend" to OP. DL bears the risk of poor accounting here and thus it is entirely reasonable for DL to track the value to OP and anybody else.

OP's easy alternative here is to complete a W-9, which exists for just this purpose, and send it to the friend. If concerned about loss in the mail, either hand deliver it or use Registered mail (not certified).
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
They probably have decided to use it because it's a unique identifier that basically everyone has. Unfortunately, an SSN has taken on that unintended role.
Everyone has? Delta is a global company. Surely many global employees don't have SSN themselves, and surely their companions don't either. It's even quite possible that a US-based employee would have a genuine non-US companion (foreign boyfriend/girlfriend). So surely there is a way to enter a companion without providing a SSN. Someone upthread mentioned passport, that has to be possible.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Everyone has? Delta is a global company. Surely many global employees don't have SSN themselves, and surely their companions don't either. It's even quite possible that a US-based employee would have a genuine non-US companion (foreign boyfriend/girlfriend). So surely there is a way to enter a companion without providing a SSN. Someone upthread mentioned passport, that has to be possible.
No one said an employee in another country would need an SSN. Do you not think DL has systems that comply with personal legalities in every country they operate? Instead they night need the local equivalent or none at all.
jetsfan92588 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One of my best friends is a registered travel companion of an F9 FA who doesn't have a boyfriend. He provided her his SSN without blinking an eye. It's a really nice perk for him.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However instead of adding to employee W2, can send 1099 to the companion.
Unless there's something peculiar to airlines and discounts (which there very well could be), the discount would generally be included in the employee's income (if it's taxable at all). As far as I know, there's no provision allowing an employer to designate the taxable income as income to the friend of an employee. The ability to provide a companion/buddy pass is a benefit of employment and thus taxable to the employee (assuming taxable generally).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Doctors need/want your SSN for two or three reasons. 1)billing, most insurance companies use SSN as a verification that the right insured is being pulled up, 2)in some states it's required for various issues under the law, and 3)it's needed in order to put a mark on your credit report for failing to pay.
Some younger folks here may be surprised to learn that the SSA is only now just getting around to removing SS#'s from Medicare cards. Yup, that's right. Americans over 65 are all walking around with their SS# in their wallets and these cards need to be handed over, not actually to doctors (when was the last time your doctor handled your insurance card?) but to someone who may well be a temp filling in at the front desk. Not to mention the kid at the prescription counter at the drug store. And then your SS# is in their hackable system forever. I qualify in early 2019 and I'm hoping the government meets their 2019 deadline to fix the stupidity. As a side note on paranoia, I have a friend who will not apply for CLEAR even though they can get it for free because they don't want their fingerprints in a third-party's system. Yet they have Global Entry. Because, you know, government servers are so secure, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.