Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why does a friend who works for Delta Air want my full SS#?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does a friend who works for Delta Air want my full SS#?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by flyerCO
ebay/PayPal are subject to financial regulations that require they obtain a SSN. If you're using a TIN for a personal account you can get in trouble with the law. Not saying they're going to catch it, but what ebay/PayPal are asking for is required by law. A TIN isn't a substitute SSN.

Doctors need/want your SSN for two or three reasons. 1)billing, most insurance companies use SSN as a verification that the right insured is being pulled up, 2)in some states it's required for various issues under the law, and 3)it's needed in order to put a mark on your credit report for failing to pay.

I'm curious if DL must report the amount of free travel given to the IRS. For the employee this would be simple to do via their W2. However for anyone else it would require them obtaining a SSN to file a 1099 on.
I have a business account on eBay/Paypal not a personal one, hence why I got a TIN instead of giving my SSN. When I signed up for my account Paypal was in some grey area about banking regulations (at least they used to be years and years ago when i setup my account)

Doctors can ASK you for your SSN but you are in no way required to give it to them. They only want it to make going after you for billing easier as you stated
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Maybe because I'm not American I'm missing some fine point, but is your SSN not on dozens of documents that go out by mail all the time? For example, I recently set up online billing for our place in Florida. The SSN was a required field. I couldn't fill that out and had to find a workaround with the call centre. My does the electricity company need a SSN? I'll bet that if I stole one letter at random from every mailbox on a particular street, I'd have a number of SSNs at my disposal.
You are not required to for power companies, gas companies, mobile phones, etc to give a SSN. If you do they "waive" the deposit you would normally have to put down.

I know I was offered an option of putting X deposit down in an account or giving my SSN for various utilities throughout my life.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
You are not required to for power companies, gas companies, mobile phones, etc to give a SSN. If you do they "waive" the deposit you would normally have to put down.

I know I was offered an option of putting X deposit down in an account or giving my SSN for various utilities throughout my life.
Some will flat out refuse to give service without one. Just like renting an apartment. Nothing says you must give it. However most will refuse to rent unless you give it, as without they can't run a credit/tenancy background check.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Some will flat out refuse to give service without one. Just like renting an apartment. Nothing says you must give it. However most will refuse to rent unless you give it, as without they can't run a credit/tenancy background check.
agreed and I am not opposed to giving out my SSN to legitimate sources (like renting apartments etc)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by flyawayfriend
A friend of mine, who lives in another state, told me that she just got a job at the front desk at Delta. After I gave her my full name, middle name included, my address, and my email, she then asks me for my FULL SS# so that she can fill out the travel companion form.

Do Delta employees regularly fill out the travel companion form for their designated candidates while asking for their full names and full Social Security numbers??!
Is this part of their protocol?

It seems very fishy to me, obviously.
Identity theft....beware.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:47 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yes, I'm sure this person became OP's friend and got a job at delta just to steal one particular person's identity. Makes total sense.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
Yes, I'm sure this person became OP's friend and got a job at delta just to steal one particular person's identity. Makes total sense.
Who says the "friend" even works for DL.? What's to stop them from using it for identity theft even if they do indeed work with DL? It's not like DL employees never do anything illegal, such as allow guns onto planes.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:51 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's certainly possible this person's friend is the world's dumbest criminal but generally when you steal someone's identity you don't want the person to know who you are or have such an obvious event to tie you to the theft. It would be easier (and much, much less risky) to go buy some random person's SSN off the dark web.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
As long as it isn't "Peggy" from USA Prime Credit, you should be aight.

Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
what

Nobody "intercepts" individual emails. If your account or the account of the person you're communicating with is compromised, then all of the emails going through that address are going to exposed.
Yep. And, I actually had that happen to me.

My main email account was compromised. Thankfully the hacker was a little stupid. I noticed that I was not getting the regular volume of email. In fact, I went 3 days without getting any. So, i called my cable provider. I was told they were having some issues with their email servers.

I decided to login via webmail rather than using my email client. I got to digging around in my settings and found that someone had set it up to forward all my mail to a gmail account. Fortunately, it had been set up to not leave a copy of the message on the server. That was why I wasn't getting any email. If they had not taken that step, I probably would be none the wiser.

I'm still not sure how my account was compromised. I have a very strong password, I never click random links, etc. I think, it was actually related to my FB Messenger Account getting hacked the day before my email stopped arriving. What a nightmare it was to get all of it cleared up.

As to the OP, I would just ask your friend why the SS# is needed.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by CalVol
I'm still not sure how my account was compromised. I have a very strong password, I never click random links, etc. I think, it was actually related to my FB Messenger Account getting hacked the day before my email stopped arriving. What a nightmare it was to get all of it cleared up.
Do you use that same password (and email) combination on another site(s)? That's how most accounts get compromised. They hack site X (who used crappy or no security on their end) decrypt or find passwords in plain text and then go try the same email or username/password combos on hundreds of other websites.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Certain DL NonRevs keep abusing the privileges and so now you’re left with this system which doesn’t even work with internal systems.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP really needs to explain the specific concern here. Is it the "friend"? If is it giving it to DL? Is it having the phone bugged, email hacked? Or other?

Bottom line is that if this is a big hassle, just decline the kind offer and move on.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Certain DL NonRevs keep abusing the privileges and so now you’re left with this system which doesn’t even work with internal systems.
Companions have always had to provide SSNs when registering. The latest change is with buddies, and should be fully implemented soon. Worked fine for me the first weekend it was rolled out...adding a buddy is now no different than registering a companion.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Do you use that same password (and email) combination on another site(s)? That's how most accounts get compromised. They hack site X (who used crappy or no security on their end) decrypt or find passwords in plain text and then go try the same email or username/password combos on hundreds of other websites.
Nope. Different passwords for everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.