Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why does a friend who works for Delta Air want my full SS#?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

A friend of mine, who lives in another state, told me that she just got a job at the front desk at Delta. After I gave her my full name, middle name included, my address, and my email, she then asks me for my FULL SS# so that she can fill out the travel companion form.

Do Delta employees regularly fill out the travel companion form for their designated candidates while asking for their full names and full Social Security numbers??!
Is this part of their protocol?

It seems very fishy to me, obviously.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:16 pm

Yes, it’s needed to initially enroll someone as a travel companion.

Edit: Ask if you can provide a passport number or other government ID card number instead. That may be sufficient.

Last edited by Widgets; Jul 7, 2018 at 10:25 pm
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets
Yes, it’s needed to initially enroll someone as a travel companion.
Thanks. Is there another way of sending this sensitive info without giving it to her over the phone/email/text, such as a form that can be sent in the mail or something?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If she is really your friend, ask her

If you want fully encrypted communication. WhatsApp is best. If you really want to be safe, certified mail should work (you can even write it in invisible ink )
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyawayfriend
Thanks. Is there another way of sending this sensitive info without giving it to her over the phone/email/text, such as a form that can be sent in the mail or something?
No the friend is the one that must manage their list. The friend works for DL and thus would be able to see it anyway.

Is this really a friend, or is this a "friend" who happens to be offering to make you their friend for $? Sorry, but seems weird not wanting to hand out SSN to friend, who'd be able too see it in system anyway.
wxman22, sky303, cruisr and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:17 am

I appreciate not wanting to email the number. But, over the phone?!

BTW, when I am forced to email a sensitive number I do it in multiple emails. So, I’d send me social security

Email #1
123- xxx- xxxx

Email#2

xxx-456-xxxx

Email #3

xxx-xxx-7890

the odds of all 3 being intercepted are very thin.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:41 am

Or email the numbers backwards in 3 separate emails and tell them this over the phone.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is this really a friend, or is this a "friend" who happens to be offering to make you their friend for $? Sorry, but seems weird not wanting to hand out SSN to friend, who'd be able too see it in system anyway.
+1

The only people in my own pass rider list are those I wouldn’t have a problem sharing this information with, and who were comfortable sharing it with me. Of course, everyone feels differently about sharing it ... just a data point :-)

Not implying anything sinister but just a friendly reminder that this privilege is allowed for leisure purposes only, and cannot be bought, sold, traded or bartered under any circumstance; penalties for abuse apply. But surely your travel sponsor already knows this.
Safe travels!
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
WhatsApp is not secure unless you do a lot of configuration and option changes. If you think I'm wrong, ask Paul Manafort.

As was implied in earlier posts, this doesn't sound like a long term trusting relationship.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:11 am

None of your info is confidential if someone wants it. Just make it difficult. You can break up what you give someone into separate emails and leave out a number or write it backwards etc as previous suggested.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by awayIgo

BTW, when I am forced to email a sensitive number I do it in multiple emails. So, I’d send me social security

Email #1
123- xxx- xxxx

Email#2

xxx-456-xxxx

Email #3

xxx-xxx-7890

Haha. Eh no, this is just as easy to crack.

To the OP: are there not dozens of agencies, companies, and institutions that have your SSN? What is the big deal about keeping it secret. You think your friend is fishy?
jinglish likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:46 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
WhatsApp is not secure unless you do a lot of configuration and option changes. If you think I'm wrong, ask Paul Manafort.
Right, you have to make sure it's set for end-to-end encryption, which isn't obvious and can be undermined by features like "chat backups" etc.

Signal is better for secure communications.

That said, I wouldn't have any qualms about giving mine over the phone (assuming I knew who I was giving it to). Unless you have a reason to suspect you (or the person you're talking to) are being specifically targeted, it's almost inconceivable someone is listening in on your phone calls.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:48 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by awayIgo

Email #1
123- xxx- xxxx

Email#2

xxx-456-xxxx

Email #3

xxx-xxx-7890

what

Nobody "intercepts" individual emails. If your account or the account of the person you're communicating with is compromised, then all of the emails going through that address are going to exposed.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by pvn
what

Nobody "intercepts" individual emails. If your account or the account of the person you're communicating with is compromised, then all of the emails going through that address are going to exposed.
There are certainly some security advantages in sending information that must be used together in different emails. In addition, lots of players "intercept" individual emails. If there's a sniffer sitting right in front of Delta's mail servers and the emails are sent with a sufficient time lag it may be difficult for that party to put the packets of the second email together with the first. It's also possible, though probably unlikely, that the packets for the second email take a different route than those for the first email, in which case a sniffer sitting at most places in the middle won't see both emails.

However, this doesn't protect against end point compromise as you reference (OP's email account or the employee's email account being compromised).

If OP is so worried about this, why is a phone call not an acceptable method. For someone to be listening in on calls on either side (assuming you call the employee's personal number), they almost certainly already have the ability to figure out your SSN.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Paranoid much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.