Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why does a friend who works for Delta Air want my full SS#?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does a friend who works for Delta Air want my full SS#?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
If you add a digit at the beginning or end of an SSN and change the hyphens it looks like a phone number. I store family SSNs in my address book that way.

MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:36 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
There are certainly some security advantages in sending information that must be used together in different emails. In addition, lots of players "intercept" individual emails. If there's a sniffer sitting right in front of Delta's mail servers and the emails are sent with a sufficient time lag it may be difficult for that party to put the packets of the second email together with the first. It's also possible, though probably unlikely, that the packets for the second email take a different route than those for the first email, in which case a sniffer sitting at most places in the middle won't see both emails.

However, this doesn't protect against end point compromise as you reference (OP's email account or the employee's email account being compromised).

If OP is so worried about this, why is a phone call not an acceptable method. For someone to be listening in on calls on either side (assuming you call the employee's personal number), they almost certainly already have the ability to figure out your SSN.
probably 99% of email hacks are done by compromising the accounts at one end or the other. It's just tons easier than setting up a sniffer. Sniffers are basically mythical attacks. But more importantly, anyone with a sniffer isn't going to have any trouble at all finding the other emails between two people once he has one that looks interesting. That's just a completely bizarre claim.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:37 am

Call your friend and tell her your number. It is unclear what your concern is.. whether it is your friend having the number, Delta having your number, or some evildoer chancing to intercept your communication of the number. I would just call and tell my friend and let her handle it. I would say it is not 100% clear about why DL needs it, though companies very often get some information about people who get benefits from the company, spouse or not.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The requirement to provide a full SSN in order to register as a travel companion makes perfect sense.

Anybody who really wanted the OP's SSN could get it within a day via a private investigator (there was an Economist article on this topic about 15 years ago).
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
AS many customer/clients would do for sensitive password or PIN details. You send part via email, part via text/SMS and part via verbal conversation = unless a monitoring, MalWare and camera exist at the destination hard to capture all three.. In the end - it really doesn't matter at all how preventative your methods at confidentially if the other person writes down your name, SS#, other information on a piece of paper and doesn't shred the paperwork (plus the next 5 sheets beneath it which may have an imprint) afterwards all your efforts are erased. In the end - if the individual fills out this information online via a public WIFI or uploads via non-secured connection all your efforts are erased. In the end - as Delta sent me a letter on April 11, 2018 of a security breach of their vendor [24]7.ai between Sept 26-OCt 12, 2017 (nice long delay) - so any efforts on your part are erased even if you and your friend both were diligent.

My response is not to discourage you or restrict your efforts, just recognize if you provide the details you should also have a credit freeze among all three credit bureau, and verify you require a pin when filling out your federal tax return. Just hope you are not a victim as you benefit from travel companion benefits.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by pvn
probably 99% of email hacks are done by compromising the accounts at one end or the other. It's just tons easier than setting up a sniffer. Sniffers are basically mythical attacks. But more importantly, anyone with a sniffer isn't going to have any trouble at all finding the other emails between two people once he has one that looks interesting. That's just a completely bizarre claim.
We'll have to agree to disagree, but I think we can both agree that solely sending the info in separate emails isn't an effective security measure when used in isolation.

I think we can also agree that, while one probably shouldn't openly publish their ssn to the world, there are much easier ways for someone to find your ssn than by infiltrating your emails or breaking into an MNC's databases.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, the bigger concern would be doing nonrev travel as the "guest" of someone when you don't trust each other with social security numbers.
CarmenOM, Often1, gooselee and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, the bigger concern would be doing nonrev travel as the "guest" of someone when you don't trust each other with social security numbers.
I don't think that's a valid point at all. The OP isn't just giving the SSN to the employee in a vacuum. That SSN is going into a Delta IT system; the OP might not distrust the employee, but might very well distrust Delta to properly secure their systems.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
I don't think that's a valid point at all. The OP isn't just giving the SSN to the employee in a vacuum. That SSN is going into a Delta IT system; the OP might not distrust the employee, but might very well distrust Delta to properly secure their systems.
However the OP was willing to send it directly to DL. They just didn't want to give it to their "friend."
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
People here really have a "who cares about SSN flying around" type of attitude, which is surprising....

I for one do and do not give it out unless I HAVE to (work, banks, credit cards, loans, etc)

I also setup a business tax id under my SSN years ago for things like eBay/paypal when they mandated you give them your SSN and I in no way trust them.

I equate DL asking for it for a companion pass to doctors offices asking for it. Neither need the SSN to do the job, and they should allow alternatives (drivers license number, passport number, etc.) Most people know not to give their doctors your SSN, why would you give it to a company you have no affiliation with?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe because I'm not American I'm missing some fine point, but is your SSN not on dozens of documents that go out by mail all the time? For example, I recently set up online billing for our place in Florida. The SSN was a required field. I couldn't fill that out and had to find a workaround with the call centre. My does the electricity company need a SSN? I'll bet that if I stole one letter at random from every mailbox on a particular street, I'd have a number of SSNs at my disposal.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
People here really have a "who cares about SSN flying around" type of attitude, which is surprising....

I for one do and do not give it out unless I HAVE to (work, banks, credit cards, loans, etc)

I also setup a business tax id under my SSN years ago for things like eBay/paypal when they mandated you give them your SSN and I in no way trust them.

I equate DL asking for it for a companion pass to doctors offices asking for it. Neither need the SSN to do the job, and they should allow alternatives (drivers license number, passport number, etc.) Most people know not to give their doctors your SSN, why would you give it to a company you have no affiliation with?
ebay/PayPal are subject to financial regulations that require they obtain a SSN. If you're using a TIN for a personal account you can get in trouble with the law. Not saying they're going to catch it, but what ebay/PayPal are asking for is required by law. A TIN isn't a substitute SSN.

Doctors need/want your SSN for two or three reasons. 1)billing, most insurance companies use SSN as a verification that the right insured is being pulled up, 2)in some states it's required for various issues under the law, and 3)it's needed in order to put a mark on your credit report for failing to pay.

I'm curious if DL must report the amount of free travel given to the IRS. For the employee this would be simple to do via their W2. However for anyone else it would require them obtaining a SSN to file a 1099 on.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Maybe because I'm not American I'm missing some fine point, but is your SSN not on dozens of documents that go out by mail all the time? For example, I recently set up online billing for our place in Florida. The SSN was a required field. I couldn't fill that out and had to find a workaround with the call centre. My does the electricity company need a SSN? I'll bet that if I stole one letter at random from every mailbox on a particular street, I'd have a number of SSNs at my disposal.
You generally have to give it out since it's used for credit reporting purposes. Can be to decide if you're worth doing business with (will you pay your bill) and/or to report out failure to pay your bill.

It however isn't generally printed on documents that are mailed. If it is, generally only the last 4 numbers are printed. SSN is one thing needed to open a bank account or get credit/loan. Thus while have to give it out, it's normally treated with some extra security.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
I don't think that's their attitude, it's just that SSNs aren't nuclear launch codes. You shouldn't give them out when you aren't required to, but you also shouldn't treat them like they are this super secret identifier. I can get someone's SSN with a quick search (and sometimes some filtering) if I have basic information about the person. But it's never taken me more than 30 minutes. And no, I don't work for a government agency and am not a private investigator (but do have access to some of their tools).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:03 pm

AFAIK, you can use another type of ID instead of an SSN. A passport or driver license number should suffice for pass travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.