FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Connecting through IND? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1918746-connecting-through-ind.html)

talktoomuch Jul 7, 2018 7:17 pm

Connecting through IND?

I have a trip from CDG-RDU on September 6th, and the quickest and cheapest routing appears to be through IND.

To be honest, I didn't know IND had a flight to CDG, let alone that Delta routed passengers through there.

So 2 questions:
1. Does anyone have any experience connecting through IND?
2. Should I opt for another routing through a hub?

jmertic Jul 7, 2018 7:28 pm

I did a few years ago on a domestic trip - dead simple connection, smaller airport like RDU. No idea on CBP process there.

3Cforme Jul 7, 2018 7:49 pm

If you miss that 5:40PM flight to RDU you'll have nothing more from IND. Small airports have fewer hassles but they also present fewer connection options.

MSPeconomist Jul 7, 2018 8:51 pm

It's a nice airport, but when I checked, connecting through IND to CDG made the ticket significantly *more* expensive.

AANYC1981 Jul 7, 2018 9:18 pm

I once did LAX-IND-LGA and it was super easy.

xliioper Jul 7, 2018 9:24 pm

Haven't been through customs/immigration at IND, but as a newer airport, it should be fine. If you miss the 5:40 PM non-stop to RDU, there are some later connecting options through MSP, ATL, and DTW. The bad news is that the IND-RDU flight is a CRJ-200, so no first class, limited bin space, cramped seats, low windows, etc.

International fares use max permitted mileage for routing rather than specific cities. The MPM for DL RDU-CDG fares is 4857 miles. RDU-IND-CDG is 4679 miles, so it is valid. You just have to have bucket inventory in the flights to book whatever fare class you are looking at. ATL, DTW, BOS, JFK, and EWR are also valid connecting options (MSP, however, is not -- 5202 miles).

Domestic routing rules specify actual cities. Even though IND has non-stop flights to SEA and LAX, DL does not permit routings from RDU to those cities through IND on RDU-SEA/LAX fares. Here's the routing rules for RDU-SEA fares for example (other than some cheap X fares which require non-stop routing) --

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. RDU-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/MSP/NYC/RDU/SEA/SLC-SEA

CPMaverick Jul 7, 2018 11:58 pm

It's one of the newest airports in the country (2009 I think), very very easy to connect in, and has a nice (but very small) SkyClub. The SC might get busy before the CDG flight though.

The only downside like MSP said is that if there is a cancellation, you are stuck in a place with no other options direct to CDG. But, if things are looking dicey before you leave, I'm sure you could find another option from RDU.

I'd connect in IND any time I could.

Duke787 Jul 8, 2018 12:10 am

Well the quickest should be the CDG - RDU direct but I see it's not operating that day.

Strange -- wonder why not? It's not as if they are downgauging equipment and need to reposition a plane to make the 763 ---> 752 swap (it's 763 the day before and after) and Thursday is a busy travel day back from Europe so it's not a logical day to skip (vs. midweek or weekend).

Absent it coming back, IND looks like a good option or else I would take the 10:15am through DTW. Only 30 extra minutes of travel time and an A330/717 combination vs 763/CR2

CGNC Jul 8, 2018 12:30 am

Yes, connecting in IND is easy. Its my home airport and I've taken DL501 twice in the past month or so. CBP area is small, there are two Global Entry kiosks and once you clear customs, you just go through TSA again as you would be entering the terminal to board a domestic flight. Breeze of an airport and as others have pointed out, a newer facility, too.

Your trip on DL501, assuming it is before next May, would also net Delta $75 (I think) as they're incentivized to fill seats on this new flight (started May 24) so it could also explain why it comes up as a top option.

ne52 Jul 8, 2018 11:42 am

Easy connection and a pretty nice airport

MIDWESTERNFLYER Jul 8, 2018 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by CGNC (Post 29949522)
Yes, connecting in IND is easy. Its my home airport and I've taken DL501 twice in the past month or so. CBP area is small, there are two Global Entry kiosks and once you clear customs, you just go through TSA again as you would be entering the terminal to board a domestic flight. Breeze of an airport and as others have pointed out, a newer facility, too.

Your trip on DL501, assuming it is before next May, would also net Delta $75 (I think) as they're incentivized to fill seats on this new flight (started May 24) so it could also explain why it comes up as a top option.

I agree, IND is my home airport and it should be a breeze to connect through

salsa Jul 9, 2018 6:48 am

IND has a Skylcub which adds to the convenience of connecting there.