Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Unable to SDC with Premium fare to CRJ-200 (coach)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat

I wanted to inquire if there has been a change or if my past success in doing this was because the agent wasn't following policy.

I'm on a flight from SFO to BWI via DTW. Attempted to SDC today to via JFK. In F on the original flight all the way thru. I've done this previous usually with a little prodding on my part since I'm switching to a flight with D1 as opposed to domestic F. This time it wasn't the SFO to JFK flight that was an issue but the JFK to BWI flight. The agent refused to execute the SDC since there was no F available on the flight. I responded saying that flight was operated by a CRJ-200 and that there is never a premium cabin available. Agent stood his ground and refused. So I HUCA and got a different agent. I explained what I was trying to do and she said as long as I was ok with the downgrade and that I would not receive and comp that she didn't see an issue. I said I was absolutely fine with that. After a brief hold she came back and said she could not do the SDC for the same reason the first agent stated.

I've done this before on several occasions both from SFO and LAX. I've always made sure the new flight has space, is valid routing and I'm not going from a connection to a non-stop. As I ended the call with the 2nd agent I pointed out that this makes no sense.. if this is the rule I would NEVER be able to SDC thru JFK to get to BWI if on a premium fare as that flight never has F.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by ryanfinger; Jul 7, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
I actually had the same experience recently at a JFK skyclub. They would not SDC me onto JFK-BWI and insisted I stay on JFK-DTW-BWI because the JFK-BWI didn't have an F cabin.

Then, I had an epiphany. Asked them to move me to JFK-DCA instead, which is way more inconvenient anyway. They did!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I’ve had to do the HUCA thing a couple times but that was before the “No-F-to-D1” rule came along ... the issue was that, even though I had an “A” fare, the underlying coach inventory wasn’t available on the CRJ segment so the agent had to get approval to override
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
I’ve had to do the HUCA thing a couple times but that was before the “No-F-to-D1” rule came along ... the issue was that, even though I had an “A” fare, the underlying coach inventory wasn’t available on the CRJ segment so the agent had to get approval to override
So there is a rule now whereby you cannot SDC to D1 from a standard domestic F fare? If that's the case this is a charge from what I've done previously and I will need to update my expectations.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ryanfinger
So there is a rule now whereby you cannot SDC to D1 from a standard domestic F fare? If that's the case this is a charge from what I've done previously and I will need to update my expectations.
Changed earlier this year. However in your case it sounds like the issue was with fare class on the CRJ.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...l-changes.html
  • If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.

The change actually occurred last year -- No more SDC into D1
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Changed earlier this year. However in your case it sounds like the issue was with fare class on the CRJ.
Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:27 pm

In my experience, @Delta is a more efficient and less frustrating avenue to handle SDC changes.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by LBJ
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...l-changes.html
  • If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.

The change actually occurred last year -- No more SDC into D1
Right, but the issue OP was raising was a voluntary downgrade he was willing to take. (I was too.) Seems like they should accommodate!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Right, but the issue OP was raising was a voluntary downgrade he was willing to take. (I was too.) Seems like they should accommodate!
LBJ was responding to OP post #4 and my post #5 about D1 SDC.

Assuming this was a fare with an underlying coach fare class, this is what caused issue. (UP fare)
It would've been possible, if agent had realized the system was trying to force the underlying coach fare class.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than trying to force the SDC, it may be easier for the agent to change and waive the change fee. Sometimes, one gets the right answer to the wrong question.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Rather than trying to force the SDC, it may be easier for the agent to change and waive the change fee. Sometimes, one gets the right answer to the wrong question.
Do you write fortune cookies for a living?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.