Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Out of Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by boatnfish
Have a upcoming trip to Las Vegas for a long weekend. Noticed that Delta flies out of terminal 1, D gates which appear to be a shuttle ride to reach. Question is, how much time ahead of departure is recommended to arrive at the airport? It is a Monday departure at 0600, I will have TSAPrecCheck and will have one checked bag. Could carry it on if that made a big difference but prefer to just check it. Really, how bag is security at that time?

Thanks in advance.
Carry on your bag, use the boarding pass on your phone, and go through TSA Pre Check at T3. I do it all the time and it's always been quicker than going through T1.

OPS
McGowan06 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:27 pm
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
DL at LAS is a strict 45 min cutoff for checked bags. Got burned by that last year in a similar scenario (could carry-on but wanted to check) and the line can be painfully slow even if it's short.

Security is quick but then you have to take the airside train over to the gates and walk about 5-7 minutes depending on speed and pace to get to the furthest DL gates
With Clear, you don't need to be at the airport more than 30 minutes before your flight, but the 45 minute cut-off is absolutely real. I have been on the bad end of that an embarrassing number of times. I've heard of people being denied boarding passes if, say, hypothetically you forgot to check in and got to the airport 30 minutes before your flight's scheduled departure.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by mattya9
Carry on your bag, use the boarding pass on your phone, and go through TSA Pre Check at T3. I do it all the time and it's always been quicker than going through T1
Great advice; I learned about T3 last year and it was a pretty decent transfer to/from the D Gates. Getting to Delta D-Gates, No Checked Bags
Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmx
With Clear, you don't need to be at the airport more than 30 minutes before your flight, but the 45 minute cut-off is absolutely real. I have been on the bad end of that an embarrassing number of times. I've heard of people being denied boarding passes if, say, hypothetically you forgot to check in and got to the airport 30 minutes before your flight's scheduled departure.
Amen on Clear. Not to derail the topic, but I was a bit skeptical of Clear when Delta made it a benefit for Diamonds. Now I am a HUGE fan. Even if it were not free as a benefit, I would pay the yearly fee. I didn't know Vegas had it and will be there next week. Boom!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by boatnfish
Have a upcoming trip to Las Vegas for a long weekend. Noticed that Delta flies out of terminal 1, D gates which appear to be a shuttle ride to reach. Question is, how much time ahead of departure is recommended to arrive at the airport? It is a Monday departure at 0600, I will have TSAPrecCheck and will have one checked bag. Could carry it on if that made a big difference but prefer to just check it. Really, how bag is security at that time?

Thanks in advance.
LAS is the one airport in the US where I absolutely will not mess around. I almost always go two full hours early, even with pre-check. If it isn't traffic, it is the line to check a bag, if it isn't that, it is the line at security (even pre-check). Doesn't matter what time of day it is, some days you may fly through all the steps and then have a while to kill, other days it'll take every minute of those two hours.

I've done that early Monday departure from LAS and there have been times it was as busy as I've ever seen the place since you have business travelers heading out on the road and leisure travelers trying to head back early Monday so they can drunkenly stumble into work later that morning (I may or may not be guilty or the latter).

I absolutely hate going to an airport even a moment earlier than I need to, but LAS can be so unpredictable that I wouldn't risk arriving any later than 90 minutes early.
Saj8986 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Amen on Clear. Not to derail the topic, but I was a bit skeptical of Clear when Delta made it a benefit for Diamonds. Now I am a HUGE fan. Even if it were not free as a benefit, I would pay the yearly fee. I didn't know Vegas had it and will be there next week. Boom!
+1

I was in LAS one day when the pre-check line was very long, and the guys who belonged to Clear were bypassing the line. I joined Clear the very next time I was in a SkyClub where they were signing up members.

Considering that a plate of chicken fingers and fries and one beer at Chili's near the Delta gates goes for around $30, the Centurion Club at $50 per entry (if you are like me and don't have the AMEX reserve card) is a relative bargain, considering that you get an upscale buffet and unlimited adult beverages.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ND76
+1

I was in LAS one day when the pre-check line was very long, and the guys who belonged to Clear were bypassing the line. I joined Clear the very next time I was in a SkyClub where they were signing up members.

Considering that a plate of chicken fingers and fries and one beer at Chili's near the Delta gates goes for around $30, the Centurion Club at $50 per entry (if you are like me and don't have the AMEX reserve card) is a relative bargain, considering that you get an upscale buffet and unlimited adult beverages.
n

AMEX Reserve can get you into the LAS Centurion Lounge? Crap.....if so...I’ve been missing out.

Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Saj8986
n

AMEX Reserve can get you into the LAS Centurion Lounge? Crap.....if so...I’ve been missing out.

AMEX Delta Reserve does not get you into AMEX Centurion. You used to be able to buy lounge access for $50 if you didn't have a Centurion or AMEX Plat but that has been discontinued due to crowding with access limited now to Centurion and Plat only plus guests (and $50 day passes if you exceed your guest limit).
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by mattya9
Carry on your bag, use the boarding pass on your phone, and go through TSA Pre Check at T3. I do it all the time and it's always been quicker than going through T1.

OPS
+1. Don't check a bag, go through the nearly empty Jet Blue terminal T3, take the (much shorter) train to Delta's D gates. 15 minutes max. There will be 3 people in front of you in the PC line. I arrive 75 minutes prior and am always at the gate T-55. Please don't tell anyone this secret pathway
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott, Amex
Though I'm not advocating it, I have frequently gotten in a taxi from hotel one hour prior to scheduled departure and easily made my flight. I have TSA Pre and Clear and never rent a car nor check a bag there. ...and man, why do those blackjack heaters always happen when you have to leave for airport!?

To be fair, at peak times if I did not have TSA Pre and Clear I would want a full two hours at LAS.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
carry your bag through TSA then check it at the gate, if the line at the counter is long/slow.

75 minutes ahead with TSA PRE is probably adequate if you are comfortable w/ the above approach.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Which gates does DL have at LAS?
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Which gates does DL have at LAS?
Can't recall the specific gate numbers, but DL operates out of the end of the D concourse in LAS.
matchbox20_is likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Can't recall the specific gate numbers, but DL operates out of the end of the D concourse in LAS.
It’s like 36-43 or thereabouts. I was recently there and came into 37 or 39 on an A321 and went out of 42 on a 738 (and the 752 to ATL left 42 immediately before us).

It’s a quick walk from the escalator but it’s the other direction from the Centurion (about a 5-7 minute walk from Centurion down to the DL gates)
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
D34-D42 (not sure if they use the odd-numbered gates other than D41; we arrived at D42 and departed from D38 in Feb)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.