Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PS now: connecting domestic in Comfort+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL

Just checked and found that...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I can't say I'm surprised, but it still sucks

This was mentioned in the DL squeezing more revenue for less premium experience thread. But I'll still elaborate here.

Effective July 3, 2018 Delta customers connecting to their Delta Premium Select experience on transatlantic and transpacific flights will receive a Delta Comfort+® seat assignment on their connecting leg of domestic travel, pending availability.

This is part of the continued evolution of Delta’s onboard product that will offer more Delta Premium Select options with the delivery of more state-of-the-art A350 aircraft and the modification of the airline’s 777 fleet, in addition to creating a more seamless experience with our joint venture partners, Air France, KLM, Alitalia and Virgin Atlantic.
Source: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...and-trans.html
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
The wording isn't clear that people who book PS before July 3 will retain their first class domestic connection flights. Hopefully they will, even if the ticket is subsequently reissued due to a schedule change.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Wow, I missed this memo. Interesting.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This makes PS much less appealing unless you can book nonstop flights. I'm surprised that FC connections aren't part of the more expensive PS fares, as I understand has been the case with DL flights connecting to AF operated flights in premium economy.

If DL takes the stance that PS is equivalent to C+ (which has been reported regarding some rebookings in response to schedule changes), it won't be able to command as much of a premium fare.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This makes PS much less appealing unless you can book nonstop flights. I'm surprised that FC connections aren't part of the more expensive PS fares, as I understand has been the case with DL flights connecting to AF operated flights in premium economy.

If DL takes the stance that PS is equivalent to C+ (which has been reported regarding some rebookings in response to schedule changes), it won't be able to command as much of a premium fare.
I am surprised that domestic hops used to book into F, and while it is a downgrade for sure, as are the plastic beverage cups, it's the longhaul portion most PS passengers are really concerned with. So I'm not sure if this will change the 'premium fare' aspect of it at all. On the devil's advocate side, it helps D1 keep its premium.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I was surprised too. I suppose that the problem is that if all D1 & PS I-D book into domestic F, that won't leave much of domestic F for O&D sale.

Better to not have started the practice when PS was rare than to pull it back when it's more common.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
A bummer for sure but I was honestly shocked this isn’t how PS was implemented from the time it debuted. I would guess that DL set it up this way to help market PS and getting it going but for those who have bought it they’ll notice a downgrade. That said, even only getting C+ on the domestic US legs, it’s still better (for now) than European PE products that book into economy on the intra-Europe routes since most European carriers don’t have a C+ equivalent product.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
People didn't expect FC with a PE fare in my opinion. But if DL had marketed it properly, I think a lot of people would have seen more value in PS. I sure did, once I realized how it worked.

It's a shame they are backpedaling so quickly, because it makes more sense to use FC as an incentive for a highly profitable PS fare than sell it via FCM for an extra $50.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:20 pm

Yep. I had always been surprised it booked into first.
Oh well..
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:43 pm

Unfortunate, but not unexpected.

I have SEA-JFK-KEF booked at ridiculously low fare (around $800 roundtrip) with F/D1 on SEA-JFK flights and domestic F seats sold as PE on JFK-KEF flights.

I think customers just do not expect Premium Economy on Delta. As a result Delta can not change a large premium on a new product on a few select flights. Delta has been selling Comfort+ as Premium Economy through Corporate Travel and OTAs for a long time (and still selling).
Why Delta is selling C+ as Premium Economy through Expedia (and other TAs)

The current situation is result of Delta's uncertain / changing strategy on premium Y offerings. I talked to several friends who use Delta on business trips and they just buy "Premium Economy" on corporate travel sites because it's easy to reimburse without any additional charges for extra legroom seats. They expect more legroom had no clue that Delta offered real Premium Economy on some flights.

Most people are not as savvy as FTers, even frequent flyers, and it will take a long time for general public to learn about PS.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
So if you book a trip with a domestic connection to a PE flight the MQM earnings are likely to be lower than they used to be on the F domestic connections to VS and AF flights. About a month ago I booked MSP-CDG-OSL-AMS-DTW-MSP, with the TATL legs in PE on AF outbound and DL returning. I have since changed it to come back in Economy (with PM upgrade to C+) on AMS-MSP but I noticed on the initial booking that the DTW-MSP segment was C+ with a W fare. On my newer booking the Joon CDG-OSL flight that connects to my PE ticket on AF for MSP-CDG still shows as a G fare although I know there won’t be PE seats. All these flights are codeshares (except the AMS-MSP, which is on DL metal).
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
This makes a lot more sense to me than FC. For some reason, I'm more disappointed about the glassware.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jamiestr
This makes a lot more sense to me than FC. For some reason, I'm more disappointed about the glassware.
I agree. Cheap wine is a bit better out of glass than plastic. I am not being funny!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Over on AA, we don't even get MCE on premium economy bookings, i'm shocked its not all the way to the back of the bus for DL.It could be worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.