Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Amex Reserve Bonuses and the purchase of a car

Old Jul 4, 18, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990

Ok, limited DL content, but it is part of my calculus of earning up to 45000 MQMs and platinum requal for 2019.

I'm in the market to replace my BMW 5 series and have visited dealers for quotes. My plan was to see if I could charge
the car to my AMEX reserve card which would yield 3x 15000 sky miles, and 3x 15,000 MQMs this calendar year.

The rub is this - the dealer takes AMEX, but the amount they accept stops at $5000. I want to charge two seperate
charges of $37,000 to pay for the beemer. Reason 1 they are flinching is they have to pay 3% fee on my charge(s),
and reason 2 is using plastic for such a transaction is more risky than a wire/bank check etc.

(I should mention I have the funds onhand to pay off the AMEX charges immediately - there will be no real longterm
car loan)

Have any of you well travelled flytalkers tried to do something like this? Seems a nice valid way for scooping up
miles - but I'm at the mercy of the dealers. Is there any sort of AMEX workaround? While I have a couple of DL
TATLs still to take this year, the AMEX bonuses would be nice to get

Thanks!

Last edited by heckler; Jul 4, 18 at 6:42 pm
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Check this out:
"Use your American Express Card to pay up to the full purchase price of your vehicle at these dealers"
https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/prom...er-carpurchase

"Up to" means it's still going to be at the discretion of the dealership even if they are listed, though. You can try to negotiate paying 3% more on the car in exchange?
Old Jul 4, 18, 6:59 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by heckler View Post
...The dealer takes AMEX, but the amount they accept stops at $5000. I want to charge two separate charges of $37,000 to pay for the beemer. Reason 1 they are flinching is they have to pay 3% fee on my charge(s),
and reason 2 is using plastic for such a transaction is more risky than a wire/bank check etc.
I got the same story from a dealer last September when I paid $19,500 out-the-door for a Honda. $5,000 max on the Delta Amex or any other card. I went with the mgf's1% annual interest rate financing on the balance, which was fine with me. The dealer said the $5,000 charge limit is firm for them because they don't want a charge-back if the customer changes his mind about the purchase.
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Check this out:
"Use your American Express Card to pay up to the full purchase price of your vehicle at these dealers"

"Up to" means it's still going to be at the discretion of the dealership even if they are listed, though. You can try to negotiate paying 3% more on the car in exchange?
Yeah, I would if needed offer to pay the 3% - i'm trading in another 5 series too ( which I did get all the bonus mileage on in 2011), through another dealer.. got 75,000 + 45,000 bonus skymiles (and MQMs) from it.
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Check this out:

I used truecar (and was able to negotiate further below the truecar price), the dealer capped the credit card amount at $5k sadly
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Check this out:

Wow,, thanks.. that's a handy mapping application. I'll do some drilling down on it - hopefully the dealer info is still correct.
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:57 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I was able to do this at County Line BMW in Connecticut, but only after a fairly rigorous process of placing signed/approved loan documents in some form of escrow, covered by a mutual agreement that would revert the transaction to that loan immediately upon any chargeback or other cause where the AMEX payment was rescinded.

They did not assess the merchant fee, but I think that was a favor since we’ve been loyal customers of CL since 1995, when we bought our first 750iL there.

BenA likes this.
Old Jul 4, 18, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even with the $5000 limit, the dealer might be willing to bill other fees/services separately and let you use your Reserve card in addition for these (hopefully small) amounts, such as dealer prep, tags/title/registration, even dealer installed options.
Old Jul 4, 18, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Also, for the thousands in fees you may have to pay (depending on the dealer) you may find it cheaper to just mileage run for some of those MQM.
Old Jul 4, 18, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Also, for the thousands in fees you may have to pay (depending on the dealer) you may find it cheaper to just mileage run for some of those MQM.
Yes, i thought about that.. in buying the car i'd net about 120,000 skymiles and 45,000 MQMs. I figured that 2 TPAC roundtrips to NRT or BKK would cover alot of it -however those would likely cost $5000 each.. so its either spend $10000 on Mileage runs, or $2300 to grease the 3% fee wheel -
Old Jul 4, 18, 10:07 pm

You can prepay federal taxes for a lot less than 3%. Given the 1% PWM option I find prepaying federal taxes better than the 3% surcharge merchants like car dealerships charge.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jul 5, 18, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
You can prepay federal taxes for a lot less than 3%. Given the 1% PWM option I find prepaying federal taxes better than the 3% surcharge merchants like car dealerships charge.
Whats the 1% PWM option?
Old Jul 5, 18, 6:12 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Yup, pay Fed taxes & it's easy to hit max.
Old Jul 5, 18, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
It is all about negotiations. I put 13k on a points card and then paid 10k with Money Orders: https://renespoints.boardingarea.com...d-well-mostly/

An idea is study up on MS here on FT and they pay for the car 100% with MOs if they do not like CC: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...-spending-719/
Old Jul 5, 18, 7:09 am

If prepaying federal taxes costs in the low 2% range and the additional Skymiles received are worth 1 cent using PWM your net cost is in the low 1% range.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: