Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Amex Reserve Bonuses and the purchase of a car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Amex Reserve Bonuses and the purchase of a car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Well, quick update on the buying of a new car with my Delta AMEX reserve card. One week before exchange was to be sealed, the dealer did a 360 and decided to not let me put any large sum on my DL reserve card (to scoop all the bonus miles and MQMs.) I think he became suddenly aware he couldn't legally do this deal. So it all went wrong in the end. Still I did learn alot in the process...

Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by heckler
Well, quick update on the buying of a new car with my Delta AMEX reserve card. One week before exchange was to be sealed, the dealer did a 360 and decided to not let me put any large sum on my DL reserve card...
I think you mean 180.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:33 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Well, quick update on the buying of a new car with my Delta AMEX reserve card. One week before exchange was to be sealed, the dealer did a 360 and decided to not let me put any large sum on my DL reserve card (to scoop all the bonus miles and MQMs.) I think he became suddenly aware he couldn't legally do this deal. So it all went wrong in the end. Still I did learn alot in the process...

What is the color of that? Is that one of the BMW Individual colors? I like it!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

That's a very nice car.

My fairly recent experience in buying a new Mercedes from a local dealer I know is that they were happy to take my AmEx DL Reserve card (which I've been using at the dealership for service over the last decade) over the phone for a big deposit and for various fees and charges, but they wanted a personal check (isn't this more risky if you're writing the check and driving away) for the main purchase price. There was no mention of merchant fees, although I didn't push much as I was going to max out on the MQMs on my card in a couple months anyway.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Paying an extra 3% is the tail wagging the dog! Your bonus miles are worth a penny apiece.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM
FWIW there are some new payment services that allow you to use a CC for purchases that normally limit CC usage or don't accept them. 2.5% service fee, better than 3% if you wanted to max out your DL AMEX MQM bonuses:
https://www.plastiq.com/how-it-works/

Saw this example of a guy buying a Tesla 3 with a Chase card via Plastiq:
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...plastiq-2018-6

I guess you'd want to compare the 2.5% fee to the benefits you'd gain with a MQM boost - say you get to DM, probably not the worst trade, depending what you're in to
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Paying an extra 3% is the tail wagging the dog! Your bonus miles are worth a penny apiece.
I agree personally, but part of what OP was chasing was MQMs. By charging $30k there is the 15,000 MQM bonus (and 15k skypesos).
So for $900 in fees, OP would have earned 45,000 SM ($450) and 15,000 MQM. Are Medallion miles worth $0.03 each? If someone is close to Diamond, maybe....
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's hard/impossible to find any MRs that yield MQMs for less than three cents each. Of course, they're only valuable if MQD requirements can be met.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.