Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoGo Wifi on DL Flights to Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
GoGo Wifi on DL Flights to Alaska

Question for anyone who has used GoGo Wifi between the US and Alaska (particularly if you've flown from the Pacific Northwest or West Coast up to Alaska). I tried a quick search via Google and the forum but "Gogo Alaska wifi", even adding "Delta" kept giving me results relating to Alaska Airlines' GoGo.

I did check the GoGo coverage map and it does show coverage along the corridors between SEA and Alaska. I have a flight soon (SEA-ANC) and am considering getting GoGo to do school work on the flight. Has anyone used GoGo on this route or a similar routing up to Alaska and if so, has it worked well (well about as well as GoGo usually works) or have they had issues?

ETA: I will be on a 737-900.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jul 4, 2018 at 3:11 pm Reason: Add Aircraft Type
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Are you going to be on an aircraft with 2Ku sat wifi?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Are you going to be on an aircraft with 2Ku sat wifi?
Meant to add it and realized I forgot to but I'll be on a 737-900.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Longer haul domestic aircraft have been getting 2Ku satellite Wifi which will work as you can see from map below
https://www.gogoair.com/commercial/i...t-systems/2ku/

DL aircraft refurb status --
Delta Aircraft Refurbishment - 2018 - Page 8 - Airliners.net

As you can see from above, all 739's have 2Ku wifi.

Older Gogo ATG systems (air-to-ground) use ground-based antennas mounted on towers which only have a range of about 100 miles -- there are no antennas in remote areas like northern Canada nor in the ocean. These are used on shorter haul aircraft like MD-80's.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 4, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I’ve used Gogo on DL SEA-ANC. While it is advertised as continuous coverage, in reality it can be spotty going over the B.C. coast.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Chugach
I’ve used Gogo on DL SEA-ANC. While it is advertised as continuous coverage, in reality it can be spotty going over the B.C. coast.
Was it 2Ku, or the older ATG or ATG-4 ground--based systems?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Was it 2Ku, or the older ATG or ATG-4 ground--based systems?
Older (last time I wound up on DL on SEA-ANC was last year, though).
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat
I fly this SEA-ANC route 25-30 times per year on DL.... Gogo works flawlessly 90% of the time but sometimes when you have to fly far from the coast it can be spotty but is usually not for a long time.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrlittell
I fly this SEA-ANC route 25-30 times per year on DL.... Gogo works flawlessly 90% of the time but sometimes when you have to fly far from the coast it can be spotty but is usually not for a long time.
If the signal cuts out because you are too far from the coast, you are flying on something with older ATG technology. OP is flying a 739 with 2Ku satellite which does not care about coastlines because the signal is coming from a satellite above, rather than a radio tower below.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
2Ku will have service, even over Canada.

My suggestion would be to use FR24 in the days before the flight and cross reference the tail number with the wiki in the appropriate aircraft mods thread here in the DL forum to verify if the aircraft has it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: DL DM
Living in ANC my experience is that the SEA flights on the 737-800/900 tend to work very well for inflight wifi. (Actually GoGo works well on both DL and AS for this route in my experience). I'd say 95% of my flights on this route have had no issues. The wifi has gotten better when I take the MSP flight, but to me it's not as reliable on that route. I'm doing the summer nonstop ATL later on this month and I'm expecting it to be about the same as MSP or worse since it's the old domestic 767.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
If the signal cuts out because you are too far from the coast, you are flying on something with older ATG technology. OP is flying a 739 with 2Ku satellite which does not care about coastlines because the signal is coming from a satellite above, rather than a radio tower below.
However farther North you get the more the signal degrades.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Living in ANC my experience is that the SEA flights on the 737-800/900 tend to work very well for inflight wifi. (Actually GoGo works well on both DL and AS for this route in my experience). I'd say 95% of my flights on this route have had no issues. The wifi has gotten better when I take the MSP flight, but to me it's not as reliable on that route. I'm doing the summer nonstop ATL later on this month and I'm expecting it to be about the same as MSP or worse since it's the old domestic 767.
Thanks for the feedback (as well as to the others in this thread). I went ahead and opted for a day pass. It was $16 so if it doesn't work, it's not like I'm out that much.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
However farther North you get the more the signal degrades.
I just assumed that these are not geostationary orbits. Is that not true?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Thanks for the feedback (as well as to the others in this thread). I went ahead and opted for a day pass. It was $16 so if it doesn't work, it's not like I'm out that much.
​​​​​​It should be good for a year from purchase, so you can always check the tail number etc on day of travel and make a decision then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.