Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL squeezing more revenue for less premium experience

DL squeezing more revenue for less premium experience

Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
The salt and pepper presentation in F is really sad! The little paper things wrapped up in a napkin go flying When opening the napkin and you never see The paper salt and pepper things again. This just doesn’t seem to be first class to me!
SJC ORD LDR and arunhn like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by lonelygod
Maybe next year they’ll just change the dinnerware for PS from China to plastic... not a big deal but it just seems low. After all PS is aligning with domestic F.
Frankly, I’d rather have a great meal on a plastic plate than a mediocre meal on the best bone China money can buy.

However, since we’re likely to get neither, I call foul.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:11 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by TheHorta
[left]

Frankly, I’d rather have a great meal on a plastic plate than a mediocre meal on the best bone China money can buy.
I'm with you, but not everyone can tell the difference so they'll worry more about the plates.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
The issue I think is DL charges rates that compared to others J is on the higher side of the spectrum. That’s fine to do that BUT the service (both hard and soft product) should match the costs.

Sadly its starting to be more like “pay the premium for crappier service”
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
The salt and pepper presentation in F is really sad! The little paper things wrapped up in a napkin go flying When opening the napkin and you never see The paper salt and pepper things again. This just doesn’t seem to be first class to me!
Agree, I hate having to use paper packets of salt and pepper. DL needs to bring back the salt and pepper shakers ASAP!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
So... is the new slogan: “Delta ONE: You can get better, but you can’t pay more!”

rickg523 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta

However, since we’re likely to get neither, I call foul.
Haha. You will get a mediocre meal on a plastic plate.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Not "defending" it but it's simply a cost-benefit analysis. The question is "do the cost benefits, including significant weight reduction (so less fuel burn) from changing PS service from serving beverages in glass ware to plastic cups offset any potential lost revenue from bookings or lack of bookings due to the changes in service?" I don't have the answer to that question myself, but DL seems to think it does and that the answer is "Yes".
I doubt the motivation is the minimal fuel savings of the weight of the glasses. I think its more them having capacity in terms of storage space for the glasses, first off - with 48 PS seats, if each person only gets 1 drink with each service, that's at least 96 glasses. I'm not sure how many they have space for or how many they load excluding PS - but I did hear FAs talking about the galley space on the A350 already being cramped...

I think the 2nd consideration is the Alessi products - especially the regular water/soda etc. glasses with their sharpish/thin rims - have chipped/broken a lot and are not holding up as durably as DL expected. Between losing some of the product and having so many available for PS service - I think it was stretching their supplies too thin, especially with refurbed 777s. They already are out of the salt and pepper shakers.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
W should not be using plastic. That looks cheap.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Actually my point is plastic cup can hold probably half the soda/water when comparing with the glass one... as a “big” drinker who always get thirsty, what I could say is I prefer glasses. And I know I need to bring my own soda/water - I did that before and and asked FA for a cup of ice. Next time I probably snap a new plastic cup from sky club (just kidding
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Well, before ya know it, they'll be back to SkyDeli! But only FC and C+ passengers get the turkey twinkie.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:17 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
There certainly isn’t a universal standard on this when it comes to Premium Economy. The oneworld carriers actually tend to use plastic cups- AA, CX, IB and I believe JL. BA does glass for wine and plastic for all other beverages.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer
All the Medallions complain about not getting free upgrades on these flights, so they offer comp upgrades. Then they reduce the service. What do you expect when so many people want it for free.
Are less people paying for D1 than they were prior?
Prior to this the seats were going to non revs and the service did not have the changes above.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by apodo77

Are less people paying for D1 than they were prior?
Prior to this the seats were going to non revs and the service did not have the changes above.
Well, they've added D1 on BOS-SFO/LAX, which are huge money losers since there are so much lie flat capacity around. JFK-LAS D1 is also a disaster in yield. Their cost on D1 is way too high compared mint, so now they attempt to cut costs. I don't see how that can be the way to go though.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tphuang
Well, they've added D1 on BOS-SFO/LAX, which are huge money losers since there are so much lie flat capacity around. JFK-LAS D1 is also a disaster in yield. Their cost on D1 is way too high compared mint, so now they attempt to cut costs. I don't see how that can be the way to go though.
However those routes have 1 flight that is D1 a day, rest are normal F. Regardless my Last BOS/LAX I saw the passenger list for D1. I was not just only DM, but only elite in cabin. Rest was paid D1 passengers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.