Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Missed connection as an excuse for hidden city

Old Jul 3, 18, 9:22 am
Original Poster

I need to fly from JFK to SVO oneway. There are no nonstop options on Delta skymiles, but there are plenty of flights JFK-<European city> with connection in SVO, operated by Aeroflot, and only for 32,500 skymiles.

Since I don't want Delta to punish me for the hidden city, can I choose an itinerary with the short connection at SVO, miss it, and use it as an excuse for not continuing my trip? There is a good chance that flight SU103 flight departing at 7.10pm will be delayed on Friday evening out of JFK.
Old Jul 3, 18, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta Plat
DL will not even care about the excuse. They will likely not even notice you missed the flight (other than the miles for the second leg will not credit).

Whatever algs they have for looking into those who violate these rules, they do not hit one off cases. They are looking for patterns of abuse. And almost certainly do not look at flights operated by other airliens as they have no clue what actually happened.

EDIT: The real risk you have is that DL has a schedule adjustment and elects to fly you via some other route.
Old Jul 3, 18, 9:54 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
DL will not even care about the excuse. They will likely not even notice you missed the flight (other than the miles for the second leg will not credit).

Whatever algs they have for looking into those who violate these rules, they do not hit one off cases. They are looking for patterns of abuse. And almost certainly do not look at flights operated by other airliens as they have no clue what actually happened.

EDIT: The real risk you have is that DL has a schedule adjustment and elects to fly you via some other route.
It sounds like this would be a DL ticket booked with SkyMiles though. Does that change your assessment? (IMO, the risk is pretty low anyway).

OP - I presume you already have a visa or other entry document so that needing to show flight itineraries isn't going to be an issue?
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:04 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
You'll need a Russian visa to be able to board your first leg.
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Plenty of Aeroflot long-haul availability? Examples, please.
Old Jul 3, 18, 10:38 am
Original Poster

I have Russian and US citizenship, there are no visa issues. SVO (Moscow) is my intended destination.

3Cforme: I tried the following routes on Aug 9: JFK-DRS, JFK-SOF, JFK-CPH. Taxes are high, but it's still cheaper than oneway JFK-SVO fare of $618.
Old Jul 3, 18, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
depending on Russian customs/immigration rules regarding intl-to-intl connections at SVO, baggage will probably be checked through to the ticketed destination
Old Jul 3, 18, 11:55 am

Your only risk is a schedule change or flight crenelation that changes your routing through another hub city. If that's the case you'll be SOL.
Old Jul 3, 18, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ftFromNewYork View Post
I have Russian and US citizenship, there are no visa issues. SVO (Moscow) is my intended destination.

3Cforme: I tried the following routes on Aug 9: JFK-DRS, JFK-SOF, JFK-CPH. Taxes are high, but it's still cheaper than oneway JFK-SVO fare of $618.
Thank you for the examples.

We see married segment availability is alive and kicking on Delta award search. Yes to JFK-SVO-SOF but no JFK-SVO.
Old Jul 3, 18, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX View Post
Your only risk is a schedule change or flight crenelation that changes your routing through another hub city. If that's the case you'll be SOL.
That's why I prefer eastern european destinations where Aeroflot has more presence than other Sky team members.
Old Jul 3, 18, 1:25 pm

I have heard that on a miles/points ticket DL reserves the right to deduct the additional miles on a hidden city ticket after the fact unlike on a revenue ticket.
Old Jul 3, 18, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Thank you for the examples.

We see married segment availability is alive and kicking on Delta award search. Yes to JFK-SVO-SOF but no JFK-SVO.
Yep - even for partners. I could not get LHR-JFK on VS in J as an award ticket but I could get LIN/FCO-LHR-JFK on AZ/VS as an award in J. Go figure.....
(This worked out better for me at least as it saves me the ticket of an LIN/FCO-LHR hop anyway so it's preferred but I still found it odd).
Old Jul 3, 18, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
I have heard that on a miles/points ticket DL reserves the right to deduct the additional miles on a hidden city ticket after the fact unlike on a revenue ticket.
Heard? From any credible source you wish to share, given no one has ever reported this happening.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Yep - even for partners. I could not get LHR-JFK on VS in J as an award ticket but I could get LIN/FCO-LHR-JFK on AZ/VS as an award in J. Go figure.....
(This worked out better for me at least as it saves me the ticket of an LIN/FCO-LHR hop anyway so it's preferred but I still found it odd).
Were you on the phone or just searching online? If online it could be a search or display error. Partner availability is usually partner availability, and dl.com doesn't always display it properly.
Old Jul 3, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
Heard? From any credible source you wish to share, given no one has ever reported this happening.
Were you on the phone or just searching online? If online it could be a search or display error. Partner availability is usually partner availability, and dl.com doesn't always display it properly.
I saw it online. I already had a LHR-US flight booked in Premium Economy on VS but when I saw the space in J and being able to depart from Italy (where I'll be for my trip) and with space in J, I called and switched. It actually took a few calls and attempts, with the reservation being screwed up and only being rebooked in PE the first time around, and then the second time the agent said they could see the space online but then couldn't process it, then on a later call I was able to get it through and booked.
Old Jul 3, 18, 8:25 pm

In my experience US - SVO - XXX is a phantom availability and will err once you try to book it. SU awards seems to be completely blocked out for DL other partner redemptions on long haul SU flights, despite plenty of space is available on these flights for redemptions via SU program. There is some limited availability on flights between SVO and Europe and more availability on Russian domestic flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: