Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award availability on Kenya Airways using Delta miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond

Hi,

I am looking to book an award ticket from NBO-JFK-DTW on KQ using Skymiles. I need to fly on April 5th or 6th. The first two agents I talked to insisted they could not book any awards on KQ during that time. The next two agents, after much pushing and 45 min on hold, found availability on the 2nd and 7th. However, both ExpertFlyer and the AF website show plenty of availability throughout April. For those the 6th and 7th EF shows 7 O fare seats available. Any insights to why DL insists they can't book the 6th but can on the 7th or strategies to push the issue?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They must use direct access. Whatever that means. KQ flights can't be booked using the normal processes or else they get a "link is down" message. This system setup by KQ can also result in EF showing inventory that is no longer really there. It's more aggravating booking awards on KQ than even the mainland Chinese airlines.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Xzorba
I am looking to book an award ticket from NBO-JFK-DTW on KQ using Skymiles.
Are you looking for the JFK connection specifically? There are several SkyTeam routings than can get you NBO-DTW in just two segments, not all of which involve travel on the difficult-to-book KQ:

NBO-LHR (overnight)-DTW
NBO-AMS (redeye)-DTW
NBO-CDG (redeye)-DTW
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Yeah I looked into those first actually, however DL is not showing availability for me on the dates I need (they do on AF 339k miles vs 115k for the KQ flight). The CDG/AMS flights other days that week are also showing 345k miles for business vs 95k for KQ.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those CDG/AMS flights aren't really AF/KL partner awards because they involve DL metal over the atlantic and hence the high award rates (DL rates can be anything from 90K to 300K+). It's whoever you are flying over the atlantic that controls which award rate you will get. You are probably better off searching for flights to BOS/JFK/EWR/IAD/YYZ and buying a separate ticket to DTW (or taking the Robert Q. from YYZ). You will be able to fly AF/KL/SV/VS/9W over the atlantic to those destinations. While there is the daily AF CDG-DTW flight, because it's only a single daily flight there is very little chance of getting award availability. Trying to include DTW in the equation brings married segment logic into play and will greatly limit your ability to find 95K awards (just because you can find a 95K award to a US gateway does not mean you can tack-on any old flight to DTW for no additional miles, even if there is low bucket DL availability on the flight).

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 3, 2018 at 6:41 am
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:26 am
Original Poster

BOS....I always forget about BOS. I checked just about every other city. I do see availability for my dates for NBO-CDG-LHR-BOS in business for 95k. That might be problem solved.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Is JFK-NBO on KQ not bookable by Delta? No agent could find dates that show was available on EF and the Flying Blue website.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Is JFK-NBO on KQ not bookable by Delta? No agent could find dates that show was available on EF and the Flying Blue website.
They need to long sell it (see here).
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Yup (regarding the long sell). It took until the 4th agent for me to find one who knew how to do it and book the original ticket.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
thx to all. Manged to find an agent to do it and got it booked.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: All of the Above
How much is it for JFK-NBO in J for 1 pax? I see the availability on EF, but the DL agents say they don't see anything and I can't book it.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

If I recall I booked 95k miles per person one way SEZ-NBO-JFK in business. That was ultimately canceled on me though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.