LAX newbie questions

Old Jul 2, 18, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
LAX newbie questions

I have an upcoming flight booked for Sat 7/28 out of LAX. Just looking at the LAX terminal map scares the you-know-what out of me. My first international flight (unless you count all those DTW-YYZ flights during high school and college )

LAS-LAX arrives 8.30am on WN (separate tix)

connecting to (1 ticket for all 3 segments)
DL LAX-DTW (F) 1:50pm-9:15pm (1:30 layover)
connecting to
DL DTW-AMS (D1) 10:45pm-12:30pm +1, 1:05 layover
connecting to
AMS-OTP (Z) (DL 9340, operated by KL)

I'm counting on having enough time upon arrival to get my bags in T1 and dropping them off at T2, stopping in the SC there, then onto T3 for departure. Is there a secure way to travel between T1/T2 or do I need to go thru T2 security? The map shows a bus between T2-T3. How much time should I allow for the transfer to T3 prior to departure?

Speaking of T2, I found this little nugget at https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...formation.html
Delta One® customers may enjoy Delta One(SM) at LAX which is located at the first entry point for Terminal 2 and can be easily identified by the "Delta ONE" signage along the curb. As we work to improve the Delta One at LAX experience, you will enjoy exclusive access to the front of the applicable security lane from a private corridor, ensuring a seamless check-in experience.

Can I assume the DTW-AMS D1 segment doesn't qualify for this at LAX? I haven't enrolled in PreC since I usually get that on the BP whenever I fly in F. Is it better time wise to go thru security at T2 or at T3?

I believe I can check my bags all the way from LAX-AMS, go thru customs and recheck to OTP. Is the 1:05 layover enough time for that? Since Delta let me book the 1:30 D-I connection in Detroit, I don't have to worry about the suggested “3 hr prior to international flights” check-in... or do I?

One last question about the T2 SC. What time is breakfast usually served until and/or what time does lunch usually start? Any different times for weekends?
TIA.
Old Jul 2, 18, 1:15 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
OK so you'll have to come out of the secure site at T1 to get your bags.
Then, go up stairs to T2 (walk it) and you can check in at the T2 Delta One check in as you noticed.
Simple temporary check-in with a little mini lounge there (helpful if there an issue like when I was going to mis-connect and they need time to rebook me, so we got to sit and lounge while the worked on it). You should be able check your bag to the final destination
Check at this point which gate/terminal you'll be flying out of.
I'd recommend the T2 SkyClub (you'll go through security to get to it) as the T3 is smaller and often crowded.
If you are departing T3 or TBIT (three digit gate), I plan about 15 minutes to catch the bus from T2.

At AMS, I believe you will stay on the International side of the airport (Terminals DEF) because Romania isn't a Schengen country. So if that's true you don't need to clear customs. If it somehow is on the Schengen area, you just pass through passport control. When you transit in Europe, you don't collect bags like you have to if you do an international to domestic connection like in the US.

At AMS, on the international side of things, you'd have the KLM lounge 52 (25 at the Schengen/European side). It's under renovation so can get a bit crazy crowded but it's fine.

The SkyClub breakfast --> lunch turn over I think is between 10-11 am

So no worries about the 3 hour check-in notice and 90 minutes is more than enough to connect in DTW. I love the fountain right by the main entrance and the big Delta lounge in DTW, so check that out. The two clubs on the ends of the terminal are smaller but nice and cozy too.

Finally, if you don't have Global Entry on return to the US, get this: https://mobilepassport.us
This will help on re-entry and at many airports you have a special lane so you get to bypass the long lines.

Have a great first International trip in Biz no less!!
Old Jul 2, 18, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD View Post
Finally, if you don't have Global Entry on return to the US, get this: https://mobilepassport.us
This will help on re-entry and at many airports you have a special lane so you get to bypass the long lines.
Return is AMS-SLC. Specifically booked that as my co-worker (who flies internationally almost monthly) says that's a great airport for customs. Only 4 arriving int'l flights, none at the same time, longest wait time is 20 minutes... I'm supposed to say "hi" to Jill from my co-worker

If he's wrong, I'll strangle him for the bad advice
Old Jul 2, 18, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Romania isn't in Schengen so OP will clear Immigration and Customs on arrival into OPT

There are 6 EU nations that aren't part of Schengen and 3 non EU countries that are part of it so it's important not to conflate the two
Old Jul 2, 18, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Romania isn't in Schengen so OP will clear Immigration and Customs on arrival into OPT
Yet Schiphol's website says differently.
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/pass...vel-documents/
When travelling from Schiphol to a non-Schengen country, you have to pass through Passport Control.

But more importantly, do I have to go outside to have a cigarette????
Old Jul 2, 18, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan View Post
Yet Schiphol's website says differently.
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/pass...vel-documents/
When travelling from Schiphol to a non-Schengen country, you have to pass through Passport Control.

But more importantly, do I have to go outside to have a cigarette????
The info is if you were originating at AMS. You're connecting from an inbound non-Schengen flight. Since flight is exUS you won't even need to reclear security, you'll be dumped into the international side of airport. Unlike the US, most countries have a separate part of airport for international flights. It means you won't clear passport control and can continue to next internatiinal flight. If you were connecting to a Schengen country, you would clear passport control and depart from the "domestic" side of airport.
Old Jul 2, 18, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan View Post
Return is AMS-SLC. Specifically booked that as my co-worker (who flies internationally almost monthly) says that's a great airport for customs. Only 4 arriving int'l flights, none at the same time, longest wait time is 20 minutes... I'm supposed to say "hi" to Jill from my co-worker

If he's wrong, I'll strangle him for the bad advice
SLC is great till it isn't. If a flight is delayed/early and multiple planes wind up there at the same time, it can be a mess since the facilities aren't set up to handle it. And, don't forget all the Mexico flights - that can add ~5 intl flights on their own depending on the day of the week.

I second everything NOLAnwGOLD said - that whole post has it right re: LAX & AMS. Enjoy the trip!
Old Jul 2, 18, 4:02 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
QUESTION:

We're arriving D1 SYD>LAX this week, then F on LAX>ATL>HSV.

We have a long layover at LAX (6 hours!).

Do we have access to the D1 service for arrivals passing through LAX? Or is it just D1 originating from LAX?
Old Jul 2, 18, 4:19 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So the KLM lounge has a smoking room. It's closed regularly every few hours for cleaning due to Dutch regulations. There's a few areas that have outside smoking areas I believe as well though you should just quit and save all the $$$ you waste and save it for your next international trip!

NEXT:
I assume you'll be able check everything through Huntsville (this post has make me learn two new airport codes!) so you shouldn't need to do anything besides pass through customs (again get Mobile Passport if you don't have Global Entry as it will save you time in line) and collect your bags. Right out side it you'll be able to re-check your bag, so no need to drag it back to the check-in area. If you don't have all your boarding passes, you can get them from the agent that takes your bag.

Yes, you'll have access to the SkyClub in T2 & 3 since you are arriving in on D1 and connecting.

With 6 hours, you also can head to be beach nearby (Venice, Hermosa, Manhattan or even Santa Monica) and have a nice meal/stroll and stretch your legs. Only the T2 club has showers (which never look busy, though I've never really tried to use them (I might around Xmas when I'm IAH-LAX-CDG-MAD, oddly being a connecting passenger in my hometown!).
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 2, 18, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Vegas, you did well to give yourself plenty of time at LAX between flights. Split tickets starting an outbound international trip must be treated with care. I like 4 hours at LAX for that, and that is w/o bags.

For the rest of the journey relax. The airlines have to take care of you, and it costs them if they screw up.
Old Jul 2, 18, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHorta View Post
QUESTION:

We're arriving D1 SYD>LAX this week, then F on LAX>ATL>HSV.

We have a long layover at LAX (6 hours!).

Do we have access to the D1 service for arrivals passing through LAX? Or is it just D1 originating from LAX?
Is it same day as your SYD-LAX arrival? If so yes. You can get bags tagged all the way in SYD, thus just pickup and drop off bags at the bag recheck. No need to use the D1 checkin then. In fact SYD-LAX arrives earlier than D1 checkin opens if i remember. All it is, IS a dedicated checkin position currently. The fancy stuff won't open for a year or two, or three.

For lounge will need to show SYD-LAX BP.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 3, 18, 1:33 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
One way to whittle away at a long LAX layover--although it won't be open at 8:30--is to walk over to the In-N-Out Burger on Sepulveda. Great views of LAX arrivals.
Old Jul 4, 18, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
Vegas, you did well to give yourself plenty of time at LAX between flights. Split tickets starting an outbound international trip must be treated with care. I like 4 hours at LAX for that, and that is w/o bags.
To be honest, it was simply the cheaper of the LAS-LAX WN morning flights. Could have booked a 5:30AM departure for even less, but... don't think TSA would have liked me very much at that early hour (Not a morning person)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: