Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have 70K Mile Delta One O/W TATL Awards Quietly Disappeared???

Have 70K Mile Delta One O/W TATL Awards Quietly Disappeared???

Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:25 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
However part of the high repricing is because the outbound is being repriced also. Fly the outbound and then change the return. No repricing happens to the already flown outbound.
If I fly my outbound to ZAG, then try to rebook my return, the return will price out at 280K one way, and I'm sure they'll want an additional 210K miles.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MarkCron
well, not according to some posters in this thread - other lesson learned, call in to book the return, and surcharge will not be charged
I believe that the people who have done this, have ended up having their return trips added to their departing flights creating a single round trip ticket.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by davetravels
I believe that the people who have done this, have ended up having their return trips added to their departing flights creating a single round trip ticket.
yes, that would defeat the purpose if that is true
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

What I could've done, that I didn't think of, would have been to, fly the outbound to ZAG, then, once arriving there, change the return to some date way out in the future for a later trip to Europe. I think that would've worked.

Unfortunately, the point is moot. I already canceled the whole trip.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Although I don't know what's happening on the back end, I've seen it in the app both ways. With open jaw, it has always shown up as two separate trips under "My Trips," to me indicating separate reservations. With returns from the same destination, it has shown as a RT (same trip under My Trips).
davetravels likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:04 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
So back to the original question of this 82K miles level ... what I don't understand is ... why are partner awards still only 75K?

Presumably if 82K truly is the new lowest TATL award level then partner awards will go up eventually but it seems like a pretty obvious oversight to let partner awards be cheaper than DL metal awards for even a day. I guess locking in partner awards right now remains a relatively okay strategy...
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
If I fly my outbound to ZAG, then try to rebook my return, the return will price out at 280K one way, and I'm sure they'll want an additional 210K miles.
Then book your return sometime further out (say next year, up to 330 days) as the return of a future trip, then later book the OW outbound for it. That is, if you are planning another tri pnext year, and if for next year you can get more normal OW return pricing.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
However you'll be saving whatever the additional mileage would be on the outbound. Yes, you'll still have to pay whatever if any difference for new return. However doing it before flying outbound mean both return and outbound get repriced.
davetravels likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Then book your return sometime further out (say next year, up to 330 days) as the return of a future trip, then later book the OW outbound for it. That is, if you are planning another tri pnext year, and if for next year you can get more normal OW return pricing.
I think you're saying the same thing I said in post #49 above.

Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I think you're saying the same thing I said in post #49 above.

Yes, I am. Sorry, I hadn't read down that far when I posted the reply.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
In my experience when doing this, they simply re-issue the tickets as a RT, and force availability of the prior booked segment in the mileage amount originally booked in the event the price has changed. Just ask for the international reissue desk, this is routine for them, but many front line agents have no clue about the EU-origin fee.
Thanks @ATLawyer for posting this hint. I just spent over an hour with DL on the phone and ultimately I was told they could not reissue the tickets. (I also booked two separate 331 day tix ~ 3 weeks between outbound and return.

I called and asked if they could reissue, remove the EU taxes, quoted some of the verbiage in this thread, and was put on hold for roughly 45 minutes while the international ticketing team was consulted. Ultimately the res agent told me she was unable to reissue the ticket and the EU taxes would not be credited to my account.

Please let me know if there's any other recourse other than calling back and asking to speak with another res agent.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Last edited by ridgwayk; Jul 18, 2018 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by ridgwayk
Thanks @ATLawyer for posting this hint. I just spent over an hour with DL on the phone and ultimately I was told they could not reissue the tickets. (I also booked two separate 331 day tix ~ 3 weeks between outbound and return.

I called and asked if they could reissue, remove the EU taxes, quoted some of the verbiage in this thread, and was put on hold for roughly 45 minutes while the international ticketing team was consulted. Ultimately the res agent told me she was unable to reissue the ticket and the EU taxes would not be credited to my account.

Please let me know if there's any other recourse other than calling back and asking to speak with another res agent.

Thanks for any and all advice.
As mentioned, you need to do this on the phone when you book the return (not after the fact).
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
I have done this 5 times, most recently in May for travel completed last week. Every time, I have CALLED to book the SECOND OW (I.e. the return from Europe). Informed the agent that since this is the second half of a trip to EU (first half of which is already booked and showing in my account) the EU-origin fees shouldn't apply to the return. Each time, I have had ZERO problems with the return being priced correctly. Sometimes they simply remove the fee and book the flight (both times I have been "open jaw" e.g. ATL-CDG // FCO-ATL), sometimes they reissue the outbound with the return added (when the return has been from the same place, e.g. ATL-CDG-ATL).

Having two OWs booked, and calling after the fact to have them re-coded is different, and YMMV. I only have experience doing this AT BOOKING of the return. (This is consistent with what you are saying btw--I'm not asking to re-issue the original ticket, although sometimes this is their solution, I am asking them to correctly price the return since it's not EU-origin.)
Alas, not working for me. On hold to book return from LHR with Delta who has international reissue desk on other line; they won't reissue as round trip ticket. I have explained that they just need to reissue this as round trip ticket. I guess I will hang up and try again tomorrow.

One question, does return have to be on DL metal? I am booking VA flight.

Marc
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
It appears the cheapest DL TATL premium tickets now sell for 86,000 skymiles.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by rendezvous
It appears the cheapest DL TATL premium tickets now sell for 86,000 skymiles.
Actually partners are 75K. Still far above the 90K roundtrip that I paid for my first business class TATL.

Marc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.