Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have 70K Mile Delta One O/W TATL Awards Quietly Disappeared???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have 70K Mile Delta One O/W TATL Awards Quietly Disappeared???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
When was the last time you did this? The Wiki in the thread you point to even says that you'll be charged the EU origination fee. Can you point to something specific that says this is policy? I ask because what you state flies in the face of what every post in this forum says. The fee is based on the origin of the ticket. Living in the US has zero to do with it.
Read the thread, there are multiple reports of this. The wiki is talking about OW tix.

It's pretty basic, and logical. The ticket is actually RT, but booked as two OWs for whatever reason (331 day, fluctuating award availability, etc.). Call delta, have it converted/coded/reissued as RT, and the EU-Origin fee isn't applicable.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
I've also noticed sometime in the last week that MSP-HND is now 40K in Y, previously was 35K. Not sure if there was another thread on this, but found it noticeable. There is still fantastic Y availability on this flight, but it has increased 10K RT. D1 appears to be 90K OW.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Such a surprise when you publish no award chart, you can just jack up the prices at will. Shocking!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Plat Amex
I have an sdf atl dub one way Aug 1st for 50000. Bought 1 month ago for Aug 1. Then a week later I booked dub atl sdf aug 5th for 50000. I tried to get the diamond desk to reissue the 2 one ways as a RT to get the refund of the taxes but I was told that the 50000 seats would have to be available and they are not. I plan on hula tomorrow.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sailandfly
I have an sdf atl dub one way Aug 1st for 50000. Bought 1 month ago for Aug 1. Then a week later I booked dub atl sdf aug 5th for 50000. I tried to get the diamond desk to reissue the 2 one ways as a RT to get the refund of the taxes but I was told that the 50000 seats would have to be available and they are not. I plan on hula tomorrow.
The process for last two years requires space be available even if not changing the flight. Basically awards on DL metal are treated just like paid tickets. When rebooking you're doing it from scratch at then current rates. I know ATLlawyer feels otherwise, but i have yet to see one case showing he's correct vs the multitude of cases showing that he's incorrect.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Sailandfly
For Y seats right? Or did you magically find cheap J s?

The process for last two years requires space be available even if not changing the flight. Basically awards on DL metal are treated just like paid tickets. When rebooking you're doing it from scratch at then current rates. I know ATLlawyer feels otherwise, but i have yet to see one case showing he's correct vs the multitude of cases showing that he's incorrect.
I thought DL would refund the international origination surcharge if you weren't originating in Europe - even if you had 2 one ways? As long as you started in the US
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: SPG, DL
I have done this 5 times, most recently in May for travel completed last week. Every time, I have CALLED to book the SECOND OW (I.e. the return from Europe). Informed the agent that since this is the second half of a trip to EU (first half of which is already booked and showing in my account) the EU-origin fees shouldn't apply to the return. Each time, I have had ZERO problems with the return being priced correctly. Sometimes they simply remove the fee and book the flight (both times I have been "open jaw" e.g. ATL-CDG // FCO-ATL), sometimes they reissue the outbound with the return added (when the return has been from the same place, e.g. ATL-CDG-ATL).

Having two OWs booked, and calling after the fact to have them re-coded is different, and YMMV. I only have experience doing this AT BOOKING of the return. (This is consistent with what you are saying btw--I'm not asking to re-issue the original ticket, although sometimes this is their solution, I am asking them to correctly price the return since it's not EU-origin.)
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
For Y seats right? Or did you magically find cheap J s?

I thought DL would refund the international origination surcharge if you weren't originating in Europe - even if you had 2 one ways? As long as you started in the US
This may have been the case at one time, before awards were treated like paid tickets when modifying. However I've looked in the forum and everyone says the same thing. If you're ticket starts in EU you pay it. Would make no sense to refund it. Otherwise people would book a ticket to EU, get refunded, and cancel.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:10 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Related to my OP, and, the current discussion about repricing of award ticket mileage rates when itineraries are changed . . . . .

The reason I posted this thread initially was, I had an open jaw booked for a trip in August that I booked months in advance:

PIT/ZAG 70K in J
TXL/PIT 70K in J
13 day trip

Now that it's nearly time to go, I can't take a 13 day trip, so, I was trying to do a similar trip, but much shorter. So, I was hunting for 140K round trips. I couldn't find anything that worked, so, I called - TWICE - to inquire as to what would happen to my current reservation if I just canceled the return flights, and kept the departing flights. <I found that United doesn't seem to have the Europe originating surcharge that DL has, so I was thinking to book the return with UA miles>.

Anyway, BOTH DM agents told me that if I canceled my 70K return flights, and kept my original 70K departing flights, the entire one-way reservation from PIT/ZAG repriced at 280K MILES!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by davetravels
Related to my OP, and, the current discussion about repricing of award ticket mileage rates when itineraries are changed . . . . .

The reason I posted this thread initially was, I had an open jaw booked for a trip in August that I booked months in advance:

PIT/ZAG 70K in J
TXL/PIT 70K in J
13 day trip

Now that it's nearly time to go, I can't take a 13 day trip, so, I was trying to do a similar trip, but much shorter. So, I was hunting for 140K round trips. I couldn't find anything that worked, so, I called - TWICE - to inquire as to what would happen to my current reservation if I just canceled the return flights, and kept the departing flights. <I found that United doesn't seem to have the Europe originating surcharge that DL has, so I was thinking to book the return with UA miles>.

Anyway, BOTH DM agents told me that if I canceled my 70K return flights, and kept my original 70K departing flights, the entire one-way reservation from PIT/ZAG repriced at 280K MILES!
lesson learned, for PLT and above, it almost always makes sense to book one way awards
I wonder what would happen if you change return after flying the outbound
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MarkCron
lesson learned, for PLT and above, it almost always makes sense to book one way awards
I wonder what would happen if you change return after flying the outbound
Nooooooo!

If I would've booked PIT/ZAG & TXL/PIT on separate reservations, the return trip would have had something like a $200+ish Europe originating surcharge!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

PIT/ZAG 70K in J
TXL/PIT 70K in J
13 day trip

Fly the outbound, then once in ZAG call to rebook the return.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Fly the outbound, then once in ZAG call to rebook the return.
Hmmmmm...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? TATL J award tix are 280K miles-ish close in. As LBJ posted, the New 82K "LOW" rates require a 90 day advance purchase.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Hmmmmm...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? TATL J award tix are 280K miles-ish close in. As LBJ posted, the New 82K "LOW" rates require a 90 day advance purchase.
However part of the high repricing is because the outbound is being repriced also. Fly the outbound and then change the return. No repricing happens to the already flown outbound.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Nooooooo!

If I would've booked PIT/ZAG & TXL/PIT on separate reservations, the return trip would have had something like a $200+ish Europe originating surcharge!
well, not according to some posters in this thread - other lesson learned, call in to book the return, and surcharge will not be charged

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.