Wiki Posts
Search

DL FA kicks off 4 pax

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
DL FA kicks off 4 pax

Did not see another thread about this, but maybe I missed it. This came across my facebook feed and then I found this other website with a report. Looks like the FA seriously over reacted, at least from what we can see in the video (and I know we may be missing something).

https://heavy.com/news/2018/06/delta...deejay-reborn/
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat
Seems like a case of an FA on a power trip.

On a regional no less - has anyone else noticed regional FAs are more militant about airplane mode? Several flights this year I had regional FAs pace up and down checking everyone on their cell if it was on airplane mode. Anecdotal I know, but curious if anyone has had the same experiences.
sdadept likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Did not see another thread about this, but maybe I missed it. This came across my facebook feed and then I found this other website with a report. Looks like the FA seriously over reacted, at least from what we can see in the video (and I know we may be missing something).

https://heavy.com/news/2018/06/delta...deejay-reborn/
Does seem like an overreaction especially booting 4 pax off a plane,
Of course there is another side to this story.

Based on airport where it happened, may have not been many options for the booted passengers
Assuming it was a CRJ-200 (SkyWest), That plane raises everyone's blood pressure
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by boeingguy1

On a regional no less - has anyone else noticed regional FAs are more militant about airplane mode? Several flights this year I had regional FAs pace up and down checking everyone on their cell if it was on airplane mode. Anecdotal I know, but curious if anyone has had the same experiences.
You never know what FAs on regionals will enforce. Sometimes they are by the book, other times they make up their own rules. Always been this way, and always will be, but it has gotten a little better in the last 2-3 years (at least on CP and OO).
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:24 am
Original Poster

But if the pax claim is true that her phone was already in airplane mode, then this is not an issue of enforcing by the book, it's an issue of harassing the pax. Of course this is basically impossible to know.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Keith2004
Based on airport where it happened, may have not been many options for the booted passengers ...
apparently the last flight of the evening from Fort Wayne ... nothing to do but come back the next morning
Keith2004 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:38 am

SkyWorst is vicious with this.

Airplane mode one minute.
Outside alcohol consumed onboard another minute.

I’m curious if this is just a hot button issue drilled into them? Or were they reprimanded by the FAA to enforce these petty fault finding issues that are a blemish on their in cabin service?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
I also love the irony that had this passenger NOT turned on Airplane Mode, but just kept her phone hidden/stowed, this wouldn't have been an issue.

IMO, It's more of a "your phone is visible" issue than an "airplane mode" issue.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:15 pm

I suppose a good strategy with all electronics is to just put it away before you walk down the jetway. A lot of people would not be able to stand to do that. I have no defense for this FA, but it is a fact some passengers push the issue right to the limit.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by boeingguy1

I've personally found regional FA's to be more militant in numerous ways compared to mainline FA's. Of course, I've also had some very good regional FAs as well. Almost seems like its one extreme or the other on a regional. The FA's are either amazing or you get the Gestapo.
CDTraveler and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I've personally found regional FA's to be more militant in numerous ways compared to mainline FA's. Of course, I've also had some very good regional FAs as well. Almost seems like its one extreme or the other on a regional. The FA's are either amazing or you get the Gestapo.
I find that a lot has to do with the regional carrier. For example, G7 actually has a requirement that the FA's go up and down the aisle, reminding folks to put their devices into airplane mode. Kind of annoying. I usually find YX to not really care about much of anything, whether phones, recline seats, seat belts, etc. You never know what you're gonna get, so just go into airplane mode! Who knows, perhaps this person was texting and the FA could see...wasn't there.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:20 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was flying in FC on an AA flt. from LAS to CLT. The seat config. per row, 2 seats (middle aisle) 2seats. I was seated in a window seat, a woman was next to me and her husband in the aisle seat in the same row. This plane had no overhead monitors, so the FA had to give the safety demonstration, the woman briefly said something to her husband (not loudly); the FA approached her: "do you want the plane to return to the gate to have you ejected?" That FA did pre-departure drinks, she had "bubbly stuff", after the incident, the FA came through to take drink orders once airborne, she ask for another "bubbly" drink, FA to woman: you can't have any more alcohol. That FA on a "power trip", disappeared to Y being replaced by a different one from Y.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach

Outside alcohol consumed onboard another minute.
This has Mormonism written all over it.
sdadept likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
I was flying in FC on an AA flt. from LAS to CLT. The seat config. per row, 2 seats (middle aisle) 2seats. I was seated in a window seat, a woman was next to me and her husband in the aisle seat in the same row. This plane had no overhead monitors, so the FA had to give the safety demonstration, the woman briefly said something to her husband (not loudly); the FA approached her: "do you want the plane to return to the gate to have you ejected?" That FA did pre-departure drinks, she had "bubbly stuff", after the incident, the FA came through to take drink orders once airborne, she ask for another "bubbly" drink, FA to woman: you can't have any more alcohol. That FA on a "power trip", disappeared to Y being replaced by a different one from Y.

I loathe moments like this when an unwitting customer (in any industry) all of the sudden becomes the target for an employee to work out their power issues.
af fp, sdadept, aoumd and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
No flight attendant has ever even looked at my phone to check whether or not it’s in Airplane Mode. Or my Kindle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.