FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL FA kicks off 4 pax (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1916949-dl-fa-kicks-off-4-pax.html)

jdrtravel Jun 28, 2018 11:04 am

DL FA kicks off 4 pax

Did not see another thread about this, but maybe I missed it. This came across my facebook feed and then I found this other website with a report. Looks like the FA seriously over reacted, at least from what we can see in the video (and I know we may be missing something).

https://heavy.com/news/2018/06/delta...deejay-reborn/

boeingguy1 Jun 28, 2018 11:10 am

Seems like a case of an FA on a power trip.

On a regional no less - has anyone else noticed regional FAs are more militant about airplane mode? Several flights this year I had regional FAs pace up and down checking everyone on their cell if it was on airplane mode. Anecdotal I know, but curious if anyone has had the same experiences.

Keith2004 Jun 28, 2018 11:10 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29916740)
Did not see another thread about this, but maybe I missed it. This came across my facebook feed and then I found this other website with a report. Looks like the FA seriously over reacted, at least from what we can see in the video (and I know we may be missing something).

https://heavy.com/news/2018/06/delta...deejay-reborn/

Does seem like an overreaction especially booting 4 pax off a plane,
Of course there is another side to this story.

Based on airport where it happened, may have not been many options for the booted passengers
Assuming it was a CRJ-200 (SkyWest), That plane raises everyone's blood pressure :o

The Situation Jun 28, 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by boeingguy1 (Post 29916765)

On a regional no less - has anyone else noticed regional FAs are more militant about airplane mode? Several flights this year I had regional FAs pace up and down checking everyone on their cell if it was on airplane mode. Anecdotal I know, but curious if anyone has had the same experiences.

You never know what FAs on regionals will enforce. Sometimes they are by the book, other times they make up their own rules. Always been this way, and always will be, but it has gotten a little better in the last 2-3 years (at least on CP and OO).

jdrtravel Jun 28, 2018 11:24 am

But if the pax claim is true that her phone was already in airplane mode, then this is not an issue of enforcing by the book, it's an issue of harassing the pax. Of course this is basically impossible to know.

jrl767 Jun 28, 2018 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Keith2004 (Post 29916769)
Based on airport where it happened, may have not been many options for the booted passengers ...

apparently the last flight of the evening from Fort Wayne ... nothing to do but come back the next morning

Ysitincoach Jun 28, 2018 11:38 am

SkyWorst is vicious with this.

Airplane mode one minute.
Outside alcohol consumed onboard another minute.

I’m curious if this is just a hot button issue drilled into them? Or were they reprimanded by the FAA to enforce these petty fault finding issues that are a blemish on their in cabin service?

dmac7273 Jun 28, 2018 12:53 pm

I also love the irony that had this passenger NOT turned on Airplane Mode, but just kept her phone hidden/stowed, this wouldn't have been an issue.

IMO, It's more of a "your phone is visible" issue than an "airplane mode" issue.

CALlegacy Jun 28, 2018 1:15 pm

I suppose a good strategy with all electronics is to just put it away before you walk down the jetway. A lot of people would not be able to stand to do that. I have no defense for this FA, but it is a fact some passengers push the issue right to the limit.

ATOBTTR Jun 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by boeingguy1 (Post 29916765)

I've personally found regional FA's to be more militant in numerous ways compared to mainline FA's. Of course, I've also had some very good regional FAs as well. Almost seems like its one extreme or the other on a regional. The FA's are either amazing or you get the Gestapo.

spudley007 Jun 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 29917308)
I've personally found regional FA's to be more militant in numerous ways compared to mainline FA's. Of course, I've also had some very good regional FAs as well. Almost seems like its one extreme or the other on a regional. The FA's are either amazing or you get the Gestapo.

I find that a lot has to do with the regional carrier. For example, G7 actually has a requirement that the FA's go up and down the aisle, reminding folks to put their devices into airplane mode. Kind of annoying. I usually find YX to not really care about much of anything, whether phones, recline seats, seat belts, etc. You never know what you're gonna get, so just go into airplane mode! Who knows, perhaps this person was texting and the FA could see...wasn't there.

nrr Jun 28, 2018 4:20 pm

I was flying in FC on an AA flt. from LAS to CLT. The seat config. per row, 2 seats (middle aisle) 2seats. I was seated in a window seat, a woman was next to me and her husband in the aisle seat in the same row. This plane had no overhead monitors, so the FA had to give the safety demonstration, the woman briefly said something to her husband (not loudly); the FA approached her: "do you want the plane to return to the gate to have you ejected?" That FA did pre-departure drinks, she had "bubbly stuff", after the incident, the FA came through to take drink orders once airborne, she ask for another "bubbly" drink, FA to woman: you can't have any more alcohol. That FA on a "power trip", disappeared to Y being replaced by a different one from Y.

indufan Jun 28, 2018 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach (Post 29916878)

Outside alcohol consumed onboard another minute.

This has Mormonism written all over it.

jdrtravel Jun 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 29917856)
I was flying in FC on an AA flt. from LAS to CLT. The seat config. per row, 2 seats (middle aisle) 2seats. I was seated in a window seat, a woman was next to me and her husband in the aisle seat in the same row. This plane had no overhead monitors, so the FA had to give the safety demonstration, the woman briefly said something to her husband (not loudly); the FA approached her: "do you want the plane to return to the gate to have you ejected?" That FA did pre-departure drinks, she had "bubbly stuff", after the incident, the FA came through to take drink orders once airborne, she ask for another "bubbly" drink, FA to woman: you can't have any more alcohol. That FA on a "power trip", disappeared to Y being replaced by a different one from Y.

I loathe moments like this when an unwitting customer (in any industry) all of the sudden becomes the target for an employee to work out their power issues.

AlastairGordon Jun 28, 2018 5:11 pm

No flight attendant has ever even looked at my phone to check whether or not it’s in Airplane Mode. Or my Kindle.