Wiki Posts
Search

DL FA kicks off 4 pax

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by pvn
FAs aren't children.
Really? On the partners they certainly seem to be.

MSP to ORD, two years ago, connecting from Orlando with spring breakers.

F steward pinches my butt cheek at one point.

He has managed to upgrade a 20-ish year-old woman from some small town in Minnesota to the seat next to me, on her first trip to the big city.

Then proceeds to serve her 5 Jack and Cokes (she asks for extra Jack by the third).

By number four, she's across me to look out the window, hand inconveniently resting in the only place she can find on my seat for support.

After drink five is served, FA, who cannot be more than 2-3 years older, asks for her number.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:05 pm

No response from Delta yet?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by sleeper.agent
No response from Delta yet?
Shifting gears: the appear to have replied to some Tweets; they do have to determine what happened; but they also need to get in front of the game and prevent anything turning into a United incident.

Last edited by kthomas; Jun 29, 2018 at 8:27 pm
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by kthomas
Shifting gears: the appear to have replied to Tweets; they do have to determine what happened; but they also need to get in front of the game and prevent anything turning into a United incident.
i hope they do come out in front of this quickly. Delta is not a great airline, but it’s not United.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I've flown on both SkyWest & Endeavor operating Delta Connection flights, night and day difference. Endeavor is basically a regular Delta flight with a smaller plane. SkyWest is like going back to the Wild West.
I had a good experience with SkyWest Thursday night, STL-SLC (I got the last UG seat). The FA who took care of the F cabin worked quite hard and was quite pleasant. I'm on OO next week, MSP-YXE; we'll see how that works out.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
Better for everyone on net. If you stand around and try to figure stuff out, you delay everyone else on the flight. If you take off and things boil over again, you take a diversion and again delay everyone else on the flight. What if one of the innocent bystanders is trying to get to their dying parent and they miss those last minutes because the captain didn't remove a problem passenger?

The best course of action is to take your crew members (who are professionals) at their word in the moment, and trust that the process works on the back end to correct problems. FAs aren't children.

Are there abuses? Sure. There's no process that's going to prevent or solve every single problem.
That is no reason not to try to continually improve processes so that customers are treated fairly and passenger safety and convenience are maintained. Just saying someone is a professional is manifestly not relevant.
If being a professional means (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession
(2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace,
then many people who merely have jobs do not act professionally. And if they are not, they should be re-trained to maintain professional standards. I do not believe that just trusting that the "process works on the back end" works very well in the face of people who abuse their position. This is why we have review boards for every real profession in one way or another. And they should act proactively, not just after someone's civil rights are violated or had their head bashed in or their surgery botched.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:34 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
yes, that's all true but tangental to the point you were replying to. Everyone agrees that training should be better, everyone agrees that policies should be proactive.

we're talking about what to do when the situation occurs. once you have a pre-flight confrontation, saying "well there should have been better de-escalation training" isn't helpful for figuring out what to do right there in that moment.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
yes, that's all true but tangental to the point you were replying to. Everyone agrees that training should be better, everyone agrees that policies should be proactive.

we're talking about what to do when the situation occurs. once you have a pre-flight confrontation, saying "well there should have been better de-escalation training" isn't helpful for figuring out what to do right there in that moment.
I thought we were talking about your suggestion that pilots should just do whatever FA's suggest without second guessing them?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I thought we were talking about your suggestion that pilots should just do whatever FA's suggest without second guessing them?
Well, that's not what I said, I said that usually deferring to the FA is the right decision. Of course there will be exceptions.

But yeah, what pilots should do on the plane when an confrontation occurs is the discussion. Having an opinion on that doesn't exclude additional steps being taken in other areas to try to lower the number of such confrontations.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by indufan
This has Mormonism written all over it.
Huh? I very much doubt that the overall religious composition of Skywest is significantly different than that of any of Delta's other regional carriers. Sure, Skywest HQ is in Utah but that does not mean that most FAs live there, especially one working a Fort Wayne flight.

And anyway, why would it make a difference to how FAs operate flights?

Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
While definitely going a little overboard with kicking 5 people off, she was technically following FAR’s and the captain has ultimate authority to remove passengers. I doubt anyone will get fired for this. Maybe a talking to to better diffuse the situation for next time.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by saxman66
While definitely going a little overboard with kicking 5 people off, she was technically following FAR’s and the captain has ultimate authority to remove passengers. I doubt anyone will get fired for this. Maybe a talking to to better diffuse the situation for next time.
What FAR requires them make a passenger show their phone to verify is off?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:39 am

misread, disregard
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:48 pm

Delra and SkyWest doing some damage control.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta...201425110.html

Funny that they replied to people on twitter but did not contact the actual pax involved.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, since it's the captain's responsibility, you would think that the captain would at least want to talk with the passengers first, before making a decision. Unfortunately, pilots tend to back up the FAs automatically and regardless of the circumstances.
The captain is absolutely not going to leave the cockpit to talk to passengers. If that was standard procedure, you'd have ill-motivated parties using disturbances to get captains out of cockpits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.