Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta DTW-LHR excess luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Delta DTW-LHR excess luggage

My wife and I are moving to London in July. Looking at options to either ship or check our excess stuff, I happened upon Delta's Excess Baggage website. I was hoping it would clear things up for me. Instead, it confused the crap out of me. Can someone help me make heads or tails of this? If I'm going between North America and Europe, am I on the hook for $100 per excess item or $285???

1. EUROPE AND NORTH AFRICA

GEOGRAPHIC REGION
FEES
(EACH WAY)
Travel between North/South/Central America and Europe or North Africa
Bags 3-10: 285 USD, 330 CAD* or 240 EUR* each

2. INTERNATIONAL

Europe and North Africa
GEOGRAPHIC REGION
FEES
(EACH WAY)
Travel between North/South/Central America and Europe or North Africa
100 USD, 120 CAD* or 85 EUR* for bags weighing 51-70 lbs (23 - 31.75 kg).

Last edited by highlanderfil; Jun 26, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I am not 100% certain about this, but I think that #1 refers to the number of bags, while #2 refers to bags that are over the 50# weight limit. So if you are not a medallion, your first bag is free, the second one is $100 (per the regular baggage page), and subsequent bags are $275 each, assuming they weigh less than 50#.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jun 26, 2018 at 8:47 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I am not 100% certain about this, but I think that #1 refers to the number of bags, while #2 refers to bags that are over the 50# weight limit. So if you are not a medallion, your first bag is free, the second one is $100 (per the regular baggage page), and subsequent bags are $275 each, assuming they weigh less than 50#.
I should never Internet late at night. You're absolutely spot on. Damn it...
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:33 am
Original Poster

So, I think this deserves a follow-up. We showed up at the airport with seven bags, fully expecting to pay $285x3 for the excess (DeltaOne, so first four were free). Imagine our surprise when the agent took all seven and waived us on our merry way. When I asked what we owed, she poker-faced us away. Guess the aircraft was half-empty on the day, because there's no other credible explanation I could come up with for this unprecedented act of generosity. Sure, we were fully-paid D1 pax, but zero status, so that was definitely a pleasant surprise. It's too bad that my company is very strict about its baggage reimbursement policy and the money saved basically was theirs, not ours, but at least we can now use the allowance to have my mum ship us some stuff from the U.S.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
That's pretty nice of that DL agent.

I've had LAX charge me the 2x $100 overweight charge for bags weighing 52 and 54 lbs, respectively. And that is when I had a 3 bag allowance too (so I was eligible for 150 lb of free baggage but only split 3 ways). I couldn't reduce the 52 lb bag as it was work equipment carefully packaged, and I didn't have space for 4 lb in my small carry-on backpack.

So just a note, not all DL agents are so helpful in this area.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rule One - Never ask what you owe. If there is an add/collect, you may be assured that the agent will say so.

While it is very nice of the agent to have done this for you, it shows how poorly DL trains its employees. At a time that margins are being cut by rising fuel prices, her failure to follow her employer's rules cost her employer $855 in revenue.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
That's pretty nice of that DL agent.

I've had LAX charge me the 2x $100 overweight charge for bags weighing 52 and 54 lbs, respectively. And that is when I had a 3 bag allowance too (so I was eligible for 150 lb of free baggage but only split 3 ways). I couldn't reduce the 52 lb bag as it was work equipment carefully packaged, and I didn't have space for 4 lb in my small carry-on backpack.

So just a note, not all DL agents are so helpful in this area.
Oh, I know that very well. I also initially thought this whole thing was going to go poorly because she made me take out a book from one of my bags so as not to go over the 50 lbs mark. Seriously, of all seven, ONE bag was over, by ONE pound. Usually it's a portend of bad things to come. It was an easy enough fix, but I prepared for everything to get difficult from that point forward, but it took quite a detour in the end.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Rule One - Never ask what you owe. If there is an add/collect, you may be assured that the agent will say so.

While it is very nice of the agent to have done this for you, it shows how poorly DL trains its employees. At a time that margins are being cut by rising fuel prices, her failure to follow her employer's rules cost her employer $855 in revenue.
I didn't even know they were allowed to do this, to be honest, and was fully prepared to pay it (not my pocket the money comes out of, anyways, like I said).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.