Search

Pilot greeting at the door

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Pilot greeting at the door

I am often amused when I get the Delta flight survey-
Did the gate agent acknowledge you by your name and say thanks ...well, it doesn't matter to me. My name is a difficult name and i don't expect the agent to thank me personally by mentioning my name. However, I once lost a flight because the gate agent couldn't pronounce my name and I thought she was calling someone else for the last seat in the plane. I suggest, like in fast food restaurant, receiving a number. We thank passenger 007 for flying Delta.
Did the Pilot greet you at the door? No sir, he has (I hope) other things to do. I almost fear looking at the cockpit door, as it could be presumed as a security threat.
Was the plane clean? No, it never is-trash bin in the toilet full, toilet floor wet, ....
Anything else you would like to complain? The crossword puzzle was half completed...
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Being that the gate agents get held accountable for using the passengers name, I see nothing amusing about the attempt. Same for the Pilot(s). I cannot recall having a dirty bathroom at the start of my flight, the end of the flight is a different story.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gynob001
I am often amused when I get the Delta flight survey-

Did the gate agent acknowledge you by your name and say thanks

Did the Pilot greet you at the door?
I don't really care if they do or don't, however I hate the survey asks me without asking if I care. I mean I don't want to get people in trouble, also don't want to lie. I wish there were an I don't care option. I feel like the I don't remember option counts as a no.

After a bad landing, I actually hope the pilot isn't there. I feel bad for them, like a walk of shame but they just have to stand there.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Gynob001;29909111]
Did the Pilot greet you at the door? No sir, he has (I hope) other things to do. I almost fear looking at the cockpit door, as it could be presumed as a security threat.
[/QUOTE]

On my last DL flight the pilot was on the ramp helping to load gate checked bags on the baggage cart and then found time to personally introduce himself to passengers in F.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:46 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by defrosted
I don't really care if they do or don't, however I hate the survey asks me without asking if I care. I mean I don't want to get people in trouble, also don't want to lie. I wish there were an I don't care option. I feel like the I don't remember option counts as a no.
FWIW, I don't think they really care if we care or not, they just want to know if the employees are following the directives.

There is some separate process they use to determine if people actually want that treatment or not. Clearly we're in the minority.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:01 pm

After a bad landing, I actually hope the pilot isn't there. I feel bad for them, like a walk of shame but they just have to stand there.
Im curious as to what you mean by that.... You do realise that some weather/wind conditions require the pilots to set the aircraft down with...shall we say...authority? A firm..or even hard landing is not automatically "bad".. just sayin…..
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Unless I actually do get a "farewell" from the pilot, I always put "Do Not Remember", as I don't want the pilot to get in trouble for a "no" (I don't know if they do; I just don't know why the surveys ask it otherwise). But especially if I'm towards the front of the aircraft and one of the first off the plane, I get that the pilot is still probably running post-flight checklists or doing what they need to do for the next flight as I head past the flight deck, which I view as more important than greeting me at the flight deck door as I walk off.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Unless I actually do get a "farewell" from the pilot, I always put "Do Not Remember", as I don't want the pilot to get in trouble for a "no" (I don't know if they do; I just don't know why the surveys ask it otherwise). But especially if I'm towards the front of the aircraft and one of the first off the plane, I get that the pilot is still probably running post-flight checklists or doing what they need to do for the next flight as I head past the flight deck, which I view as more important than greeting me at the flight deck door as I walk off.
I do the same, for the same reason. Surely the pilot or co-pilot have more pressing things to attend to than saying goodbye to departing passengers. When they do, I always say thank you but it really isn't necessary.

I've been noticing quite a few questions like that on these surveys lately. Just things that couldn't possibly matter less, but you can tell by the way the question is asked that they've directed their employees to do it. I don't want to get anyone in trouble so I just say N/A or Do Not Remember or whatever the equivalent option is. Same goes for the GA acknowledging you by name, I honestly hate that so I'd really prefer they don't.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
Im curious as to what you mean by that.... You do realise that some weather/wind conditions require the pilots to set the aircraft down with...shall we say...authority? A firm..or even hard landing is not automatically "bad".. just sayin…..
Yes I do realise that. I know I am not a pilot, and have no qualifications to correctly identify a "good" vs "bad" landing. I also didn't say firm or hard.

To answer your question, when I wrote it I thought about the times we hit the runway, bounce, then hit it again. I would assume based purely on speculation that isn't what they intended to do. I would think pilots, despite weather, try and avoid bouncing a multi million dollar plane filled with humans down the runway, just sayin...

For the record, humor aside, on what I thought was a humorous thread, any landing where I, or other passengers, don't get injured or die, is a good landing in my books.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
FWIW, I don't think they really care if we care or not, they just want to know if the employees are following the directives.

There is some separate process they use to determine if people actually want that treatment or not. Clearly we're in the minority.
Good points. Perhaps I was reading too much into the survey questions.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
This, and I certainly don't want DL to decide that it would be a good thing to keep the seat belt sign on after we park at the gate until the pilot is ready for the farewell parade.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
I actually think the pilot greeting at the door is a good idea. Whether it's valid or not, I think many people may feel a bit better being able to eyeball the guy (largely unseen) who's going to have their lives in his hands for the next however long. They can see that he/she doesn't appear to be drunk, off his meds and liable to fly the plane into a mountain, and seems, at a glance, to be a person with his or her .... together.

Getting off the plane? Not so much, get out of my way I have to pee.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
For the record, humor aside, on what I thought was a humorous thread, any landing where I, or other passengers, don't get injured or die, is a good landing in my books.
I'd also add 'landed in the scheduled city' to the list of good landings.

Had my first abort and go round experience a few weeks back- cockpit and FAs were extremely professional and once the pilot had gotten back to the 'communicate' part of the priority list (aviate-navigate-communicate) he did a good job of explaining what was happening with high wind problems and Salt Lake City and how they were discussing it with operations whether to wait for the winds to fade in SLC or divert to Las Vegas. And I regard it as a good landing on the second try that it was completed in SLC rather than Las Vegas.

Did get a survey about my recent travel delay after that one, though it seemed to be the stock one because there was a 10 minute departure delay (something about IT issue/duplicate seat assignments) rather than the hour plus arrival delay due to the wind issues. I'm glad the surveys have a short answer question because it was nice to say that the departure delay was not at all relevant compared to the other issues with the flight, and that cockpit and FAs did a great job getting us to SLC safely.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
On DL I've had a few instances of a pilot greeting...kind of. Mostly out of BDA to JFK (and once SLC to JFK before a dreadful redeye), I've occasionally had the pilot come out after pre-flight checks and say hi to the passengers in the front cabin and give mostly the same spiel he gave over the loudspeaker, but even though it's the most minor of things I thought it was a really nice touch for flights that are usually impersonal and dreary. Example of a little bit going a long way.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond
On my last flight, the pilot came out and gave us an in depth discussion of our flight plan and how we were going to make the 37 minute journey from ATL to BNA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.