Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone know what's going to happen to the MSY Sky Club?

Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN

The New Orleans International Airport is currently building a new terminal, which is intended to supersede the old terminal sometime in early 2019. All airlines will essentially transition to the new terminal overnight. There has been plenty of info about different airport venders. However, I've heard nothing about a new Delta Sky Club or any other lounge. Anyone know what's going to happen with the MSY Sky Club once the transition is made to the new terminal?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
There will be a new SkyClub in the new terminal in the post-security area. It wall be larger and will have the more modern design with a larger bar and food service areas. Entry on the Gate level and the Club 1 level up. It's also supposed to have runway views.

It's my understanding that all gates will be accessible from a central security access, which I imagine will be a zoo. Therefore, it;s a good thing that Club access will require a same day BP on DL.

I have not seen plans but the foregoing is what I've gotten from conversations with some of the DL folks I know.
brewdog11 and hortkie like this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
There will be a new SkyClub in the new terminal in the post-security area. It wall be larger and will have the more modern design with a larger bar and food service areas. Entry on the Gate level and the Club 1 level up. It's also supposed to have runway views.

It's my understanding that all gates will be accessible from a central security access, which I imagine will be a zoo. Therefore, it;s a good thing that Club access will require a same day BP on DL.

I have not seen plans but the foregoing is what I've gotten from conversations with some of the DL folks I know.
Good to hear that the club will live on! I wonder if BA will contract with the SC to offer lounge access to their business class/elite pax.
NOLAnwGOLD likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I can imagine security becoming a total zoo/mess with a large central access queue. While it'll be nice to get a new larger and updated SC, it was nice going to the D terminal and having almost no wait in the precheck line.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Good to hear that the club will live on! I wonder if BA will contract with the SC to offer lounge access to their business class/elite pax.
I dont think DL does that anywhere. A PP lounge will almost certainly be opened.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:52 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
What does BA do now? Is there no PP lounge at MSY?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by rylan
I can imagine security becoming a total zoo/mess with a large central access queue. While it'll be nice to get a new larger and updated SC, it was nice going to the D terminal and having almost no wait in the precheck line.
That's my concern about DCA too once it goes to a centralized security access point.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I saw a list somewhere that included a Delta Sky Club, United Club, and a Priority Pass lounge will be included in the new terminal. I will update as soon as I find out.

Here is an article from today which talks about the vendors and food options that will be available. Much better than what is there now. They are scheduled to do an overnight move across the runway sometime in February 2019! As a local to MSY, I'm looking forward to it. I have a feeling parking will be a challenge, and the ride to the rental car facility will not be fun.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
What does BA do now? Is there no PP lounge at MSY?
There is no PP lounge at MSY - the SC is the only lounge there. There are no lounge facilities at all for BA pax. Condor pax flying J to FRA are out of luck, as well. As of now, BA provides pax eligible for lounge access a voucher (I think it's around $17) for food and drink at terminal bars/restaurants. I guess BA will find a way to contract with someone in the new terminal. A new lounge will be a much bigger improvement over the crappy Atrium Lounge in Concourse C.

Originally Posted by rylan
Hopefully it will be a streamlined, adequately-staffed checkpoint. Security at MSY can already be zoo.

Originally Posted by saxman66
I saw a list somewhere that included a Delta Sky Club, United Club, and a Priority Pass lounge will be included in the new terminal. I will update as soon as I find out.

Here is an article from today which talks about the vendors and food options that will be available. Much better than what is there now. They are scheduled to do an overnight move across the runway sometime in February 2019! As a local to MSY, I'm looking forward to it. I have a feeling parking will be a challenge, and the ride to the rental car facility will not be fun.
This is the article that precipitated this question. I'm really excited for the new airport! I have to wonder why they built the rental car facility where it is when they knew a new terminal would be in the works, though.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by saxman66

I use PNF for parking and I'm sure they won't abandon their existing lot (which they've been refurbishing). I imagine that all of the parking on Airline will just mean a longer bus ride or paying a higher price at the terminal. I can also envision new parking being developed along Veterans to the west of the present I-10 flyover.

The smart thing re the Rental Cars would be a shared shuttle but one must remember, it's Louisiana and the 'smart, logical thing' is never the choice - always the one that someone connected can make $ from.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:31 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
WOW! Seems like it will be a nice improvement for the airport in general. The current one is piecemeal though a very familiar spot for me.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: Free agent
While I'm happy to see the new terminals go up, I think the overnight swap to the new facility is going to be an absolute nightmare. I plan on scheduling my travel to stay out of there for at least a few months. Nothing down there works right, no reason to think this will either.
brewdog11 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
Good news concerning the rental car facility. A $100 million dollar bond issuance was approved last week by the airport board to move forward with a new rental car facility near the new terminal. Initially, the shuttle to the CONRAC on the southside of the airport property will have to suffice, but by the end of 2019/early 2020 the new rental car facility should be open. Still will require a short shuttle ride over the new facility, but much better than what we'll see initially.

The parking crunch should also be relieved as a new garage to the east of the new terminal along with the one currently in place north of the new terminal will be open by Feb. 2019. There will also be a new surface lot to the west of the terminal. The current parking garages on the southside of the property will turn into a mix of employee and economy parking. Employee parking will be in the current short term garage and economy parking will be in the current long term garage. Not sure if the current credit card lot will be used, but I imagine it will. Once the CONRAC on the northside is open, the plan is to convert the existing CONRAC into additional economy parking. There are 18 shuttles on order to service the southside of the airport once the new terminal opens. These shuttles will be using Bainbridge to access the new terminal. That will help keep some traffic away from the Loyola/Vets intersection.

As of now there will be 2 clubs in the new terminal. A Delta Skyclub and a United Club. Both will be located in or near Concourse C. The Skyclub will be 2 floors with great views of the runway. The United Club will be a ground level club. There are rumors that an independent lounge will also open over in Concourse B, but nothing confirmed as of yet.

The biggest issue will continue to be access from I-10. An RFP for a design-build contractor will be issued in January 2019 to build the new flyover ramps at Loyola. Construction should start at some point later into 2019, and will likely be finished by 2023. In other words, expect serious traffic issues at Loyola and I-10 due to capacity constraints and construction. There are some improvements going on right now to help traffic flow, but it's still going to be a mess. I think I'll just park down at the Park N Fly and shuttle over until the flyover ramps are done.
brewdog11, oopsz and SuperG1955 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ASDwxguy
Good news concerning the rental car facility. A $100 million dollar bond issuance was approved last week by the airport board to move forward with a new rental car facility near the new terminal. Initially, the shuttle to the CONRAC on the southside of the airport property will have to suffice, but by the end of 2019/early 2020 the new rental car facility should be open. Still will require a short shuttle ride over the new facility, but much better than what we'll see initially.

The parking crunch should also be relieved as a new garage to the east of the new terminal along with the one currently in place north of the new terminal will be open by Feb. 2019. There will also be a new surface lot to the west of the terminal. The current parking garages on the southside of the property will turn into a mix of employee and economy parking. Employee parking will be in the current short term garage and economy parking will be in the current long term garage. Not sure if the current credit card lot will be used, but I imagine it will. Once the CONRAC on the northside is open, the plan is to convert the existing CONRAC into additional economy parking. There are 18 shuttles on order to service the southside of the airport once the new terminal opens. These shuttles will be using Bainbridge to access the new terminal. That will help keep some traffic away from the Loyola/Vets intersection.

As of now there will be 2 clubs in the new terminal. A Delta Skyclub and a United Club. Both will be located in or near Concourse C. The Skyclub will be 2 floors with great views of the runway. The United Club will be a ground level club. There are rumors that an independent lounge will also open over in Concourse B, but nothing confirmed as of yet.

The biggest issue will continue to be access from I-10. An RFP for a design-build contractor will be issued in January 2019 to build the new flyover ramps at Loyola. Construction should start at some point later into 2019, and will likely be finished by 2023. In other words, expect serious traffic issues at Loyola and I-10 due to capacity constraints and construction. There are some improvements going on right now to help traffic flow, but it's still going to be a mess. I think I'll just park down at the Park N Fly and shuttle over until the flyover ramps are done.
Thank you for your informative post. It's crazy to me that they're building another new rental car facility, but it will be good for business in the long run. I wonder what they'll do with the old facility.

I hope that the distance factor decreases long-term parking prices, for sure. I always laughed at short term vs. long term parking at MSY since long-term is really just as convenient (although it's harder to find a spot sometimes that's not on the roof of the garage).

As for the SkyClub, that sounds amazing. I don't really fly DL that much anymore so I no longer have a membership, but it sounds like I'll have to give it a try next time I'm traveling through MSY on a DL flight. Fingers crossed for an American Airlines Admirals Club!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Thank you for your informative post. It's crazy to me that they're building another new rental car facility, but it will be good for business in the long run. I wonder what they'll do with the old facility.
It's right there in his post - they're going to convert the old CONRAC to additional economy parking.

I'll say this - the airport desperately needs more parking. It's catchment area runs from Lafayette to Pensacola and on holiday weekends all the off-site lots fill up early friday. Even long term parking can be hard to come by.

I prefer USPark but my last few family trips I haven't been able to get a spot there. Recently we've just said screw it on parking and taken a cab or UberXL.
brewdog11 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.