Wiki Posts
Search

Passport emergency !!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Poster wasn't talking about entering. Instead was talking about what happens if your passport expires WHILE IN country. You no longer have a valid passport, and thus no longer have a valid visa to be in country. Doesn't need to be the same one the visa is in. However you must have a valid passport.

Regarding your post. Note a number of countries do only consider the visa valid till expiration of passport attached to. You need a new one with new passport.
indeed just like a US ESTA expires after 2 years or when the passport expires if that is less than two years. Similarly a tourist visa is for the shorter of 90days or when passport expires if less than that.

When i am next due an ESTA in 2019 it will only last approx 15 months due to my passport expiry date.

My GE status will however extend over to my new passport

a friend end of mine carries his most recently expired passport on trips to a certain country because he has a visa in it and he has no problems with presenting them both together.

on one trip to the US I got the usual 90 day WT stamp but my companion only 50 days and a cheery reminder from the CBP office that his passport needed renewing.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response to post #67 above by WhiskeyBravo:

This generalization is false. An example is the ten year visa issued to USA citizens by China.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

This generalization is false. An example is the ten year visa issued to USA citizens by China.
You're misunderstanding what is being said. Read my post 74 for better understanding. This isn't avout entering using a passport and visa in old expired passport. This is about entering using valid passport with visa in it, and the passport expiring. You need a valid passport for the visa to be valid.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I'm totally trying to be friendly about this response, but I think this is a characterstic situation in the USA where parents are coddling their kids.

Tell your daughter's husband that if he wants to go on a international trip, then get off his a s s and get his passport renewed.

If there is any balking, then that means he (and perhaps your daughter) don't want to go on a trip with you.

Sorry, but actions speak louder than words.
I'm the first to say we've gotten lazy in the US. However what you describe isn't realistic anywhere. Well maybe France where employees can't seem to ever be let go!

You cant just call boos and say, oh i need a passport renewed, so I'm not coming in tomorrow, but see you the day after. The day after you'll have your termination notice when you show up. Most people need their job, and aren't in a position to dictate to the boss when they'll show up for work.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:04 am

Well to be fair considering the trip was booked in September even a US worker who can't easily take a day of as you said had more than enough time to check in travel documents and get off his ... and fix it.

It's something I've seen in a lot of US Americans who are not frequent travelers. They don't think about id they don't research entry visa and qualifications and just assume no one will refuse an American entry (like asking about entering Europe on an expired passport)

When I start planning a trip - even when my gran used to pay for me to join her on trips as an adult and babysit my cousins one of the things I would do right at that point is check my travel documents and not let anyone book anything for me or book anything for myself unless a) my passport is valid or b) I had at least eight weeks to get a new one issued (the local passport office is slow).
When I planned for my US trip later this year I first checked with the friends I'm meeting up with about dates, then with work to get the time off approved and then checked the validity of my passport (will be 364 days valid on entry to the US) and my esta (will have 11 months left on it) before I booked any non refundable flights.

It's even more aggravating as they are going to a wedding. Not only might the OP be out of an expensive non refundable ticket. No they might hurt the bride or grooms feelings and make them lose money too.
A friend if mine is getting married in another country next month and one of her guests just texted HER in a panic because their passport is expired and can they enter the country just on an I D card? And how do I fix that and not lose the money for a flight?
People are lazy and sometimes super selfish about letting other people fix their problems.

He could have at least done some research into letting a service or his father in law get the passport for him. At least over here there are forms for that I did apply for my dad's new ID when he was in hospital. He had to pick it up himself but in the case of the OP the Friday afternoon appointment would have done for that. I do think it is rather lazy and irresponsible to leave it to the OP to ask here instead of doing things himself.
But man I wish we had fast passport renewal options like that. Fastest for a real passport (not the interim one others mentioned) is officially 3-4 working days after application and an extra fee
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:47 am

I'm the first to say we've gotten lazy in the US. However what you describe isn't realistic anywhere. Well maybe France where employees can't seem to ever be let go!

You cant just call boos and say, oh i need a passport renewed, so I'm not coming in tomorrow, but see you the day after. The day after you'll have your termination notice when you show up. Most people need their job, and aren't in a position to dictate to the boss when they'll show up for work.
Remind me not to go to work for you since you apparently have this zero tolerance policy. I can say that if any of my employees called and said "I need a day off this week to go get my passport" I would let them have it. (That said I would wonder about how they were stupid enough to get in this situation)

Personally if I had been the OP and the young man had been difficult or expecting me to pay for his expedited service and he's flying on my miles..... ticket cancelled.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Remind me not to go to work for you since you apparently have this zero tolerance policy. I can say that if any of my employees called and said "I need a day off this week to go get my passport" I would let them have it. (That said I would wonder about how they were stupid enough to get in this situation)

Personally if I had been the OP and the young man had been difficult or expecting me to pay for his expedited service and he's flying on my miles..... ticket cancelled.
I would understand, never said I wouldn't. However most aren't lucky enough to have;
1) a boss nice enough to understand and most importantly,
2)a job that you can just skip out on for a day , with no issues/consequences due to lack of whatever their job is.

Where did OP say, son expected OP to pay for the fees? I may have missed that part. He did say they couldn't afford a $600 agency fee in response to a suggestion about them using one. Never said they expected him to pay it, or that even brought it up to them.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 26, 2018 at 6:11 am
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:58 am

I would understand, never said I wouldn't. However most aren't lucky enough to have;
1) a boss nice enough to understand and most importantly,
2)a job that you can just skip out on for a day , with no issues/consequences due to lack of whatever their job is.

Where did OP say, son expected OP to pay for the fees? I may have missed that part. He did say they couldn't afford a $600 agency fee in response to a suggestion about them using one. Never said they expected him to pay it, or that even brought it up to them.
The statement about "I ain't paying for it" lead met to believe there may have been some expectation that the OP would pay for it.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Maybe if you are talking specifically about a certain place. But you cannot make a generalization like that. There are many countries where you can use the visa in your old passport. Especially with things like 10-year visas, it just doesn't make sense otherwise.
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Just as a point of reference, my 10-year Indian tourist visa and 3-year UAE Residence Visa were both accepted by the respective countries while affixed to an expired US passport.

Here is the post I was responding too (and quoted in my response). Bolding mine.
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Just out of curiosity, when exiting Europe on exit check, do they care about expired passport at all?

And yes, some countries will accept that but only if you need a visa to visit in the first place. US and Canada are among these countries. I don't believe visa-waiver or visa on arrival works in this case with an expired passport.
As you can see, I was not generalizing to all countries, and responded to a question specifically about exiting Europe (which isn't a single place, let's assume andersonCooper was talking about Schengen). I definitely wasn't talking about China, the USA, or the UAE, or India.

Schengen countries will not issue a visa valid beyond the expiring of your travel document.
Section 4.1.1 really covers it, more notes in 9.1.1.1
https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/si...lidated_en.pdf
There are a few exceptions, but they are just that - exceptional circumstances.

HTH!
Safe Travels!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
The statement about "I ain't paying for it" lead met to believe there may have been some expectation that the OP would pay for it.
Negative, what that meant was that I ain't offering either.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
It’s really good to see all the Flyertalkers here trying to help out. I hope all works out. But one does wonder if the son-in-law is being passive aggressive and just doesn’t want to go.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Thanks everyone for the help and comments. Let me just say a couple things why we are in this situation.
I am not sure why some people thing my SOL is , lazy, passive aggressive or otherwise just plain stupid. I am sure there are plenty of "smart" people that have forgotten something like this.
They are young, never had to deal with looking after these things. They are in between two places and are living in temporary place right now. It's a bit chaotic.

None of this has any bearing on the task at hand and if there was anything really wrong with his behavior I wouldn't be here to ask for advice.
Again, thanks to all of you who commented with constructive advice.
CKDGM, flyerCO, gckja and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:11 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Frogbone
I am not sure why some people thing my SOL is , lazy, passive aggressive or otherwise just plain stupid.
It's flyertalk, that's what people do here. Honestly I was surprised he didn't get even more roasted than he did given what I've seen in the past.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
I got mine done at a federal building before in 30 minutes, including extra pages and everything. I wasn't even in a rush, they just told me to go get a coffee and come back.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM

I have eight years left on my China visa and seven years left on my US passport that has it. Are you saying for a year after my passport expires, I can use the visa in the old passport together with my new renewed passport?
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.